Thanks for Everything, Official Xbox Magazine

Thanks for Everything, Official Xbox Magazine

http://www.ign.com/blogs/ign_ryan/2014/04/25/thanks-for-everything-official-xbox-magazine

That's why today is such a sad day for me. As of this writing, my former co-workers, friends, and professional family at OXM US are putting their last issue to bed before they are handed their pink slips in the wake of parent company Future Publishing laying off a third of its US staff and ceasing US production of the magazine that gave me my start in this business.

US Production of the Official Xbox Magazine (OXM US) is officially ending, OXM US staff will be saying their final goodbyes on the last edition of the magazine before changeover.

That is sad but quite inevitable, I hope the people will be OK after this.

I hope so also, its never a good thing when a business closes it doors and people are layed off from work. I'm sure these guys will be fine and will continue with the next chapter of their lives.

Print media in general is a falling market, OXM US also had a online presence but with the internet and free news outlets it makes it difficult for a magazine to sell online also.

Sadly there is really no reason for print gaming media anymore, as you say it's likely the people that lose this job will move on to online media, so they will be OK long term

Yeah, I bought them religiously back before I had Broadband or my own Computer. But when I have both, unless they fork out for some exclusive interview, I can find out all the stuff for free online.

Gaming magazines are a dying breed.

Magazines in general are in their death throes. Long gone are the days of people who are willing to purchase a monthly mag that is 20% content and 80% advertisement.

Magazines in general are in their death throes. Long gone are the days of people who are willing to purchase a monthly mag that is 20% content and 80% advertisement.

I hear that.. shoot I think the last time I personally bought a printed magazine was quite a number of years ago.. turn of the century I think. Same goes for printed books for that matter, about a decade. Pity to see it go, not that I ever read it myself but could have gone the all-digital route.
  • Like 1

I hear that.. shoot I think the last time I personally bought a printed magazine was quite a number of years ago.. turn of the century I think. Same goes for printed books for that matter, about a decade. Pity to see it go, not that I ever read it myself but could have gone the all-digital route.

Quite so. While it seems like a bad thing, it's just progress. Digital can actually generate more content related jobs, the printing jobs, yes those will be lost. Like you have not bought a physical book since getting onboard with Kindle finally, which was in 2011. Before that was an ardent book buyer. Simply can't imagine doing that again, to think I used to lug hundreds of books around when moving and stuff - ridiculous.