Photo

Firm 3D prints 10 full-sized houses in a day

china hi-tech industrial park automated sprays cement quick-drying waste secrets

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,559 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 20:53

SHANGHAI, April 25, (Xinhua) -- A private company in east China recently used a giant printer set to print out ten full-sized houses within just one day.

The stand-alone one-story houses in the Shanghai Hi-Tech Industrial Park look just like ordinary buildings. They were created using an intelligent printing array in east China's city of Suzhou.

The array consists of four printers that are 10 meters wide and 6.6 meters high and use multi-directional automated sprays. The sprays emit a combination of cement and construction waste that is used to print building walls layer-by-layer.

Ma Yihe, the inventor of the printers, said he and his team are especially proud of their core technology of quick-drying cement.

This technology allows for the printed material to dry rapidly. Ma has been cautious not to reveal the secrets of this technology.

Ma, who has been designing 3D printers for 12 years, said the new technology is cost-effective and environmentally friendly.

"To obtain natural stone, we have to employ miners, dig up blocks of stone and saw them into pieces. This badly damages the environment," Ma said.

"But with the 3D printing, we recycle mine tailings into usable materials. And we can print building with any digital design our customers bring us. It's fast and cheap," he said.

Buildings made with 3D printing technology can spare construction workers from having to work in hazardous, dusty environments, he said.

The printers can print multi-story houses, but Chinese building codes do not currently include standards for 3D-printed houses.

Quality checks are currently conducted by examining each piece of the structure as it is printed out.

Ma said he hopes his printers can be used to build skyscrapers in the future.

source

#2 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,591 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 20:56

Probably 4 flat walls, and 4 angled pieces for the roof.

Yep, in the video that's pretty much what it is - http://xhne.ws/wbGsZ

And honestly, I wouldn't consider this even printing, it's manufacturing and in my opinion pushing the definition of "printing"

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,559 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:01

And we can print building with any digital design our customers bring us.

#4 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• 7,605 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:11

And honestly, I wouldn't consider this even printing, it's manufacturing and in my opinion pushing the definition of "printing"

Lacking some vision there, xendrome. As Hum quoted, practically any design could be printed.

And 3D printing is manufacturing.... democratised.

Dunno, you just seem to be coming across a bit negative, and not seeing the awesome potential of this. I mean, those basic builds apparently only cost $5k. This #### can and will change the world.

#5 +PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

• 1,332 posts
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 1020

Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:12

at+the+bottom+_2ef3ee90975f1f5a847110d7b

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,247 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:20

Lacking some vision there, xendrome. As Hum quoted, practically any design could be printed.

And 3D printing is manufacturing.... democratised.

Dunno, you just seem to be coming across a bit negative, and not seeing the awesome potential of this. I mean, those basic builds apparently only cost $5k. This #### can and will change the world.

Call me when their houses are printed with proper walls that can be wired from the inside and with insulation and structural enough to stand up to modern Norwegian building certifications. 

#7 +FiB3R

FiB3R

• 7,605 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:23

Call me when their houses are printed with proper walls that can be wired from the inside and with insulation and structural enough to stand up to modern Norwegian building certifications. 

Will do.

#8 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,617 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:24

I don't think the point is to compete with first-world standards.

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,247 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:29

I don't think the point is to compete with first-world standards.

oh so developing countries don't need houses that are isolated from cold or head, or that will survive earthquakes, severe storms or other natural disasters then...

#10 +FiB3R

FiB3R

• 7,605 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:35

They look like they could be insulated pretty easily, heck, they could add extra insulation during manufacture, like stuffing teddy bears. Support could be added if need be. Holes can be left out for wiring/plumbing. Interior/exterior can be lined/clad with whatever.

How are some people not seeing how easy this is?

#11 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,068 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 22:04

Yep, in the video that's pretty much what it is - http://xhne.ws/wbGsZ

Distinction without a difference. The proper term for industrial 3D printing IS "Additive Manufacturing."

http://www.technolog...-manufacturing/

#12 Turk.

Turk.

Neowinian

• 581 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 22:27

3D Printed House
2w6c4mu.jpg

#13 pallipdrsn0

pallipdrsn0

Neowinian

• 118 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 22:46

From this

original-3d-printer_o_1621339.jpg

to potentially wipe out entire industries is preeetttttyyy, preeettty, prettttyyy gooooddd

tumblr_msricuXJGH1qb5wa3o1_500.gif

#14 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

• 7,041 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 22:55

This just the beginning, wait until the process gets better and this could seriously revolutionise housing development.

#15 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,617 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 00:08

I also think some people are vastly underrating the benefits of the material being made from recycled bits.