How does the Forum search even work?

Whenever I'm searching for Threads, I put keyword(s) that I know are in the title of it in the hope of finding it, however the results that often come up seem random and unrelated, not even having the word in its title or tags. Earlier on I wanted to find the April Desktops thread because I forgot what sub-section is in, so I searched "April 2014 Desktops".

The thread didn't even turn up on any of the search pages, after rephrasing it a few times it eventually turned up when I just searched "desktops". On page 2.

Am I searching wrong? If I know the full or partial name of a thread I want to find how do I search for it so that it turns up?

It's best to be in the overall section you want, then Search.

Use one or two keywords.

And if you want to find something in Front Page News -- forget it.

Search just does not work at all for FPN.

q: How does the Forum search even work?

a: Terrible.

you can search for a word in the title, I did the other did. in the advanced search, that's kind of well hidden. and even then even thought he topic has that word in the title, you set it to search in only titles, you'd expect it to be the top and probably only result... but no... you get pages of results, and the topic you're locking for, the only one with that word in the title, it's buried FAR down in the results, it might not even be page one. 

It's best to use Google/Bing search Neowin then your query or Neowin forums then your query.

• Like 1

It doesn't. I try searching for threads by using their thread title word for word and I usually can't find them, and if I do they are on page 7 of the results.

It doesn't. I try searching for threads by using their thread title word for word and I usually can't find them, and if I do they are on page 7 of the results.

Dogpile.com is for real men. :p

Popped right up on top:

post-37120-0-42601900-1398541413.png

• 3 months later...