KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7

Just as a heads-up: Out of the blue a new update appeared as 'important' update on the fully patched Win7 machines at work - KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7.

I'm not reading too much into it, but boy, MS seem to want to avoid Windows 7 being the next Windows XP and get people on Windows 8.1, don't they?

It just sounds like they've found a possible issue with the upgrade to Windows 8 or even a future Windows. So they've patched it.

Not that i would upgrade to Windows 8 anyway. I'd fresh install it.

Just as a heads-up: Out of the blue a new update appeared as 'important' update on the fully patched Win7 machines at work - KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7.

I'm not reading too much into it, but boy, MS seem to want to avoid Windows 7 being the next Windows XP and get people on Windows 8.1, don't they?

We will soon find out, when people start posting that there Windows 7 PC's start crashing... Just like the all so convenient MSE bug on Windows XP pc's which caused them not to start up.

We will soon find out, when people start posting that there Windows 7 PC's start crashing... Just like the all so convenient MSE bug on Windows XP pc's which caused them not to start up.

That DID seem to be one heck of a coincidence, didn't it?!

I have absolutely NO plans on updating or upgrading to Windows 8 either.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

Just joined. I stop by here off and on to catch up on different topics, thought i would register so i could be (or try to) involved a lil. In any event.

One thing I notice about windows eight. in it's original description it was "designed" for touch screen, netbook, and app based systems, or users.... but the description keeps evolving this one can't be but a couple months old  (Get a new touchscreen PC and you can still work with a mouse, keyboard, and the Windows desktop the way you always have. Use virtually any printer. Programs that work on Windows 7 work on Windows 8.1. All the basics, from startup times to security, are better than ever.) from the MS Win8 page. I just dont think win8 was designed with me in mind. does any of that make sense?

Thanks for lettin me babble.

Steve

lol it aint happening.. I'll stick to Win 7 and then jump ship to Linux

Because? You can't get used to the startscreen thats going to be optional in Windows 8.1 Update 2/Windows 9, so let's more to a completely different system because that's going to be so much easier?

Because? You can't get used to the startscreen thats going to be optional in Windows 8.1 Update 2/Windows 9, so let's more to a completely different system because that's going to be so much easier?

I just didn't like the square-box theme aka Metro-something-something...  :p

• 1 year later...

Today on my computer this update keeps installing in a loop.

v0DuIPG.png

(Rant warning)

I got this too. Been on the MS answer forum and people are reporting it. (44 on the thread I saw that was started today).

I know people are saying there is nothing to worry about on July 29th but ever since the "telemetry" update there have been bugs in these pre-Win10 updates.

Even now, there is a bug in the "Get Windows 10" app that shows the incorrect date as to when the compatibility program has run. Of all things, to have these programs have bugs that will make "first impressions" on users, you have to wonder what the heck is going on?

I had already decided that there is no way I'm going to upgrade until at least 2 weeks after July 29th.