PS4 Firmware 1.76

Bust for you maybe...? What they have included in this firmware is anything but a bust for me and I'd guess millions of others.

Yes there is still work to be done, and I'm quite sure they are working on that as we speak - this isn't the last update and Sony will continue to add features as and when they become available.

I do wonder what people actually expect from big companies... if they had other features ready to roll out, do you think they'd hold them back? No! They'd be released. The things we are asking for, like notifications and a music player, and DLNA support, etc, are coming - we know they are, it's just not as easy as us armchair software developers like to imagine it is.

What features that they showed back at E3 are you desperately in need of? I honestly can't remember what they showed! I'm old.

Stuff like suspend mode, Controller share over internet, trialling ANY game, etc.  Suspend mode in particular was the one big feature they harped on about massively when they announced it, quietly dropped it for launch and then haven't mentioned it since.

Maybe i'm just old fashioned but it seems like they should not be rushing around getting other stuff ready until they can at least get the base features out the door first?  I know it doesn't quite work like that with different teams working on different things etc but it seems like they just announced things without even knowing if it was even possible.

For example they said at the time that in Standby mode it would be using ultra-low power because all standby tasks would be handled by the ARM processor without knowing if they could do it, because that's not the case at all they still have to invoke the x86 cpu because the arm processor isn't up to the task thus not being as power efficient as they made it out to be.

Bwg2Esh.jpg

kSDmPhP.jpg

Stealth updates list:

-Notifications: New notification type: From PlayStation.
-System: Multi user login with a single DS4.
-System: No more log in screen when reconnecting the DS4
-System: When a game crashes you can now chose to attach a video clip in the feedback
-Settings: Option to enable sending in the crash reports automatically.
-Settings - Audio: You can now force the PS4 to output 5.1 channel audio over HDMI even if it detects 7.1 channel support.
-Settings - Video: Deep Colour Output.
-Share: Upload multiple screenshots to Facebook at the same time.
-Streaming: Comments/viewers notifications when you are in a full screen streaming.
-Streaming: You can still upload screenshots/video while broadcasting.
-Streaming: You can view comments without having to switch streaming modes

@Delta they obviously know we want everything that's in the ps3 and more, Shu recently addressed that saying it's due to the PS4 architecture changing.

The game trials are powered by Gaikai so it's most likely that feature won't be available until PS Now is released.

Fair enough, I thought they meant they were doing to have demos of every game. I didn't think they were doing PS4 over Gaikai as they had developed their own PS3-based servers for it.

They had also mentioned about 1-1 streaming where you could just ask to watch a friends game which is absent as well.

To be honest that initial announcement seemed more of an initial brainstorm more than anything given the amount of things missing.

Fair enough, I thought they meant they were doing to have demos of every game. I didn't think they were doing PS4 over Gaikai as they had developed their own PS3-based servers for it.

They had also mentioned about 1-1 streaming where you could just ask to watch a friends game which is absent as well.

To be honest that initial announcement seemed more of an initial brainstorm more than anything given the amount of things missing.

If you go back and watch the reveal, the features you want were presented by Dave Perry (Gaikai CEO). I think a lot of them will revolve around the tech they brought to PSN, but he also mentions that the features will be rolled out in phases. So even if they're not part of PS Now, they'll probably announce the next stage soon after. E3 & PS Now launch are roughly at the same time, so shouldn't be a long wait, hopefully. If not, I guess the next event would be Gamescom were Sony usually have a big presence.

E3 & PS Now launch are roughly at the same time, so shouldn't be a long wait, hopefully.

Well said but this year's launch is set for US only, unfortunately... :/

They will probably do the remote controller play and game trials last, as they're probably the most "expensive" features to implement.

The dim light setting for the DS4 is much better (Y)

Also noticed that the OS/store seems a little quicker, especially the store loading.

The dim light setting for the DS4 is much better (Y)

Also noticed that the OS/store seems a little quicker, especially the store loading.

That's good news, I wonder how the light dimming will affect the battery. At full brightness the battery life is dreadful.

Nice to see them optimizing the store as well, I was surprised to see it so laggy given the specs of the machine.

That's good news, I wonder how the light dimming will affect the battery. At full brightness the battery life is dreadful.

They added a global (not per game) option to turn off controller vibration (same as PS3) - that will prevent the biggest waste of battery life. :)

call me an old man if youd like, but i dont care about 'sharing' features. this "massive" update is pretty minor, imo. the only change i care about is being able to dim the light bar.

the pre-download option is a welcomed feature, though (Y)

Downloaded the update. Glad share factory was its own app / download. A GB is a legit size for what its suppose to be able to do so I was happy to see that.

I read the PlayStation blog post last night and was surprised by the lightbar option and happy at the same time.

