usa palcohol u.s. treasury snorting cocktails

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,137 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:04

The U.S. Treasury's Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau has just approved powdered alcohol.

The alcohol powder that will be coming to the States includes vodka and rum powders, along with powdered cocktails like Lemon Drop, Cosmopolitan, Mojito and Margarita. They're all going to be marketed under the brand "Palcohol."

The Internet has greeted Palcohol with skepticism. Gawker calls Palcohol "a product that, in the wrong hands, could make the darkest days of the Four Loko era look tame."

This cached version of the Palcohol website — pre-federal approval — features a list of "possibilities" for the product. The list includes dodging expensive booze prices at clubs and concert, smuggling alcohol into the big game, and mixing powdered vodka into your next omelet.

"Let's talk about the elephant in the room ... snorting Palcohol. Yes, you can snort it. And you'll get drunk almost instantly because the alcohol will be absorbed so quickly in your nose. Good idea? No. It will mess you up. Use Palcohol responsibly."

In all fairness, the company's cleaned up their act after getting federal approval, which apparently caught them off-guard. Palcohol's new toned-down site reads, "The verbiage that was copied was still in draft mode. ... Please disregard what is being printed as a result of information taken from the earlier version of this site."

Palcohol is expected to hit the shelves this fall. As with all alcohol products, use Palcohol responsibly and safely.

more

#2 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,463 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:09

I heard about this on the radio this morning. I'm curious to know what percentage of the powder is alcohol. I would assume it has to be extremely high if it's meant to be mixed with water. (and still remain at a normal alcohol percentage afterwards)

If this powder is simply alcohol and flavoring, then it seems pretty dangerous. What prevents someone (albeit, a stupid someone) from eating several packets at once and dying of alcohol poisoning? Or, spiking someone's already alcoholic drink with a few packets of this stuff. Yeah, I don't see any way this could blow up in their faces.

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,137 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:13

Does it mix with pudding ?

#4 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,715 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:34

how exactly do they dehydrate alcohol?

#5 srjallan

srjallan

Neowinian

• 115 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:46

Question is, how long will it be before someone tries snorting this and runs in to serious health issues? Seems dangerous.

#6 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,137 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:50

how exactly do they dehydrate alcohol?

According to food chemist Udo Pollmer of the European Institute of Food and Nutrition Sciences in Munich, alcohol can be absorbed in cyclodextrines, a sugar derivate. In this way, encapsuled in small capsules, the fluid can be handled as a powder.

http://en.wikipedia..../Alcohol_powder

#7 panacea

panacea

technical cannibal

• 6,056 posts
  • Phone: htc one

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:54

A_toast_to_C2H5OH_by_UnrealCanine.png

#8 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,261 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:01

Hrm.  If somebody packages it in little packets like sugar for your coffee, I could feed two addictions at once.  Multitasking.

#9 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,670 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:06

Question is, how long will it be before someone tries snorting this and runs in to serious health issues? Seems dangerous.

My first thought when reading this was what would happen if you tried to snort it like cocaine.

#10 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,143 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:08

Can't see it ending well.

#11 panacea

panacea

technical cannibal

• 6,056 posts
  • Phone: htc one

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:13

My first thought when reading this was what would happen if you tried to snort it like cocaine.

just mix both together, and then you wont have to spend any money inside the club at all.

:rofl:

#12 ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf

Neowinian Fanatic

• 2,051 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:34

I can see someone at a large office secretly replacing all the sugar packets with this stuff... :shiftyninja:

#13 xrobwx

xrobwx

Neowinian

• 768 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:34

If this powder is simply alcohol and flavoring, then it seems pretty dangerous. What prevents someone (albeit, a stupid someone) from eating several packets at once and dying of alcohol poisoning?

Johnny Raincloud here again......... :iiam: Just ask Philip Seymour Hoffman, Slipknot's Paul Gray,AC/DC's Bon Scott,Led Zeppelin's John Bonham, I could go on, and on. And, that's just a few from the music industry/Hollywood.

#14 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,000 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:42

So... Who's up for a line of this?

#15 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,918 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:45

So... Who's up for a line of this?

haha.  I Was going to post how long until someone snorts this.