Microsoft's Xbox One Sold Just 1.2M Units To Retailers In Q3, Dips Below Xbox 360 Rate

I'm not sure why you insist on arguing on behalf of Forbes. Its not like any of us know the intentions of the author. Behind the numbers themselves, the rest of the article can be interpreted differently by different people.

The numbers are there for anyone to see and can verify themselves. The discussion part would come from talking about why the numbers are they way they are or what it means for the product.

Even if the author did have a negative slant on the issue, you can still pick out the numbers and use those after they are confirmed correct.

I thought you were more clever than that, why else would I argue on behalf of Forbes unless someone else was arguing against them? I didn't bring up the issue of Forbes accuracy or credibility, others did.

I dislike this "no big deal" mindset. Just because they're outselling the 360 doesn't mean they're keeping pressure on Sony. Who cares by how much they outsold the 360 if Sony ends up doubling the Xbox One figures?

I want Microsoft to prosper, for the sake of competition. Getting upset about wording of an article or pretending like all of this isn't a big deal is troubling to me. The ugly part of it is the mentality that Microsoft isn't worried either. I may not know the leads over at Microsoft first hand, but I HIGHLY doubt they are opting to just be complacent with where they are at, content at beating their previous records alone...

• Like 3

And there was MS with its infinite wisdom plan to have always on DRM. They did the course correction but I guess it was too late. Just imagine what the sales would have been if they had kept going on their moronic decision with always on DRM.  It is good to have strong competition for the consumer. MS is still riding its desktop Monopoly, no Apple does not count, but that might change in future. MS is not as invincible as it thought it would be and has to take more consumer centric approach rather than trying to find ways to always look out to screw their consumer. 

I dislike this "no big deal" mindset. Just because they're outselling the 360 doesn't mean they're keeping pressure on Sony. Who cares by how much they outsold the 360 if Sony ends up doubling the Xbox One figures?

I want Microsoft to prosper, for the sake of competition. Getting upset about wording of an article or pretending like all of this isn't a big deal is troubling to me. The ugly part of it is the mentality that Microsoft isn't worried either. I may not know the leads over at Microsoft first hand, but I HIGHLY doubt they are opting to just be complacent with where they are at, content at beating their previous records alone...

It's not about being complacent. It's about not singing the death knell of Xbox over these figures. You can be concerned if you want, just don't blow it out of proportion as people seem to like to do.

It's not about being complacent. It's about not singing the death knell of Xbox over these figures. You can be concerned if you want, just don't blow it out of proportion as people seem to like to do.

People do it for Nintendo and Sony like I mentioned above, why would Xbox be any different? Nothing is certain in this market and they all have the means to turn around their respective situations.

Beginning to think we should just ban all sales talk around here, it's clearly outwith reason for many.

The PS3 launch years are almost an exact mirror copy of the X1's public image and momentum also.

Really? I don't think I agree with that.

As far as a similar momentum, do you mean they were both underwhelming sales wise or that they both were slow to get really going?

Public image wise, I think they are pretty close, except that I think the ps3 had more going for it even at its lowest point early on. I think price was probably the only major issue. It did lack library wise for a while, but then that was in comparison to a console that had been out for a year. Compare it to a console launching at the same time, it wasn't so bad.

I thought you were more clever than that, why else would I argue on behalf of Forbes unless someone else was arguing against them? I didn't bring up the issue of Forbes accuracy or credibility, others did.

My point is that who cares if someone argues against Forbes. You don't need to defend them. Let them argue against the tone of the article, that in no way devalues the numbers themselves.

The numbers matter, the rest of the article or the motivations behind it do not.

Anyone that is sensible and reasonable will look past whatever spin or bs an article contains and focus on the facts that are confirmed. That is where a discussion can start.

So you want MS to prosper for the sake of competition, not for the sake of you as a user?

I agree that we should not ignore problems by saying its 'no big deal', but I also think you have to acknowledge the fact that we do not know what MS knows about their plans or goals. I do think MS is vigilant in watching the competition and trying to react to the market. My only point was that Sony and MS don't live and breath based on articles posted on the web.

There obviously is a middle ground here. Some people say its all over, some people say there are issues but its not terrible, some people say there are no problems. It is possible to acknowledge issues without also saying its all over.

At this point, I fall into the middle group. There are issues, but the X1 is still doing well despite issues, so that means they could turn things around.

And there was MS with its infinite wisdom plan to have always on DRM. They did the course correction but I guess it was too late. Just imagine what the sales would have been if they had kept going on their moronic decision with always on DRM.  It is good to have strong competition for the consumer. MS is still riding its desktop Monopoly, no Apple does not count, but that might change in future. MS is not as invincible as it thought it would be and has to take more consumer centric approach rather than trying to find ways to always look out to screw their consumer.

