• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:07

Unless somethings changed vastly, xeon CPUs are not compatible with desktop motherboards

#17 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:33

Unless somethings changed vastly, xeon CPUs are not compatible with desktop motherboards

The Xeon and i7 lines are the same designs and just branded slightly differently these days. Here's an example of a motherboard supporting both: http://support.asus....JB5jBpArfvcpcNi

He'd need to check his mobo to be sure though.

#18 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 April 2014 - 13:21

The Xeon and i7 lines are the same designs and just branded slightly differently these days. Here's an example of a motherboard supporting both: http://support.asus....JB5jBpArfvcpcNi

Ah they're only entry level E3 xeons, nothing higher than that with the note '*Intel Xeon Processor Family is designed for servers. Some features may not support when installed on 8 series chipsets. For more details, refer to ASUS support site at http://support.asus.com.' so it's not worth going for xeon as nothing would be gained.

#19 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

Deadhead

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 April 2014 - 13:31

Sure they are.  I have a Xeon 3110 in my HTPC right now.  

#20 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 April 2014 - 13:44

wouldn't it be the GPU you would be worried about? I wouldn't imagine any change in processor for you would result in any difference at all... unless i am misunderstanding your question...

For conversion, almost 100% of the actual conversion is done through the graphics card.

added: for verification, I just looked up more info and it really depends on what program you are using for the trascoding, some programs offload the processing to the GPU and some offload to the CPU... and some even do combination. The programs i use always use the GPU since much faster for that paticular kind of work. The way i know it, a CPU is white collar workers and a GPU is like the actual grunt workers.

#21 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 26 April 2014 - 14:24

Why not you wait till June for new Haswell Refresh.

#22 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 April 2014 - 14:46

I am transcoding, that is all CPU. I suppose some do that through GPU, but everything I have used (any now mostly Plex) is CPU. Thanks guys :)

I may wait until June, its just annoying to play certain things all at once.

#23 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 26 April 2014 - 15:11

So Socket 1150, you are stuck with 4 cores.. There are NO CPUs in the 1150 socket over 4 cores.

And the highest Xeon is E3-1285 I believe, and it is just SLIGHTLY faster then the 4770... So unless you want to change your board out to a Dual or Quad socket, you are stuck.

#24 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 26 April 2014 - 18:20

Ah they're only entry level E3 xeons, nothing higher than that with the note '*Intel Xeon Processor Family is designed for servers. Some features may not support when installed on 8 series chipsets. For more details, refer to ASUS support site at http://support.asus.com.' so it's not worth going for xeon as nothing would be gained.

Well this board doesn't because the socket is limited to 4 core products, but keep in mind that there are other consumer boards that will support non-entry level Xeons (with the same stipulation you listed above). For example: http://support.asus....m=P9X79 PRO&p=1 (12 core HTs). It really depends on the board you are using basically.

#25 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 26 April 2014 - 20:34

I am transcoding, that is all CPU. I suppose some do that through GPU, but everything I have used (any now mostly Plex) is CPU.

You'd do well to use software that takes advantage of hardware encoding (NVENC/QuickSync) if you want to improve your throughput. Although the quality tends to be inferior to x264, it's fine for live streaming and such.

#26 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 April 2014 - 20:49

Well this board doesn't because the socket is limited to 4 core products, but keep in mind that there are other consumer boards that will support non-entry level Xeons (with the same stipulation you listed above). For example: http://support.asus....m=P9X79 PRO&p=1 (12 core HTs). It really depends on the board you are using basically.

And unless you have a server board which takes full advantage of the extras offered by the Xeons, there's no point in getting xeons. Sure, you might get higher clock speeds, but you gain none of the extra features which make xeons worthwhile and would only be denting your wallet.

#27 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 26 April 2014 - 20:52

And unless you have a server board which takes full advantage of the extras offered by the Xeons, there's no point in getting xeons. Sure, you might get higher clock speeds, but you gain none of the extra features which make xeons worthwhile and would only be denting your wallet.

Exactly what "Extra" are you speaking of with a Xeon compatible board?

#28 sinetheo

sinetheo

Neowinian

Posted 26 April 2014 - 22:12

What CPU on the Intel side is better then the i7 4770K? Haswell? 1150 socket?

Need to upgrade my CPU so that it can do 2 to 3 transcoding streams at once (my current can hardly do one, to be clear, my listed specs is not my streaming PC). What would be the best option?

Pfft I am stuck on a 2.6 GHz phenom II. An I7 I would die for.

If you have lots of cash get a mac pro can series. 1 gig a second PCI ssd, a xeon 10 core, and a real professional grade graphics card. The $9,000 version can do 3 4k streams with ease.

Sounds like you need a better graphics card with 2 gigs of ram on it.

The extreme editions are just remarked xeons from prev generation

#29 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 26 April 2014 - 22:23

I am transcoding, that is all CPU. I suppose some do that through GPU, but everything I have used (any now mostly Plex) is CPU. Thanks guys :)

I may wait until June, its just annoying to play certain things all at once.

Might I ask why exactly you're doing so much transcoding? If you're streaming to devices that don't directly play source video files you might just want to look at replacing that. I have all my media stored on my laptop on a simple Windows share, and my Raspberry Pi can stream everything over the network (including gigantic 1080P video files) in perfect quality without any transcoding. And a Raspberry Pi for every TV is probably still a lot cheaper than an expensive CPU you don't really need. And with XBMC on them you get an awesome interface too.

#30 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 April 2014 - 23:01

Exactly what "Extra" are you speaking of with a Xeon compatible board?

ECC is a very big extra, and I'm sure there's others.