Are OEM's Giving AMD a bad name?

I have an acer w500 tablet an it has an AMD c-50 CPU.. It's not that bad.. For a x86 tablet anyway.but also has a ssd.. For an actual computer it would probably suck.

Err it's a c-50 so it's before E... So it must be slower right?

It's made for win7 but i bought it to test Windows 8 rc on. Looking back on it I was going to try Android x86 on it again last week but it's sooooooooo thick.. I looked at and thought Meh

I'm running a Llano upstairs, a Llano in my brothers laptop, and an A10-7850K in this box.  As long as you know what you're getting AMD is good, the C, Z, and E stuff can be skipped for sure.

AM1 stuff as a baseline and current A* stuff should be good.

And yes, at least with laptops the OEMs are definitely not helping.

Before I made this thread I had a gateway computer in my office it had a

E1-1500 CPU

8GB of ram

Windows 8.1

hardly any crapware

500GB 7200RPM drive.

Ran like complete dog ####.

I work at a small computer shop much like the one you own i believe.

our basic system comes with:

AMD A4-5300 3.2Ghz Dual Core

4GB DDR3 RAM

500GB Hard Drive

going any lowing with the CPU side normally leaves the customer unhappy

people forget how much they spend a lot quicker than how slow their computer is. i feel its best to try and get them spending a bit more and that way they are more likely to buy their next computer from you because they were happy with their last one.

Hello,

this is quite interesting, in another post a few weeks ago i mentioned a similar situation: my mother-in-law bought a new Asus notebook and asked me in install all the software she needs; the laptop was brand new but it was incredible unusual: it was so slow that it was unbearable to do anything at all. I immediately find that weird and started to troubleshoot: high CPU usage, high disk usage, memory wasn't filled to the max but something didn't add up. So after seeing the process that was leaving this brand new notebook in such a state that it was impossible to do anything at all (to put in perspective: the last time i saw such a slow machine it was my good ol' Pentium MMX @ 200 mhz), i figured it out that the the power options was capping the CPU; when i activated the Performance option the CPU high usage stopped, but still the notebook was slow. Then i saw the specs: 5400 RPM HDD, lots of memory - that's good i thought, but then again it was very slow memory - and some Asus software that was running in the background and was consuming CPU and lots of disk access. Also i saw a very big design fault: not a single exhaust vent was underneath the notebook, leaving it incredible hot after a few minutes, just a exhaust for the CPU but clearly it wasn't enough.

So i did a last thing: installed a clean Windows 8 version to compare: this time the notebook was more functional but still the same Asus software was the leaving the notebook more slow then it should be. I asked my mother in law to exchange that crap notebook for other one and pay the difference, it's was worthy because one can't have a problematic and slow tool for work, like that notebook was being.

Conclusion: I contacted Asus and told them because of their stupidity they lost a costumer: my mother in law because so dissatisfied with this incident that she didn't bought another Asus equipment. So they lost a costumer and gained negativity for their brand, bravo!

Now i'm not bashing Asus; it just the low end and cheap notebooks / laptops from ALL the OEMs are severely capped, bad QC and poorly designed, resulting in incidents like this one. And it's the OEM that suffers with this, so i don't get their stupidity: it's better to receive the clients money and give him a poor experience? Contrastingly, the high end Asus stuff is great: I'm posting on a Asus Vivobook, all aluminum and incredible fast and stable, but it wasn't cheap.

going any lowing with the CPU side normally leaves the customer unhappy

people forget how much they spend a lot quicker than how slow their computer is. i feel its best to try and get them spending a bit more and that way they are more likely to buy their next computer from you because they were happy with their last one.

It's a simple rule of business but i found incredible that many OEMs are so greedy and have such a poor vision that forget the experience the end user is going to get: a poor, enervating and problematic one.

What about the hardware? This could easily be a failing drive that can make a system super slow. I have never had a bad experience with AMD. Not saying I am a fan boy but generally its something else. If the processors defective that could be an issue too.

