xbox one microsoft cloud computing xbox 360 xbox live xbl

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#16 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 27 April 2014 - 15:50

So how does "cloud computing" translate to pixels moving on my screen... I still don't understand exactly what they are trying to say this improves performance on. Since games = graphics, and graphics = bandwidth...

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 April 2014 - 16:04

Yes the graphics of the Japanese diagram indicates 3X more power which including the Xbox your playing on means 4X the power, but the previous announcement was 'Cloud makes Xbox One four times more powerful' which would be 5 Xboxes including the Xbox your playing on. Its also missing a few Xbox 360's from the original announcement

4x more powerful is not 5 xboxes, its 4.

1x4=4 not 5 :)

So how does "cloud computing" translate to pixels moving on my screen... I still don't understand exactly what they are trying to say this improves performance on. Since games = graphics, and graphics = bandwidth...

Imagine your GPU being a bucket of water. half of this water goes into graphics, another half goes into other GPGPU tasks that the CPU doesn't do or don't have the capacity for.

now with the cloud you can remove all those GPUGPU tasks from the GPU and into the CPU and cloud computing. letting the full bucket of GPU power go to graphics. 

#18 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 27 April 2014 - 16:31

4x more powerful is not 5 xboxes, its 4.

1x4=4 not 5 :)

Imagine your GPU being a bucket of water. half of this water goes into graphics, another half goes into other GPGPU tasks that the CPU doesn't do or don't have the capacity for.

now with the cloud you can remove all those GPUGPU tasks from the GPU and into the CPU and cloud computing. letting the full bucket of GPU power go to graphics. 

Keyword = More.

4X More powerful = 1(Xbox One your using)+4(4X More powerful) = 5.

The 'cloud' or any 'server' really can allow you to offload computations but this doesn't really affect graphics/pixels much and you have to know the differences between the CPU and GPU to understand why.

http://www.dump.com/mythbustersshow/

Myth Busters guys made a small presentation on the differences, basically a CPU does serial outputs while GPU does parallel. In 1080p there are 1920x1080 pixels on screen which is over 2 million individual pixels and at 60fps that means the system has to control over 120 million switches per second. A GPU does this in parallel while the CPU would change one pixel then go to the next until it does all 2 million. Its why we have GPU's in PC's rather than let the CPU output the graphics.

I am aware that CPU's have multiple cores and threads these days but they still don't match or are even close to the amount of threads the GPU outputs.

#19 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 27 April 2014 - 16:35

I wouldn't worry about the cloud all that much. Its main use will be just for hosting your multiplayer games for you instead of having it hosted by other players(as consoles have done it for years). Enhancements to what you see on your screen will be unlikely or extremely limited.

#20 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 27 April 2014 - 16:36

It CAN, but it don't.

#21 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 27 April 2014 - 16:38

It's all a bunch of marketing hype. They have a distinct understanding of what this means, and while there are advantages, the way they portray it and the way the people will interpret it seems rather poor.

Enhancing graphics by "degrees" versus leading people to believe that an Xbox One is like 3 or 4 Xbox Ones with the cloud is rather disingenuous.

We can talk about cloud computing until we're blue in the face, but I'm sure the rest of you here could at least agree with that.

#22 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2014 - 16:48

Ah....The wonders of the cloud and Graphene......*Tokes on joint*

#23 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 27 April 2014 - 17:02

Topic Cleaned

If I have to clean this topic again warns will be handed out.

#24 Master of Earth

Master of Earth

Neowinian

Posted 27 April 2014 - 17:16

let's see this year E3 conference how many game will truly have anything to do with the "CLOUD" . In fact, the xbox one haven't even unleash the ultimate performance and it's kinda dopey that they keep telling you it will need the internet for extra horsepower which isn't quite feasible at the moment for people without high speed internet. 

#25 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 April 2014 - 17:44

The highest profile cloud-optimised game was Titanfall, which launched at 792p and had framerate issues. Colour me unimpressed.

#26 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 27 April 2014 - 17:50

The highest profile cloud-optimised game was Titanfall, which launched at 792p and had framerate issues. Colour me unimpressed.

Did you just call Titanfall cloud-optimised? :laugh: Also, what do resolution and framerate have to do with cloud-optimisations?

#27 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 April 2014 - 20:22

Did you just call Titanfall cloud-optimised? :laugh:

That's what the developers claimed.

Also, what do resolution and framerate have to do with cloud-optimisations?

Supposedly calculations are meant to be offloaded to the cloud in order to improve performance. The reality is that it has no bearing on performance.

#28 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 27 April 2014 - 20:36

That's what the developers claimed.

Supposedly calculations are meant to be offloaded to the cloud in order to improve performance. The reality is that it has no bearing on performance.

But calculations are offloaded to the cloud. Check out Diablo 3 and WoW, for example. This doesn't mean that graphics, as in, meshes, models, textures, sprites and other similar stuff, will be magically rendered on the cloud and then just streamed down to the players, unless the game has specifically been made that way.. something which absolutely is not the case with TItanfall, since you do not install all that data for no reason. If that were the case, then we would have had an OnLive-like experience when playing Titanfall.

#29 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 27 April 2014 - 20:54

Wow, just wow. I'm surprised this article was used for the topic.....

People don't want to take what MS said, they just want to inject whatever silly notion they have about the 'cloud'. I have to say that discussions on this topic are some of the hardest to have.

MS didn't mention improving graphical fidelity at all, and yet, the same old comments are made, the same jokes are made.

Their statement was actually true that they have enough servers dedicated to X1 use to equal the COMPUTATIONAL power of so many 360s or X1s. For some reason people will literally brush that factual statement aside and focus on how they take the entire presentation.

MS has 300k servers for this purpose, you don't spend all the money and time setting those up and not want to mention it to the end users.

I think what gets MS in trouble is using too many numbers. Throwing out too many numbers along with words that people clearly take the wrong way, and you get this constant blow back. MS should just come out and say:

"We built a bunch of servers to do stuff for games" That would be less controversial.

#30 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2014 - 21:02

inb4 "Japanese microsoft doesn't represent the whole of microsoft".

That seems to be the mantra these days. If a MS department screws up, it's either a rogue employee or not "representative of the company". Makes one wonder when a company can be held accountable for its actions doesn't it?