microsoft window 8

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 23:11

I don't see Windows existing in 5-10 years. It's just obsolete these days.

#17 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

• 1,640 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 23:34

Thats just so laughable I would say windows going to around a long time.  In fact it will probable grow once windows 9 comes out.  Tablets disposble things. Not many people use them for serious work. In fact look at apples ipad sales they look to be going down. 

#18 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 23:46

Thats just so laughable I would say windows going to around a long time.  In fact it will probable grow once windows 9 comes out.  Tablets disposble things. Not many people use them for serious work. In fact look at apples ipad sales they look to be going down. 

Do people use smartphones for serious work? And how many of those are sold each year? The point being, serious work only makes up a tiny proportion of computing devices. Most of them are for content consumption and entertainment.

And even if that were the case, there's nothing stopping someone from docking their tablet or phone into a large screen and keyboard. They'll always be a place for high-end devices, but it will become more niche over time. Linux and OS X can easily fill that requirement anyway.

#19 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,052 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 23:52

The only thing terrible is how poor a job Microsoft has done in educating users how to use Windows 8. When trained and shown how to customize the Start Screen, users see and enjoy the benefits and the time-savings. It's mainly when people attempt to apply their old methods of using a computer without objective (and dare I say, positive) guidance that you have negative feedback.Instead of the "Hi" and "You can get new apps from the store" messages, a program should start that guides users in customizing their Start Screen with the programs, apps, people, websites, and content that matters to them. When people without a pre-conceived bias are shown how to do this, they generally like Windows 8.-Forjo

So, users need to be guided on how to turn Windows 8, back into 7 .... :p

#20 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,226 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

The point being, serious work only makes up a tiny proportion of computing devices. Most of them are for content consumption and entertainment. *snip *They'll always be a place for high-end devices, but it will become more niche over time. Linux and OS X can easily fill that requirement anyway.

Chuckling as I read this from my Windows tablet. Considering millions of people are using it for 'serious' work, millions of people are paying money hand over fist for gaming consoles instead of buying Flappy Bird, companies are even paying through the nose to make sure their XP systems which should have been dead and buried a few years back are still workable.. And wait.. you're saying Windows is going to be replaced because it's an outdated desktop paradigm... and it'll be replaced by Linux and OSX. Two other desktop OS's? Brilliant.

So, users need to be guided on how to turn Windows 8, back into 7 .... :p

Mm they did do a rather bad job with the transition with 8.0. "Hi!", which was essentially getting shoved into the deep end of the pool. Well, at least 8.2? 8.1 Update 2? Whatever it'll be called looks to get it back to something everybody's familiar with and then have the option to go the full Modern route if thats your thing.

#21 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

• 3,883 posts

Redirected to wrong thread :/ Ignore this

#22 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,006 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:10

I think Build 2014 paved a bright future for Microsoft.

#23 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,853 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:19

Windows as we know it today won't exist in 5-10 years, except for the people who refuse to stay current. There will still be a Microsoft computing platform though.

#24 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

• 1,640 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:28

Windows as we know it today won't exist in 5-10 years, except for the people who refuse to stay current. There will still be a Microsoft computing platform though.

You can say that for everything Android and IOS will look very different then way they are now.

#25 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,853 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:34

You can say that for everything Android and IOS will look very different then way they are now.

I'm not just talking about how it looks, I am talking about how Windows will be embedded inside everything from shoes to shower curtains.

#26 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 2,910 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:41

Windows as we know it today won't exist in 5-10 years, except for the people who refuse to stay current.

Where is it written that one has to "stay current"? With anything. Do you buy a new car every year? New appliances? I doubt it.

I tell ya, I don't know if it's a generational thing or what, but this notion of always needing the latest version of a software program is assinine. Newer doesn't always mean better.

But like anything else, to each her/his own.

#27 mastercoms

mastercoms

Stop the genocide. Start the peace. Gaza 2014.

• 952 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928 + WP8.1

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:52

It's mainly when people attempt to apply their old methods of using a computer without objective (and dare I say, positive) guidance that you have negative feedback.

^This. People expect something to else to happen because it's Windows, and since it's Windows, it has to have a 1995 interface or else everything goes haywire. Change the name to iOS, Android, or Ubuntu, and everything's fine again.

#28 Myrdhinn

Myrdhinn

Neowinian

• 78 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:16

People have been crying the death of MS on every OS release. Apple can only dream of having the desktop market share of Windows. Linux, it's been claimed to take over the desktop market for years but it's still a small minority. Android, lol, a nice toy but that is it, good for smartphones, tablets as a cheap way to browse, email, uncomplicated documents but it'll be years and years before it has apps like photoshop, premiere, vegas, aperture, final cut, etc (actually maybe never). It's still going to be MS and Apple as top dogs for quite some time, probably out last my lifetime. lol

#29 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,860 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:26

Yeah? Why not post an entire article instead of the very first clickbait heading that uses stupid words like "slide" ?

He kept the original title of the article and followed the rules.  And I got an email from a MOD saying to stop posting full articles and only post a little and link back to the original or next time I will be warned.  Even though I have been doing this since I signed up on Neowin.  I guess that is violating the rules....ah well.

Anyway, this is to be expected.  No need to upgrade as often as you used to.   Things are slowing down.

#30 Auditor

Auditor

Neowinian

• 1,077 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:26

Windows days will be numbered when other software makers start publishing their software for either Linux or OSX platform as well. The sole reason many people are stuck with windows are because most of the programs are windows exclusive. But that might change in a while as many people are adopting Android and OSX in masses and sooner or later it publishers will find a huge market for their softwares beside windows. MS has to be blamed for providing such a shoddy job with windows 8 and they better change their course sooner otherwise MS will be another IBM or Xerox. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!