I don't think so, because theres an incredible amount of complaining users; sure not all the HDD are dieing...

it's just poor hardware choces from the OEM: getting a low end CPU tied with crap HDD, RAM and more and the result is crap.

Budget machines cut corners through more parts than the CPU. Expect a slower hard drive, slower RAM, a worse chassis, worse display, crappy battery, slow charger, and more bloatware. These things are everything you'd expect from a netbook, cleverly disguised as a normal laptop. The entire package is designed to be as cheap as possible, resulting in poor performance.

AMD is more competitive/cost-effective in the lower end of performance, and so OEMs typically source hardware configs around these budget processors, resulting in everything being tarred and feathered with the same brush.

• Like 3

Personally I always figured if people don't know what they're buying before they get it, they should probably not get it.

that's what retail clerks exist for! problem is: most of them know jack and sell the biggest POS to count as a sale. :/

I haven't really seen or used any AMD chips in while.  I have a 5400+ BE for several years, but they just can't compete with Intel anymore.  In most cases at least.  Unless you need better integrated graphics, then I'd go AMD.  The new 3740 Atoms run GREAT. 

Computers get lower-powered and are technically faster per clock, but they end up being not much faster to the user.  Plus, SSDs just aren't in mainstream laptops, so there just isn't decent performance.  Not to mention all the crap software, malware, greayware, or whatever else is installed.

Computers get lower-powered and are technically faster per clock, but they end up being not much faster to the user.  Plus, SSDs just aren't in mainstream laptops, so there just isn't decent performance.  Not to mention all the crap software, malware, greayware, or whatever else is installed.

An SSD really does give a speed boost. I once reinstalled Windows on a Laptop onto a spare SSD while I was waiting for her new hard drive to arrive from HP. She had to leave for the weekend so I let her take the laptop with the SSD. When she came back, she said, I don't want the HP replacement, Order me one of these solid state drives LOL

AMD's E1 processors really are not meant to be used for anything more than very basic use, same target audience as Atom processors (and they're pretty pants as well)

For all of you complaining about slow OEM computers with bloatware - have you never heard of PC Decrapifier ?

People have been saying these OEM's with the AMD E CPU's are slow as crap even on a clean install.

• Like 3

Oh OK Im sorry, I read the complaints about the bloat & thought - PC Decrap solves that nicely

Only AMD I have messed with in last 10 years was a gaming build with the 8350 a few months ago - so not really relevant to this thread

I personally prefer intel and there is no specific reason to it. I have a laptop with AMD cpu and I don not have any issue with it. I recently purchased a $400 ASUS laptop with pentium 2117U processor and it works fine. I think some of the bottlenecks specially in laptops are coming from 5400 RPM hard drive. No matter how fast your CPU is, if you have slow hard drive then it's going to pull whole system down. It is misconception among the people that if their system is slow, it is because of their CPU. I replaced my laptop with a SSD and now system runs like a horse. Not bad performance for under $400 laptop. 

I remember when I purchased my first laptop in year 2004. It was HP with intel pentium 4 processor on it and it cost me around $1800. Then two year later my friend purchased a Toshiba laptop for $1,200 which I though was excellent deal and now I even think $500 laptop is expensive. I guess, I am getting too spoiled by price of laptop coming down. 

• 1 month later...

Moments ago I was remotely connected to a PC cleaning it up. I'm like.. MAN this computer is running like ball sack (even after I cleaned it up). Checked the CPU ... E2-1800

Between GotoAssist, Avast and CCleaner we are using around 89% CPU

CCleaner is using 14 - 20%

post-4927-0-28374800-1401291215.jpg

Moments ago I was remotely connected to a PC cleaning it up. I'm like.. MAN this computer is running like ball sack (even after I cleaned it up). Checked the CPU ... E2-1800

That image isn't really relevant considering.  An E2 would be comparable pricewise to older Atoms, not an i3.

That image isn't really relevant considering.  An E2 would be comparable pricewise to older Atoms, not an i3.

post-4927-0-44193500-1401291781.jpg