must be a blown doll russian bride

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:47

right now i'm having late night snack with her (i named her Rachel), then let's see if i get lucky... :blush:

... and install Windows Server 2012 R2 on her. :laugh:

Which port are you going to plug into?

#17 OP Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:00

Which port are you going to plug into?

gonna install via USB but this is just to fidle with pre-made VMs i have to see the performance; then i'm going to use the N54L for backups, data repository, Plex and join it to my home lab.

#18 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:03

gonna install via USB but this is just to fidle with pre-made VMs i have to see the performance; then i'm going to use the N54L for backups, data repository, Plex and join it to my home lab.

ngNYR0t.jpg

#19 OP Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:07

ngNYR0t.jpg

lol i was reading your post and i thought "damn english, i don't understand if he's serious or just trolling"... :laugh:

#20 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:41

So thats where my server went... please send to Magalia, CA USA... thank you

#21 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 24 April 2014 - 16:35

How much did you pay for it? I ended up getting a Gen8 for $349 and I'm going to upgrade the cpu later to the Xeon E3 when its affordable. Right it'll make for a perfect FreeNAS box as a backup to my ISCSI Promise Raid

#22 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 24 April 2014 - 16:55

Yup, typical Amazon.  I received a laptop yesterday from them and it came in a box that could have held 10 of those laptops and had about 30 feet of those inflatable air packages filling the gaps.  

They could greatly decrease their operating costs if they learned how to package things efficiently.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 24 April 2014 - 17:03

Yup, typical Amazon.  I received a laptop yesterday from them and it came in a box that could have held 10 of those laptops and had about 30 feet of those inflatable air packages filling the gaps.  

They could greatly decrease their operating costs if they learned how to package things efficiently.

If they're like sites over here. it's packed by robots so everything ends up in the same box.

though the robots aren't usually used for bigger items like that, and they're usually shipped in their regular manufacturer box. most manufacturers double box anyway, with  grey shipping box outside the actual box. The robots also don't do airbags, they use a shrink wrap plastic to hold the items down to the bottom of the box. 

#24 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 24 April 2014 - 17:05

right now i'm having late night snack with her (i named her Rachel), then let's see if i get lucky... :blush:

... and install Windows Server 2012 R2 on her. :laugh:

Get a room, ok?

:p

#25 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 24 April 2014 - 17:31

I thought this was going to be one of warwagon's guessing games again, but then I noticed that he wasn't the OP. :laugh:

#26 OP Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

Posted 24 April 2014 - 23:23

I thought this was going to be one of warwagon's guessing games again, but then I noticed that he wasn't the OP. :laugh:

lol -1/10 warwagons to you Sir.

How much did you pay for it? I ended up getting a Gen8 for $349 and I'm going to upgrade the cpu later to the Xeon E3 when its affordable. Right it'll make for a perfect FreeNAS box as a backup to my ISCSI Promise Raid

total (vat, shipping and price) was 202€; quite cheap because the same server but diskless and with even less memory is on sale in my own country for almost double of what i paid for.

Anyways i think the Gen8 is overkill for must of the people and the price isn't quite attractive. Also i'm not gonna use RAID but disk pooling.

#27 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 25 April 2014 - 00:04

lol -1/10 warwagons to you Sir.

total (vat, shipping and price) was 202€; quite cheap because the same server but diskless and with even less memory is on sale in my own country for almost double of what i paid for.

Anyways i think the Gen8 is overkill for must of the people and the price isn't quite attractive. Also i'm not gonna use RAID but disk pooling.

I agree with you. I looked for a N54 and found one for 299 and 399. Comparatively the Gen8 looked better to me. I plan on setting the raid card to JBOD and using ZFS. I plan on running FreeNAS on it right away.