transferring files between smartphone and PC

So looking through the Play Store there are numerous apps to transfer files through Wi-Fi. However these apps don't work if the PC and smartphone are on different networks (such as using school computers). I've tried connecting via FTP, but it doesn't seem to work. I can use Pushbullet for files less than 25MB but I'd still need a solution for larger files. I'd rather not have to bring my USB cable, so if anyone knows of other possible solutions, it would be appreciated.

I often use Dropbox. I put the files in my dropbox folder and open dropbos on my smart phone. There are probably smarter alternatives, but this fits my needs :)

What I do I installed Solid Explorer and setup a vpn on my router, then I connect to my vpn from cell (4G) and have access to all my network shares.

I've used AirDroid before and it works...as long as both the smartphone and PC are on the same network.

it works over cell network too if you log in with your google account

it works over cell network too if you log in with your google account

I will have to wait til Monday to test this, but if it works that will be so awesome.

So how'd AirDroid work out for you? or are you still looking for another app?

Unfortunately I was too busy to try it out yet. BTW would you clarify what you meant by cell network? I hope that doesn't mean mobile data (4g).

Unfortunately I was too busy to try it out yet. BTW would you clarify what you meant by cell network? I hope that doesn't mean mobile data (4g).

yes by cell network i meant mobile data

edit: on thinking about it, as long as you're connected to any wifi connection it should be able to use that as long as you use your google account to connect and not the direct ip

Well I was unable to use AirDroid even with 4G. And perhaps related (or not), but the qrcode at http://web.airdroid.com doesn't show.

you need to log into your google account on the airdroid app then you can use your google account from http://web.airdroid.com to connect to your phone

should work using 4g or wifi (using your google account means you don't need to be on the same wifi network to connect)

Does it have to be a Google account or just an AirDroid account? I was trying the latter and it doesn't connect.

Edit: Im using an LG Optimus L9 and I do not have admin access to the computers so I can't install any software.

Does it have to be a Google account or just an AirDroid account? I was trying the latter and it doesn't connect.

Edit: Im using an LG Optimus L9 and I do not have admin access to the computers so I can't install any software.

either or. google account is usually easier since android users are already guaranteed to have one (one less thing to have to sign up for)

For really large files I've found a way that's a little different but is really fast, a Dual USB Drive. One end has a normal USB end, copy files from your PC, take it out..the other end has a micro USB, you plug it into your phone, it reads as a drives, no software or cable needed, transfer your large files, or play movies etc directly off it. So simple and quick.

sandisk.jpg

• 1 year later...

This is why I love Windows phone; hook it up to my PC, and it becomes a virtual drive that I can transfer things from and to with ease.

I have Android but use Microsoft apps (OneDrive). I put most things that I want to share/copy to the cloud and then I can access from anywhere, on any device.