I hope next update they give us the ability to modify the UI. I hate having 20+ icons horizontally of stuff I don't care about and don't want to scroll through. If I had the ability to hide them I would be happy. I don't use most of them anyway.

I hope next update they give us the ability to modify the UI. I hate having 20+ icons horizontally of stuff I don't care about and don't want to scroll through. If I had the ability to hide them I would be happy. I don't use most of them anyway.

Yes, they should add a limit of 8 recently played games - for everything else just go to the Library - lol

I wont be able to really look through the update for a few days since I'm out of town, but I'm glad to hear there are performance improvements. I have felt the store could be a tad slow at times. I also hope some of that means that apps in general work better.

If dimming the light results in more battery life, then sign me up :laugh:

The rest of the update is nice, but not much that I was looking for.

A hint towards mp3s/videos possibly coming sooner rather than later

dkd8nt32.jpg

While I very much want that to be true, that setting doesn't really hint to that. The ps4 already has apps that playback music and videos. The X1 has a similar setting for media playback.

Still, I think Sony is working on some kind of media player based on the leak, so let's see what they do with it.

Yes, they should add a limit of 8 recently played games - for everything else just go to the Library - lol

I'd rather have just a single game on the horizontal list and then go to the library if that's not what I want to play.

What that single game should be is:

1) If there is a disc in the drive then that game should be the one featured no matter how recently it was played.

2) If there is no disc in the drive then the last played downloaded game (non-disc) should be featured.

Those two options would meet my needs the vast majority of the time.

So the horizontal list should be like your wall or whatever they call it, then the featured game mentioned above, then the library next, then video, music, etc.

For example they said at the time that in Standby mode it would be using ultra-low power because all standby tasks would be handled by the ARM processor without knowing if they could do it, because that's not the case at all they still have to invoke the x86 cpu because the arm processor isn't up to the task thus not being as power efficient as they made it out to be.

Do you have a source for this part?  I'm not saying you're wrong or anything I've just not been able to find much in info on the ARM processor and how it is supposed to work (and in this case why it supposedly isn't doing what it was supposed to).

The only update on this list that i care about is preinstalling games.   I really like to order my digitial stuff early and have it ready ASAP then how xbox does it and i have to wait till midnight release day to purchase and spend half a day installing.

Im cursed with slow internet

Biggest thing for me is the performance of the entire system seems to have gotten a turbo boost. I noticed the update was only 190mb, which means either they've started delta updates or they have trimmed bloat out of it which has boosted the performance?

Pretty disappointed with the light bar dimming. Even on low it is pretty much the same brightness. :/

Do you have a source for this part?  I'm not saying you're wrong or anything I've just not been able to find much in info on the ARM processor and how it is supposed to work (and in this case why it supposedly isn't doing what it was supposed to).

Yeah take a look here, they couldn't get it working the way they said it would

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/15/ps4-consumes-70w-while-downloading-in-standby-because-it-uses-the-main-apu-and-not-just-the-arm-chip/

I'm happy to see them add an option to disable HDCP, but I hope they are working on an automatic feature for the long term. Having to go back and forth to toggle that if you want to watch videos is a tad annoying.

• Like 1

I'm happy to see them add an option to disable HDCP, but I hope they are working on an automatic feature for the long term. Having to go back and forth to toggle that if you want to watch videos is a tad annoying.

is there a reason it can't just be left disabled?

Someone on GAF put this list together

PlayStation 4 v1.70 full feature list

(OS) Applications:

• SHAREfactory video editor app has been added to the content area (see thread)
  • Additional option in the Share button menu to share songs while in the updated Music Unlimited app
  • Capture Gallery shortcut/app has been added to the content area. You can use it to view screenshots and video clips that you saved
  • USB export option for captured gameplay (USB 2.0&3.0, FAT32&exFAT formated devices, but some don't work either way)
  • While watching a Blu-ray or DVD, you can now switch back&forth to the PS4 OS without quitting the movie/disc playback (will still happen when you launch a game, but OS apps like the Internet Browser allow multitasking)
  • What's New feed posts have timestamps now
  • Delete All option in the Internet Browser history

PSN:

• Automatic pre-download for preordered games on PSN
  • Party chat can host up to 16 people now (instead of 8) EDIT: Or not. Apparently still only 7 more people can join even though it says 16 slots...
  • Ability to search Friends-of-Friends, view Mutual Friends on another user?s profile and accept Friend requests directly from the Friends list.
  • You can now share your real name and profile picture with the close friends of your close friends (= friends of your friends who have accepted the name request of your friends)
  • For Plus members, you?ll now have the PS Plus icon appear next to your SEN ID on the login screen, home screen and other areas
  • Use a custom profile picture (not PSN avatar) via the updated PlayStation App on Android/iOS (see thread for the App update as it also allows now push PSN notifications etc.)
  • [From PlayStation] has been added under Notification (for global PSN announcements etc.)
  • PayPal support (but... it's not there?! Use the web store I guess)

