I thought I'd post my guide here also. Every guide I seen online is not detailed and we are all struggling to get things to work with their guides, so I thought I would post a detailed guide here as a contribution to the Neowin Community. If there is anything you'd like to know then leave a message or send me a private message. Cheers to all
What you need:
- install.wim image from the Windows installation media. If it is an install.esd image then you have to create a Virtual Machine and install Windows 8.1 on it. I will give instructions. The file is in the “Sources” folder which is in the Windows Install Media.
- A batch file called update.bat (Script is on the bottom of this guide)
- Windows updates downloader: http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/ProgramFiles.aspx
- Your main computer that you will perform this task on should be Windows 8.1. Install Windows ADK for Windows 8.1 here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn247001.aspx.
- You need to create a folder and name it whatever you like. Inside that folder you need to create another folder called: patches
- Copy your .wim file to the folder you created (NOT the patches folder)
- Copy the batch file to the same folder
- Now all you need is the updates that you will download from the “Windows Update Downloader”.
- Download the update list from this page: http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/UpdateLists.aspx (It’s a small file). Once finished downloading you need to Double Click it to add the list to the Windows Updates Downloader.
- In the Windows updates Downloader, choose the Security Updates, Non-Security Updates and both versions of .Net Framework. All the other updates are optional. All updates MUST be in the .msu format.
- Once the updates are downloaded you need to copy and paste all the updates in the “patches” folder. Make sure that you only copy the updates to the patches folder. In other words, there should be NO folders inside the patches folder. Only .msu (update) files can be in the patches folder.
- Now, the Structure of the folder you are working in should have only 3 items: a “patches folder”, update.bat file and an “install.wim” file. All .msu updates should be in the patches folder.
- Now Right click the update.bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Once it installs all the updates it will ask you to hit any key. Hit any key until is shows all the updates and continues. You will have to hit any key many times until it begins the last phase.
- Once it is finish, you can repeat step 7 through 9 for the Windows 8.1 update 1 files (There are 7 needed downloading).
- Download and place each update 1 updates in the patches folder. (Make sure all other updates are deleted). Put a number in front of each update by renaming them like I did here:
- Above will insure that the updates get installed in the proper order.
- Once everything is finished then you can replace the old .wim file in the Windows install media with the new one.
Convert .esd to .wim using a Virtual Machine:
What you need:
- Windows 8.1 ISO, DVD or USB stick made bootable with Windows 8.1
- Microsoft Hyper-V (included as an add-on in Windows 8.1 Pro) or Virtual Box
- These generic keys are to allow the correct version of Windows 8.1 to be installed. These keys are only to tell Windows what version to install. You will need your own purchased key to activate later.
- 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT for Non-Pro version
- XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB for Pro version
- Knowledge of these Virtual machines
- ImageX which comes with the Windows ADK for Windows 8.1
- Knowledge of the CMD command prompt.
- Knowledge of “SysPrep”
- Create a Virtual disk. The disk should be either VHD or VHDX
- Install Windows 8.1 in the virtual machine
- Press Ctrl + Shift + F3 when the Installation gets to the screen where you create a computer name. This will log you in automatically as the Administrator and start the SysPrep process.
- In the SysPrep preparation tool, make sure you choose “Enter system out of box experience”, and then check the box that says “Generalize”. The next drop-down menu: choose “Shutdown”. Click OK and the Virtual machine will shut down when finished.
- Now locate where the Virtual Disk that has Windows 8.1 installed on it.
- Mount that drive and give it a drive letter
- Make sure you installed ImageX which comes with the Windows ADK for Windows 8.1
- Click the Start button and type cmd for command prompt. In the search results choose “Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment”. A command black box will open.
- Type the following: imagex /compress maximum /capture F:\ C:\install.wim "Windows 8.1 Pro" (F is the drive letter you gave the virtual drive when you mounted it)
- Hit Enter and wait for it to finish.
- Look in the C drive and you will also see the install.wim file. This is the file you need to inject all those updates in to.
- You can now delete the Virtual drive.
Convert wim to esd:
Once you are finished injecting all the updates, and when the original file was an ESD file then you need to convert it back to an ESD file.
- Put the finished install.wim file in the C drive again.
- Open an elevated command prompt
- Type the following: dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"C:\install.wim" /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:"C:\install.esd" /Compress:recovery
- Hit the enter key
- It will take an hour or so to do this so have patients.
- Once it’s done you can replace the original install.esd file that is in the Windows Install disk/ISO/USB stick with the new one.
- Congratulations, you are now a master at making your own Windows 8.1 disk with the latest updates. J
Copy text below into a blank text document and name it update.bat
"c:\program files (x86)\windows kits\8.1\assessment and deployment kit\deployment tools\amd64\dism\Dism.exe" /Mount-Wim /WimFile:%~dp0install.wim /Index:1 /MountDir:%~dp0WIN8
"c:\program files (x86)\windows kits\8.1\assessment and deployment kit\deployment tools\amd64\dism\Dism.exe" /image:%~dp0WIN8 /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%~dp0patches"
"c:\program files (x86)\windows kits\8.1\assessment and deployment kit\deployment tools\amd64\dism\Dism.exe" /image:%~dp0WIN8 /Get-Packages | more
"c:\program files (x86)\windows kits\8.1\assessment and deployment kit\deployment tools\amd64\dism\Dism.exe" /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:%~dp0WIN8 /commit