Word auto-format problems

Question

I am having a difficult time working with a Word document because of auto-format.

I created a long dashed line near the top of my doucment to separate two sections. Word converted the dashed line into a solid line which fills the width of the page. That is fine and what I want to accomplish.

The next instance of a dashed line I put in, Word again converted it to a solid line. This time though, Word decided to shorten the line. If I undo the auto-format, Word puts it back to a dashed line. The problem with this is that it's inconsistent with the first line. I am unable to figure out how to get Word to make the line the same length.

I am also finding that once the auto-format converts the line, it becomes impossible to delete without first deleting content from my document.

I'm creating a resume and want the solid lines to be section breaks.

8 answers to this question

can you just copy/paste the first line into where else you need it into the document, or is that not working as well?

I've attached a sample document showing the formatting issues.

Not only is Word not making the line go across the width of the page, but it is also making the lines different lengths. I would like all the lines to look like the one under objective. I'd also like to not have to delete content just to get rid of a line in order to make it the proper length.formatting sample.doc

I've attached a sample document showing the formatting issues.

Not only is Word not making the line go across the width of the page, but it is also making the lines different lengths. I would like all the lines to look like the one under objective. I'd also like to not have to delete content just to get rid of a line in order to make it the proper length.attachicon.gifformatting sample.doc

Most straight forward way to do this manually is to click on the first (correct) line to place the cursor there, then hit the Format Painter button, and click on one of the lines that you'd like to transfer that appearance to. You can also create a custom style for these breaks (maybe apply a border or something) and apply it to all lines where you want the horizontal line.

Here's your file back. :p

formatting sample.doc

It's still not working the way I want. I can use the format painter on the first line and get the next line properly formatted, but then I can't click below the line and enter more text. If Word makes the first line fit the width of the page, why can't each subsequent line be the same way?

The current underline underneath your bullet, is a bottom-border for the bullet-line.

How about you type some text, hit enter, to get to a non-bullet line.

Then, you can select the bullet-line, and select to NOT have a bottom border on it.

Then, you can move the cursor to be on the non-bullet line, and adjust the tab marker in the ruler at the top, so that it properly extends to the full length.

It's all about controlling the tab markers in the ruler, and controlling the border options for the current line you are on.

Good luck!

It's still not working the way I want. I can use the format painter on the first line and get the next line properly formatted, but then I can't click below the line and enter more text. If Word makes the first line fit the width of the page, why can't each subsequent line be the same way?

Try making a new style. Any name will do, make the style type Paragraph. Make the following style Normal or whatever style you're using for the resume text. Apply whatever formatting suits you. In the style pane, go to Format > Border, and click on the bottom edge of the preview image to apply a bottom border. Save the style and apply it to your "Objective", etc text.

Made a sample style.

formatting sample.doc

I've managed to get the line issue resolved by using format painter, except for one area. I have the following format setup:

• Text
  • Text
  • Text

In the document, there isn't that much space in between the top and bottom line. I get the lines all fixed and save the document. The next time I open it, I've got this:

• Text
  • Text
  • Text

I'm going to end up completely redoing the document without all the lines, but I would like to know why Word is messing up the formatting after it's all perfect and saved.