Settings:

• Option to disable HDCP for games (needs to be switched on if you want to use e.g. blu-ray and Netflix)
  • DualShock4 lightbar intensity can be change to Bright (default), Medium or Dim (ca. half as bright)
  • You can test&adjust your Microphone input volume (Device settings)
  • Audio Mixer for Party Chat: You can manually adjust priority of party versus system audio
  • When the PS4 crashes you can now choose to attach a video clip in the feedback
  • Option to enable sending in the crash reports automatically.
  • You can now e.g. force the PS4 to output 5.1 channel audio over HDMI even if it detects 7.1 channel support. (set primary audio output to HDMI or optical, then mark the desired audio formats)
  • Video setting for Deep Colour Output (automatic by default, switch off if your display reacts weird to it)
  • Default language options for BDs&DVDs, [blu-ray Disc Data Management], and [Allow Internet Connection] have been added under [Video Playback Settings].
  • [Noise Reduction] has been added as an option that is available during video playback (available in the extra video settings when you watch a BD/DVD, on by default)

Streaming/Share:

• HD option (=720p) added for streaming gameplay
  • Archive your broadcasts on Twitch or Ustream (via their accounts)
  • Upload video clips and screenshots during your live gameplay broadcasts
  • You can now submit a grief report about an inappropriate profile picture or broadcast.
  • Ability to live-stream and watch PS4 streams via NicoNico (requires Japanese PSN account)
  • Ability to view NicoNico broadcasts from within the updated Playstation App (requires Japanese PSN account)
  • Improved broadcasting layout. Comments/viewers notifications when you are in a full screen streaming (of view comments without having to switch streaming modes)
  • Change the default gameplay recording time in the SHARE menu under Video Clip Settings (1, 3, 5, 10, or 15 minutes)
  • Select specific Facebook audiences to share each video or screenshot with (was only a global setting before)
  • Select multiple screenshots/videos to export/upload

Remote Play:

• Ability to Remote Play PlayStation 4 from PS Vita TV (PS Vita TV update required)
  • Automatic&faster PS4 Link Update for Remote Play, no code entry necessary when using same PSN account (requires PlayStation Vita v3.15 Update)
  • You can now disable the overlays that appear when you use the touchscreen and back panel during Remote Play (on the Vita)
  • Apparently better Remote Play video quality
  • From Reddit, not sure if new: There's now a Connection History log option under Remote Play Connection Settings
  • From Reddit, not sure if new: L2 / L3 / R2 / R3 are now mapped to the corners of the Vita's touch screen during Remote Play on the homescreen

UI/Input:

• You can now sort Trophies by rarity in the Options menu
  • Popup notification when a friend joins a party chat (even when you are not in any party chat, can be disabled)
  • Switch user option, allows multi user login with a single DS4.
  • DS4 touchpad can be used to navigate the on-screen keyboard at any time
  • Slightly modified on-screen keyboard and a L2 + Triangle shortcut to switch to the extra characters list
  • The controller rumbles slightly when you switch to GYRO pointing input for the on-screen keyboard now.
  • More voice commands are added to launch the apps installed on your PS4 with the sound of your voice (Netflix, IGN app, Internet Browser, Sharefactory, Vidzone, BBC iplayer etc.)
  • New general voice commands added: "Save Video Clip" and "Start Video Clip"
  • Apparently overall OS improvements (faster loading of the Store/What's New etc.)
  • You can now set a screensaver (only dims the screen, after 15 minutes by default)
  • From Reddit, not sure if new: Your name appears on the battery notification popup

Changes/fixes:

• No more log in screen when reconnecting the DS4 (even when switching controllers after one has been turned off)
  • Opening the Share menu doesn't automatically save anything anymore. Upload or save videos/screenshots for each capture (apparently saving the last 15 minutes can still be bugged, but the way how seems to have changed due to this)
  • Pressing X on screenshots/videos will now open them in preview mode, viewing screenshots has been fixed and it doesn't crash/black screen anymore
  • While a game is running, the option menu in the OS has "Close Application" and "Delete" far apart now.
  • Scrolling quickly through long friend lists has been fixed
  • The black crush has been fixed when recording gameplay videos
  • [share Settings] > [Video Clip Settings] > [indicate Blocked Scenes for Video Recording] is now turned on by default.
  • [stop Broadcasting] is now under [broadcast Settings]
  • [Login Settings] and [initialization] > [Delete User] are now under the newly added [users].
  • Update History entry is now always at the top (except when selecting a disk-based game). Also has better formating
  • Not sure if new: Information option entry for a PSN game now shows Download Status

• Like 2