Firm 3D prints 10 full-sized houses in a day

I'm going to have to agree with the neigh-sayers.

Do these buildings comply with any building regulations? Can they take punishment from bad weather? Do they even withstand rain or do they leak? Too many unanswered questions to know if this is worthwhile or not, but the recycled material usage is good.

I understand that regulations are set for a reason but if a person has to chose either to live on the streets or in one of these you may guess 1 time what he will say to those regulations in a heartbeat.

I'm going to have to agree with the neigh-sayers.

Do these buildings comply with any building regulations? Can they take punishment from bad weather? Do they even withstand rain or do they leak? Too many unanswered questions to know if this is worthwhile or not, but the recycled material usage is good.

Who's regs? America's? Englands? China's?  

Wait.. China -has- building regulations? :p

Tents aren't buildings and don't have to comply with building regulation, there's a huge difference between a house and a tent.

Many people in the world do live in tents, huts, caves. ;)

Those bricks are actually able to withstand a very heavy load. Not weak at all ;)

It?s good to know other places have good standards... Here, I've seen bricks, some of those solid tablets type, literally 'melt down' in water as if they had skipped the firing process... Scary, as sometimes bricks removed from 50-60 years old houses being brought down are still perfectly fit for use... :(

I understand that regulations are set for a reason but if a person has to chose either to live on the streets or in one of these you may guess 1 time what he will say to those regulations in a heartbeat.

so you're saying it's ok to build people death traps if they can't afford better...

Call me when their houses are printed with proper walls that can be wired from the inside and with insulation and structural enough to stand up to modern Norwegian building certifications. 

Isn't this what technology is all about?

That's why USB speed is slow to... well.. speed up.  Because they develop the technology only a little.

If they can build a basic house, the next is to print houses "with proper walls that can be wired from the inside and with insulation and structural enough to stand up to modern Norwegian building certifications."

They are designing them to be code compliant. They can put rebar into the wall as they're printed as well as PVC etc. runs for wiring, reinforced polymer plumbing & hot water heat lines, data cables etc. etc. Same techs that are used to build factory built homes now.

Isn't this what technology is all about?

That's why USB speed is slow to... well.. speed up.  Because they develop the technology only a little.

If they can build a basic house, the next is to print houses "with proper walls that can be wired from the inside and with insulation and structural enough to stand up to modern Norwegian building certifications."

Some people just like to complain that new technologies don't spring forth from their creators hands as good as they can ever possibly get. They don't seem to understand that you have to start somewhere, and improve over time...

Lets not forget a lot of homes built today are wood on a cement foundation with brick or siding on the outside.  This is solid cement and probably more sturdy, especially with the angles used.  The materials used here are closer to apartment buildings than houses.

Lets not forget a lot of homes built today are wood on a cement foundation with brick or siding on the outside.  This is solid cement and probably more sturdy, especially with the angles used.  The materials used here are closer to apartment buildings than houses.

Not in Europe they're not. Here, they're brick.

Is that also true in China?

Depends where you are in China, really. Some are brick, some are wood, some are bamboo, some are sheet metal, some are mud...  These "printed" ones are essentially concrete.