It could have been a lot worse, your right. But maybe your also right and its too late. I don't know. MS could do everything consumers want and it still might be too late. Will have to wait and see.

People do it for Nintendo and Sony like I mentioned above, why would Xbox be any different? Nothing is certain in this market and they all have the means to turn around their respective situations.

Beginning to think we should just ban all sales talk around here, it's clearly outwith reason for many.

Why is it ok for any brand? Overreaction is overreaction, regardless of the platform. When it happens for any brand, there will be people that respond and try to correct the point. That does not seem unreasonable. If someone overreacts in a WiiU sales thread and people try to correct that, that seems like a normal thing to do.

If you ban the talk, then you are pretty much saying that you are not allowed to debate reactions to sales. That's cool if that is goal.

Really? I don't think I agree with that.

As far as a similar momentum, do you mean they were both underwhelming sales wise or that they both were slow to get really going?

Public image wise, I think they are pretty close, except that I think the ps3 had more going for it even at its lowest point early on. I think price was probably the only major issue. It did lack library wise for a while, but then that was in comparison to a console that had been out for a year. Compare it to a console launching at the same time, it wasn't so bad.

Just my perception of it. The PS3 was ridiculed by many from E3 2005 onwards (specs, price, CGI trailers, PR nonsense and more). It wasn't until real world results surfaced, e.g Uncharted 2, MGS4 et al that things began to change. Even then it wasn't smooth sailing as they had an increase in YLOD reports and eventually the PSN hack and PS3 jailbreak.

Just my perception of it. The PS3 was ridiculed by many from E3 2005 onwards (specs, price, CGI trailers, PR nonsense and more). It wasn't until real world results surfaced, e.g Uncharted 2, MGS4 et al that things began to change. Even then it wasn't smooth sailing as they had an increase in YLOD reports and eventually the PSN hack and PS3 jailbreak.

That is true. There was a lot of running pr lines that held the console back early on.

Sony proved that even if the pr is not in your favor, if you keep pushing forward, correct mistakes as best you can, and put out tangible results (i.e. good games), you can turn around a bad start.

Certainly a good lesson to learn. Although I'm sure we would all prefer that they never make the mistake in the first place :laugh:

So you want MS to prosper for the sake of competition, not for the sake of you as a user?

I agree that we should not ignore problems by saying its 'no big deal', but I also think you have to acknowledge the fact that we do not know what MS knows about their plans or goals. I do think MS is vigilant in watching the competition and trying to react to the market. My only point was that Sony and MS don't live and breath based on articles posted on the web.

There obviously is a middle ground here. Some people say its all over, some people say there are issues but its not terrible, some people say there are no problems. It is possible to acknowledge issues without also saying its all over.

At this point, I fall into the middle group. There are issues, but the X1 is still doing well despite issues, so that means they could turn things around.

Both really. I feel that even if you aren't an Xbox fan, there is no reason Sony fans should want to see Microsoft fail either. It's the heat of the competition that allows Sony to not be complacent either.

Competition is a great thing for consumers/gamers. It's not about doom and gloom rhetoric, but rather discussing the issues. Some people here (not you, trooper) are getting tripped up over wording, but then go on to say it's not a big deal, or that some people are being silly because Microsoft "isn't concerned" (as if they have some crystal ball telling them this).

I just call total BS on that.

Microsoft for instance dominates the industry with Windows, but they aren't just sitting on their butts. If you're at the top, maybe you have some room to breathe but you still fight. When you're the underdog though, you do whatever is in your power (legally) to close the gap and then some. I don't believe for one second Microsoft is happy with their position. That doesn't mean they can't be optimistic in their fight. I think Phil Spencer will do great things for Microsoft, but we'll have to let his actions speak louder than his words alone.

TL;DR: I find this all fascinating personally. It's just a shame some don't want to talk about it.

• Like 3

Microsoft for instance dominates the industry with Windows, but they aren't just sitting on their butts. If you're at the top, maybe you have some room to breathe but you still fight. When you're the underdog though, you do whatever is in your power (legally) to close the gap and then some. I don't believe for one second Microsoft is happy with their position. That doesn't mean they can't be optimistic in their fight. I think Phil Spencer will do great things for Microsoft, but we'll have to let his actions speak louder than his words alone.

TL;DR: I find this all fascinating personally. It's just a shame some don't want to talk about it.

