31 replies to this topic

#1 Turk.

Turk.

Neowinian

• 581 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:58

By Zachary Crockett Apr 21, 2014
2vmbyn9.png
Last week, a man yelled “Heil Hitler,” and shot three people in front of a Jewish community center in Kansas City. It was one of thousands of hate crimes that will occur in the United States this year -- most of which you won't hear about.

The U.S. Congress currently defines a "hate crime" as "a criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.” While hate itself is not a crime, the FBI is "mindful of protecting freedom of speech and other civil liberties"

In 2012 alone, the bureau’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program identified 6,705 hate-motivated offenses, which include incidents of destruction, vandalism, assault, and intimidation. We've broken down the biases for these crimes below:
oix6c1.jpg
2zhhyyt.jpg
34pcjrs.jpg
9kz7gz.jpg
219nuy8.jpg
11kf68y.jpg
dvgg95.jpg
Source

#2 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,786 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:37

I don't understand why they removed hispanic and then put it underneath as a separate chart. Is it implying Hispanic is very low or that the "other" is all the rest and Hispanic is 59.4%? is Black hate crime 66% of the 40.6% remaining from the Hispanic chart?

Also, there is a massive discrepancy when it comes to reporting white hate crime (hate crime against white people). As in, it's almost considered racist to be white and say someone else is being racist against you. I even feel like it'd be considered racist to point out it's considerably racist to point out racism against white people; passed that it just gets ridiculous.

In my experience, which is most certainly biased as I am white, I see far more racism towards white people than any other race. I do see a lot of racism towards black people though.

This thread has potential to get pretty heated. So I'll say I mean no offense by anything I said, and if you took offense you need to calm yourselves.

#3 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,770 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:40

I don't understand why they removed hispanic and then put it underneath as a separate chart. Is it implying Hispanic is very low or that the "other" is all the rest and Hispanic is 59.4%? is Black hate crime 66% of the 40.6% remaining from the Hispanic chart?

Also, there is a massive discrepancy when it comes to reporting white hate crime (hate crime against white people). As in, it's almost considered racist to be white and say someone else is being racist against you. I even feel like it'd be considered racist to point out it's considerably racist to point out racism against white people; passed that it just gets ridiculous.

In my experience, which is most certainly biased as I am white, I see far more racism towards white people than any other race. I do see a lot of racism towards black people though.

This thread has potential to get pretty heated. So I'll say I mean no offense by anything I said, and if you took offense you need to calm yourselves.

According to some people on noewin it's impossible to be racist towards white people.

#4 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• 8,375 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:45

All people are a**holes, all the time.

#5 Nogib

Nogib

Neowinian

• 612 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 5

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:06

It is pretty true though.  Somehow when a black commits a crime against a white it isn't a hate crime yet the opposite is classified as such damn near 100% of the time.  There is TONS of racism against whites, just the minorities are too busy worrying about their own selfish needs than address the issue of racism as a whole.

#6 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:12

I find it so odd when people talk about racism, not one have I ever noticed someone because of their colour... Actually I take that back, my mom told me when i was 3, I seen a black couple for the first time and was speaking in shock "MOM MOM look at those BLUE people! Look mom they are BLUE! This happened in a crowded grocery store.

When I was three I always mixed up Black and blue. :)

She still says she was horrifyingly embarrassed even though it was 36 years ago.

#7 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,522 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:26

Where's Lutheran on the Religious hate crime pie chat!?

#8 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,968 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:31

9kz7gz.jpg

interesting, it seem those embrace any kind of religions are more hated than those who without, in America,

where its money said "In God We Trust" ...

#9 Stokkolm

Stokkolm

Neowinian Senior

• 3,009 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:39

6,705 reported incidents for a country that has almost 318,000,000 people isn't so bad.

I completely agree with you. Yes I'm white, but from what I can tell, racism from minorities toward Caucasians is the biggest (or at least fastest growing) form of racism in our country today. It has everything to do with the class warfare that our political parties have created. I have several black friends who comment all the time on how the poor black people in their families don't like white's because of their perceived inability to move up in the class structure of society. They think this way even though my friends are examples of people who were in their shoes at one time, who have improved their positions in society. The social elites are pulling the levers behind the curtain and convincing the population that their problems are caused by those other people. People of all kinds need to wake up and see beyond the smoke and mirrors and maybe the racial, religious, social, etc... tensions we have would dissipate a little bit. That's not to say there aren't people who have hate in their hearts, but most people are not hateful by nature.

#10 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,917 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:08

I only dislike ignorant, class-less people, and actors in TV commercials. :laugh:

11.3% Unknown ... must be the Aliens. :alien:

#11 OP Turk.

Turk.

Neowinian

• 581 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:01

The article's title actually is a bit misleading and pre judgemental as data derived only from "hate crimes in the US", not from ordinary US residents' thought, it implies as if all Americans are some sort of hate criminals which is arguably incorrect.
However had I modified the title on a controversial topic, though I modify or chop titles sometimes, I would have potentially been blamed as racist or something.
The title could have been: "Classification and rates of hate crimes in US". NTL, it gives a general perspective about hate crimes in the US, but stereotyping would definitely be wrong, IMHO.

#12 OP Turk.

Turk.

Neowinian

• 581 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:51

Moved here, Is this a domestic politics issue? Very interesting, indeed. :)

#13 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 4,913 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 16:35

Are these numbers per capita? If these are just totals then this is incredibly skewed.

#14 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,208 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 17:04

Pretty low numbers for a country of 300+ million people.  I'd like to see how these numbers have changed over the years.  I'd assume that the number of cases has decreased since religion is on the decrease and race is more diversified across the country.

As of lately, I wouldn't be surprised if people disliked each other more-so for political beliefs rather than race or religion.

#15 xrobwx

xrobwx

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

• 997 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 23 April 2014 - 17:18

This was copied from the source originally posted by williamrthomas. It equals my opinion about stats. Also, check the background of the writer....

Ahh statistics. Whites make up 63% of the population but only instigate 54% of hate crimes, while blacks make up 13% of the population and instigate 23% of the hate crimes. So whites commit more hate crimes in total, and blacks are more likely to commit a hate crime.