PS4 Firmware 1.76

Hopefully with all these under-the-hood fixes/changes the next update is more about front facing features.

Definitely made up for 1.61/2 at least

What kind of crappy ARM chip are they using that can't even handle a file download?

That's what I'd like to know.  My google fu doesn't seem to be able to pull up much info at all on the ARM chip.  People seem to think it does much more but that has to be when the system is ON.  When the system is in standby mode there isn't that much it even could be doing.  It must be pretty darn bad if it can't download a file.

The good news is that this chip isn't exposed to developers at all.  So if there is a problem with it they could actually fix it in future hardware revisions and that change would be completely transparent to developers.

Anyone know if they've started delta updates, trimmed the bloat or I was mistaken and the size wasn't 190odd MB?

Seemed to be around half the size of previous updates?

That's what I'd like to know.  My google fu doesn't seem to be able to pull up much info at all on the ARM chip.  People seem to think it does much more but that has to be when the system is ON.  When the system is in standby mode there isn't that much it even could be doing.  It must be pretty darn bad if it can't download a file.

The good news is that this chip isn't exposed to developers at all.  So if there is a problem with it they could actually fix it in future hardware revisions and that change would be completely transparent to developers.

Only relevant thing I could find was a mention by Digital Foundry that the arm chip was going to be used to freeze the game state in memory for suspend mode.  If that was indeed the case perhaps that could be one of the reasons that feature is suspiciously missing and hasn't been mentioned by Sony ever since the brief mentiont that it wasn't making launch.

Ok, i rescind my post from yesterday. That is quite massive. :o

Ditto I retract my calling it a bust, not a great deal in there relevant to me but that is a helluva changelog.

Excellent round of updates, kudos to Sony for doing a lot of work behind the scenes. I won't be home for a few more days to try it out myself, but it sounds comprehensive.

I am happy to wait for features as long as I see Sony making the effort to improve the system, and they are.

I'm especially glad to see they have improved the voice commands, but there is a lot there that I want to test out.

• Like 1

For me the best change is turning the touchpad into a keyboard/cursor! Works great, hahaha novel idea, it would never occur to me. That's why i'm not an engineer i suppose. Didn't even bother with the light settings, got so used to it that don't feel the need. Battery life is short, which is not ideal, but they did give us a USB cable and the controller recharges fully in less than an hour from what i can tell. So good update, though now a priority is somehow accelerating the hard drive...MLB 14 has load times that rival actually driving to a ball game.

though now a priority is somehow accelerating the hard drive...MLB 14 has load times that rival actually driving to a ball game.

There's nothing that they will be able to do with that... although it sounds like that game could do with some optimization Sucker Punch made a big deal of them having to spend so much time optimizing for slow read times that it is certainly an issue.

Luckily there are quite cheap SSHDs out there with 8gb flash fronting it, that it is a reasonably cheap upgrade with a noticible performance boost you could easily swap out for.

No point going ful SSD until the prices come down further.

• Like 1

Not related to the OS in particular but god I hope Sony wisen up and remove the minimum wallet spend on PSN in an update soon. Really bugs me when it comes to impulse buys.

• Like 1

Has anyone had any luck with setting a custom Avatar? I set one with the Playstation app, but I'm still a Traffic Cone to my friends.

• Like 1

Has anyone had any luck with setting a custom Avatar? I set one with the Playstation app, but I'm still a Traffic Cone to my friends.

You can only see custom avatars with people you've shared your real name with.

It's only supported on the PS4 and PS App. Your avatar is used on PS3/Vita.

There's nothing that they will be able to do with that... although it sounds like that game could do with some optimization Sucker Punch made a big deal of them having to spend so much time optimizing for slow read times that it is certainly an issue.

Luckily there are quite cheap SSHDs out there with 8gb flash fronting it, that it is a reasonably cheap upgrade with a noticible performance boost you could easily swap out for.

No point going ful SSD until the prices come down further.

Most likely there's really nothing they can do hardware-wise as that drive is rated for 5400rpm sadly...i don't know, something though would be nice! You guys know i'm quite pleased with the current generation so far, but both PS4 and X1 keep making me think of that Semisonic song, except the lyrics have changed to "loading times, time for you to sit around while your game takes forever to load, loading times..."

And true that, in the case of PS4 you can easily change to an SSH without voiding the warranty, but that's extra cost. Will just have to accept things as they are and hope developers figure out software-side ways of mitigating this.

but I'm still a Traffic Cone to my friends.

In the sense that they'll do everything they can to avoid you?

loooolz I kiiiiiiiiiiid.

Well I was delayed getting home, but I'm finally going to get a chance to dive in and look through all of the changes. I want to try out the new video editing app first.

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but you can now hide specific games (PS3 or PS4) trophies from showing up / able to be viewed by friends, etc.

• Like 2

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but you can now hide specific games (PS3 or PS4) trophies from showing up / able to be viewed by friends, etc.

Awesome, now AB can finally get that Barbie's Horse Adventure platinum he's always wanted :P

• Like 2

Awesome, now AB can finally get that Barbie's Horse Adventure platinum he's always wanted :p

Hannah Montanna, get it right :P

• Like 3

Does anyone here share their real info on their console?

I've seen loads of personal info from members here on their XBL, PSN and Steam accounts, way beyond what any of them ask for.

Home towns, real names, where they work/job title, a mini breakdown of their gaming history, twitter profiles. Could go on :laugh:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

1.71 is out

@PlayStation 9:00 PM
PS4 system software update 1.71 coming soon, will improve software stability of some features. Reminder: Activate your automatic download

So far vibration and cloud save bugs fixed.

The cloud save bug is a big one to me, glad that got that one fixed.

Has it been fixed? Was still getting the cannot save notices for Wolfenstein and Transistor after restarting post-update.