• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 22 April 2014 - 19:55

I have Logitech Z4 2.1 speakers. I've only ever used Logitech, so you'd have to give me a good reason to go elsewhere.

I'm beginning to get that scratchy sound when listening to music/movies/youtube. It works fine, but I'm afraid it's seeing its days... :(

Any suggestion gents? I'm not getting it now, in a few months, but IMO, speakers don't change all that much overtime.

Budget is ~$100, if you have to push it, so be it.

#2 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 22 April 2014 - 20:04

Sometimes you can find these on sale for $100:

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218095770265

They will absolutely smash any of the 2.1 systems that Logitech offers.

#3 Setnom

Setnom

Neowinian

Posted 22 April 2014 - 20:10

I've had those Klipsch for years and years. Amazing product. The Logitech Z623s are also amazing. One of the two and you'll be well served.

#4 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 April 2014 - 20:16

I guess this means something, all Klipsch units are out of stock at Newegg. :laugh:

I'll keep my eye on BestBuy ads.

#5 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 22 April 2014 - 21:10

I've had these for a few years (2011, I think), and they are indeed amazing. The later models seem to have fixed reliability issues for the connector. 

#6 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 22 April 2014 - 21:11

The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 also has quality issues, lots of defective units. Mine died after 2 years. It was great while it lasted though, but I'd put more trust in the Logitech units. The Z623 looks good (and is more within your budget).

#7 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 22 April 2014 - 21:13

The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 also has quality issues, lots of defective units. Mine died after 2 years. It was great while it lasted though, but I'd put more trust in the Logitech units.

They've been making that system for probably over 10 years now, so the newer ones have fixed all those issues from the past.

So yeah it would be a good idea to buy them new from a store instead of picking up some used ones on Craigslist or something.

#8 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 22 April 2014 - 21:21

They've been making that system for probably over 10 years now, so the newer ones have fixed all those issues from the past.

I see recent user reviews mentioning the exact same issues, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

#9 +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 22 April 2014 - 21:35

I have had those and you cannot compare the bass of my current Logitech Z623 to those, the Z623 its truly superior in terms of bass, I tell you that much.

#10 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 23 April 2014 - 13:28

I have had those and you cannot compare the bass of my current Logitech Z623 to those, the Z623 its truly superior in terms of bass, I tell you that much.

The sub and satellites have the same power ratings, and the reviews say the bass is about the same, but the overall audio quality is better on the Klipsch.  Looks like Logitech went a little overboard on the cheap plastic on those.

#11 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 April 2014 - 13:37

This isn't really a consideration, but are bluetooth speakers any good?

#12 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 April 2014 - 13:53

I highly recommend the Harman Kardon SoundStick III. I absolutely love these speakers and they still amaze my ears after a year of having them.

They are slightly out of budget (though some used ones may align with the budget), but they are very much worth looking into if you can stretch the budget slightly.

#13 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 14:03

The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 also has quality issues, lots of defective units. Mine died after 2 years. It was great while it lasted though, but I'd put more trust in the Logitech units. The Z623 looks good (and is more within your budget).

Seconded, I try to stay away from them as well, they are good, but personal history with them, I found they couldn't take the abuse my Z3's already have, and keep going.

OP, if you want to try a different route, you might want to look into some micro or mini systems as a second consideration, some are pretty decent for that price point, and although you do lose a sub.

But if you go into systems like pioneer, teac, or denon, they don't need one (just a thought <I used to use my old Aiwa until it finally died after 25 years, but that was because when I first got into multimedia pc's I was a really cheap b*****d, although in retrospect, for my next rig I'll buy another mini or midi system...)

#14 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 23 April 2014 - 14:09

I highly recommend the Harman Kardon SoundStick III. I absolutely love these speakers and they still amaze my ears after a year of having them.

They are slightly out of budget (though some used ones may align with the budget), but they are very much worth looking into if you can stretch the budget slightly.

Ouch!  $170 and you only get a 20W sub.  That's pretty disappointing.  Kind of weird looking too.

#15 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 23 April 2014 - 14:15

Similar topic: http://www.neowin.ne...sktop-speakers/

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!