Well said. MS certainly won't be happy with poor results. If we know anything about what MS has been doing recently it is that they are not happy with how things have gone across their entire business and have made small and drastic changes to the company to combat that. They have shown a willingness to change and be more aggressive.

These discussions are at their best when we don't have the doom and gloom or the rosy outlook kind of posts.

See, posts like this are why allowing people to discuss this stuff is a good thing. Yes, bs will occur, but as long as sane people are there as well, it can work itself out.

I think sales are not "stellar" because of:

• No compelling next-gen games yet
  • PCs are really powerful now and many prefer that platform for "next-gen" stuff
  • No cross-platform play (Xbox - PC)
  • No next-gen Gears
  • No next-gen Halo
  • Cost
  • Kinect?
  • Killer Instinct was unfinished, not released for PC, and just didn't realize it's potential. (Marketing?)

Microsoft should make Xbox for Windows work and release cross-platform next-gen titles IMO. I think MS should not count PC as a separate platform and leverage that part of the ecosystem. It's something Sony couldn't match.

Also, create nano receiver and get XBOne Controller on PC.

We can coexist if we try, I'm sure... Also, we're deviating from the topic to talk about feelings; if we want to talk about getting off the subject of games completely, this is it.

So what do you think is the reason why sales are as they are and what do you think MS should do about it?

Now sorta ONTOPIC Why the lower sales than ps4. I really think its a lot to do with the negativity stuff going around.  Also i feel like xo is missing another million sales collectively from all the other countries it has not released in.   

Even sony is not doing good in japan but its because of GAMES.

Forbes has no advertisements on its site, so Forbes can't make money creating click-bait. Forbes is a big magazine firm which reports on business news and financial information.

I'm actually surprised you haven't heard of them and considered them a click-bait type company.

Doesn't Forbes also host "blogs" from random "contributors" that's completely unrelated to the magazine?

Oh...yes they do.

Paul Tassi, Contributor

Doesn't Forbes also host "blogs" from random "contributors" that's completely unrelated to the magazine?

Oh...yes they do.

They don't as far as I'm aware, google search on the subject also suggest your statement is false.

Paul Tassi is a journalist not a blogger, According to his Forbes contributor profile he has also done work with IGN, The Daily Dot, The Colbert Report (TV Show) and various others including Forbes.

Microsoft attempts to hide anemic Xbox One sales amid lackluster quarterly earnings

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/181337-microsoft-attempts-to-hide-anemic-xbox-one-sales-amid-lackluster-quarterly-earnings

Microsoft reports that it ?sold in? two million Xbox consoles this quarter, including 1.2 million Xbox One consoles. That?s surprisingly strong performance? from the Xbox 360. The strong sales may be partly due to Microsoft?s pledge to continue supporting the Xbox 360 for years to come and there?s historical precedent ? Sony only killed off the PS2 in Japan last year and sold more than five million systems globally as recently as 2010. Microsoft may have a similar long good-bye in mind for the Xbox 360. 

As for the Xbox One, shifting 1.2 million consoles this quarter and five million to-date is reasonably good, but there?s a lot of questions about what ?sold in? means versus ?sold through.? The term ?sell in? is used when a manufacturer sells parts into the channel. ?Sell through? is used when a company sells products directly to the end customer.

When Microsoft sells an Xbox console to GameStop, Best Buy, or Wal-Mart, in other words, it classifies that as sell in. When it sells you a Surface tablet directly from its own website, that?s sell through. This has led to charges that Microsoft is only recognizing the impact of consoles it has ?shipped,? with accompanying squabbles over what the real figures are. Sony, in contrast, has specifically reported a sell through of seven million PS4s as of April 

Attempts to hide?  What?  Here we go again with yet another spin and sensationalist headline.  When did they hide anything?   If you don't know how to read what they said then you have a problem. 

• Like 3

Attempts to hide?  What?  Here we go again with yet another spin and sensationalist headline.  When did they hide anything?   If you don't know how to read what they said then you have a problem. 

I believe it refers to sold-through sales, because they only released sold-in (to retailers) rather than sold-through (to customers) like Sony.

I believe it refers to sold-through sales, because they only released sold-in (to retailers) rather than sold-through (to customers) like Sony.

That's true but the source of that article is Microsoft's quarterly earnings, where they will have to report how much they shipped because that's when they can register the revenue.

Don't get your hopes high until they write down or write off the Xbox division.

That's true but the source of that article is Microsoft's quarterly earnings, where they will have to report how much they shipped because that's when they can register the revenue.

Don't get your hopes high until they write down or write off the Xbox division.

What do you mean by write down the xbox division?