microsoft window 8

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

• 4,737 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 19:17

My original post was talking about marketshare.

I don't focus on sales numbers for a number of reasons.
1. Microsoft rarely provides any. Or if it does, it's usually some statistical trick like "fasting growing OS", or "licences sold".
2. Some markets are growing (phones, tablets) and some are shrinking (PC's). The best way to determine mindshare as DotMatrix likes to put it, is to look at the overall OS marketshare.

The desktop is just small part of the personal computing market these days, and one that's shrinking in both numbers and relevance I might add. Things are evolving, and Windows is no longer centre stage any more. That's why I don't focus on the desktop any more.

It also means that PC's aren't driving consumer trends or OEM profits. Who buys a new desktop computer more than once a decade any more? Enthusiasts perhaps, but they are savvy enough to eschew Windows and go GNU/Linux. For the rest, old desktops, new tablets and phones are good enough.

Great analysis. I completely agree.

#62 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,928 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 26 April 2014 - 19:35

My original post was talking about marketshare.

Yes I know.. and mixing in different types of devices to get different results. See previous post.

I don't focus on sales numbers for a number of reasons.

Then just use market share. You can completely ignore the X1 if it'll make you feel better. Throw the PS4's numbers into the mix and calculate the market share with that. They browse the web and can be considered media consumption devices too. It's still skewing the numbers to fit a "fact."

That's why I don't focus on the desktop any more.

That's kind of funny from someone who pushes an alternative desktop OS every chance they get. ;)

Who buys a new desktop computer more than once a decade any more?

And you just hit it on the head and sidestepped away from the answer. Tablets/phones get bought fast because they're cheap and must be quickly replaced due to short support cycles and fast obsolescence. You can't upgrade them.. practically disposable. Desktops typically last for a long time, and "enthusiasts" tend to upgrade their own hardware without replacing the whole thing anyway. Yes, tablets and phones are a quickly growing segment.. it does not mean that desktop systems are disappearing.

Enthusiasts perhaps, but they are savvy enough to eschew Windows and go GNU/Linux.

Wait.. so only stupid/technically inept people use Windows now? Just to toss something out there before the term "fanboy" or whatever gets used. I've been using Unix long before there was even a Linux. Still do to this day. And yet I still prefer Windows as my desktop OS just because it runs everything hassle free reliably. BSD is my primary server OS with a couple of Linux boxes too. I'm quite comfortable enough to just say "Linux" without freaking every time somebody doesn't add GNU to the name, God forbid. I know some of you like to read from the Book of Stallman every night.. but not every *Nix user is a FOSS zealot who has to preach about choices and then jump on people when they choose something you don't like. I know you get off bashing Microsoft (even being a hypocrite to support similar businesses like Apple and Oracle of all things when it suits your argument), but now that's just condescending lol.