AMD Radeon Driver 14.4 is out

I didn't experience this problem previously but I've just recently set up achi on windows 7. It seems like the usb and sata drivers were just recently introduced in the installer. This is the first time I've seen them and I've been using the betas.

I didn't experience this problem previously but I've just recently set up achi on windows 7. It seems like the usb and sata drivers were just recently introduced in the installer. This is the first time I've seen them and I've been using the betas.

I don't mind them adding chipset drivers in there since I needed them anyway and I always used custom install. The fact that the latest ones hang Windows is really bad though because I couldn't enter without doing a restore (same with 14.3 beta).

Yes. It's just annoying when it flashes and the messages pops up repeatedly. It gives me a headache. But some days it will be absolutely fine and not show it. It never happens on the onboard CPU graphics. And the card is fine on a windows 7 box I have. Now I have started to ramp up the fan speed on the GPU. I can only think maybe that it is overheating when it is ticking over and the fans are low RPM. I have read that this error also appears on nVidia cards.

Haven't used the latest drivers but have you tried aggressively underclocking the card? IIRC it uses frequency scaling but maybe set it up so that it has a bias towards energy saving - see if that helps the situation.

It's weird, my dad's desktop which has a RADEON HD5500 hangs after you reboot upon finishing the driver install, and goes no further than the Windows 7 Startup logo. However, my AMD E1-1200 APU, took the 14.4 driver just fine.

Figured what exactly was causing Windows 7 to hang at the logo with their post 14.2 drivers. It was the SATA driver.

Thank you, I will try that tonight, reinstalling the 14.4 set minus the sata driver

Dear Customer,

You had submitted an AMD Issue Reporting Form on an issue you were experiencing with the AMD Catalyst 14.4 drivers.

The Catalyst 14.4 driver package included an updated AHCI driver which is responsible for the operation of your SATA hard drives. In some system configurations with AMD chipsets, the system would no longer boot and would not proceed beyond the animated Windows logo.

Based on your feedback, we were able to respond immediately and have the AHCI component removed from the Catalyst 14.4 driver package.

The updated driver is now available on our website.

If you have successfully restored your system and wish to install the latest Catalyst 14.4 driver, you can download the driver from the following link.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your assistance in helping us improve the quality of our drivers.

Regards,

Ray Menzies

AMD Global Customer Care

Glad I helped get this sorted :D

Radeon 7xxx (Legacy)

My card is legacy now? I just bought it! :/

Nevermind, in AMD's world 7700 series isn't part of 7xxx somehow. Stupid naming schemes.

This refers to the non-HD 7xxx series (Radeon and Mobile Radeon, AKA "Classic" Radeon) - which has been only supported by the legacy driver since Windows 7.

The HD7xxx (like the R7) is supported by Catalyst 14.4.

In fact, Catalyst 14.4 goes all the way back to HD5xxx (desktop and Mobility) - just nothing prior.