Photo

$2500 Build - Feedback?

build intel nvidia

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 mastercoms

mastercoms

Stop the genocide. Start the peace. Gaza 2014.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 + WP8.1

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:20

I've made a build which I'll be building for summer 2014, it has drastically changed from my last build in February because I've decided to use Unreal Engine 4 now. My budget is USD$2500, with a bit of leeway. I'll be building either in late May or early August. I'll be using Visual Studio 2013, Unreal Engine 4, Hitfilm 2 Ultimate, Paint.NET, and will be playing Watch_Dogs, Titanfall, and other next-generation titles, as they come out, along with Humble Bundle games, and maybe a bit of CAD using Autodesk Inventor.

I will be overclocking.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ABLD

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($529.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($229.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($459.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($499.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor  ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Logitech G105 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($47.39 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Laser Mouse  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2594.28

#2 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:39

Get Steelseries for mouse. Razer mice craps themselves after a bit usage.

On the other hand, drop that keyboard. Get Razer Black Widow Ultimate (silent if you can order from razer store).

For the record: I have naga, naga hex, mamba, black widow ultimate, onza tournament.

#3 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:52

I think that build is just fine, but I would suggest a smaller SSD for Windows and programs and a 7200rpm HDD for your main storage and games. It should also bring the price down a bit, and you will get the same performance anyway.

#4 OP mastercoms

mastercoms

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:54

On the other hand, drop that keyboard. Get Razer Black Widow Ultimate (silent if you can order from razer store).

For the record: I have naga, naga hex, mamba, black widow ultimate, onza tournament.

Yeah I wasn't too sure about the peripherals, thanks for the suggestions

#5 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 29 April 2014 - 13:06

Is there a reason why you chose an i7 over an i5? From a price to performance ratio (for gaming) the i5 is a better choice. Unless you're planning on doing some really CPU intensive computing, an i7 doesn't buy you much.

#6 Slammers

Slammers

Neowinian

Posted 29 April 2014 - 13:16

Is there a reason why you chose an i7 over an i5? From a price to performance ratio (for gaming) the i5 is a better choice. Unless you're planning on doing some really CPU intensive computing, an i7 doesn't buy you much.

I think what you are saying was true 18 months ago, but there are many games coming out in the last 6 months and onward that are optimized for the extra cores. Couple with release of the new consoles and we will see much more use of 8+ cores in future games. My i5 often bottlenecks my SLI 760's in BF4 on 64 player maps. If you were going for a budget build I would be all for i5 but seeing as your are wanting to pay decent money you may as well get the i7 and not have to worry about upgrading your CPU for a good 2+ years

#7 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 29 April 2014 - 13:17

That seems to be the opposite of my experience with the razer mouse i currently use, a 3 year old razer naga. Every other gaming mouse i've had has died far sooner at right around 2 years.

#8 OP mastercoms

mastercoms

Posted 29 April 2014 - 13:20

I am not just gaming, as said in the OP. Also, games are going to be using more threads, especially when DX12 comes out

#9 OP mastercoms

mastercoms

Posted 29 April 2014 - 13:25

I think that build is just fine, but I would suggest a smaller SSD for Windows and programs and a 7200rpm HDD for your main storage and games. It should also bring the price down a bit, and you will get the same performance anyway.

I'm not too concerned about the price and I guess it would be better to have all my data on an SSD anyway instead of just an OS and some programs

#10 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 29 April 2014 - 13:26

If your going to build in August your list is going to completely change.

For Titanfall just about any system built within the last 2 years should be able to run it at max settings, Watchdogs requires an i7 processor or equivalent and a Nvidia GTX 670 / AMD Radeon HD 7970 and above to run at max settings. You easily cover these games at max settings with that build.

I personally prefer Wireless peripherals which are slightly more expensive than wired keyboard and mouse but are worth it in my opinion.

Keyboard is a solar powered keyboard which I've never had to connect to a charger or change batteries and the mouse has a dock which it sits in to charge when not in use.

I also use a HDTV as my monitor via hdmi outputs on the GPU, pretty nice playing BF4 or Red Alert 2 (Classic game) on a 60" screen. :)

Specs wise I think you nailed it for that price range, I just dont agree with your peripherals and monitor. But all else is good if you were buying today.

#11 OP mastercoms

mastercoms

Posted 29 April 2014 - 13:37

If your going to build in August your list is going to completely change.

For Titanfall just about any system built within the last 2 years should be able to run it at max settings, Watchdogs requires an i7 processor or equivalent and a Nvidia GTX 670 / AMD Radeon HD 7970 and above to run at max settings. You easily cover these games at max settings with that build.

I personally prefer Wireless peripherals which are slightly more expensive than wired keyboard and mouse but are worth it in my opinion.
Keyboard is a solar powered keyboard which I've never had to connect to a charger or change batteries and the mouse has a dock which it sits in to charge when not in use.

I also use a HDTV as my monitor via hdmi outputs on the GPU, pretty nice playing BF4 or Red Alert 2 (Classic game) on a 60" screen. :)

Specs wise I think you nailed it for that price range, I just dont agree with your peripherals and monitor. But all else is good if you were buying today.

I have experienced lag in the past with wireless keyboards, have things changed so there isn't noticeable lag? I am also concerned about the possibility of interference.
Unfortunately I haven't bought any monitors, keyboards, or mice in a while

#12 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 April 2014 - 13:45

I'd be more tempted to get a decent but smaller SSD for OS, and then 4 x 1TB 7200 disks setup using storage spaces for decent performance and redundancy.

#13 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 April 2014 - 13:51

I am not just gaming, as said in the OP. Also, games are going to be using more threads, especially when DX12 comes out

No DX12 is going to let games use the threads they do use better. effectively it will make the i5 a better gaming cpu with little to no change on the i7 since no game will be close to hitting the max single thread performance of an i5, they don't even do that today and own't for many years. games barely use cpu. 

I'm also highly skeptical of any claims that BF4 bottlenecks on an i5 today. seems highly unrealistic it doesn't even bottleneck on my AMD with a lot less per thread performance(maybe he has one of those 2 core i5's... even then... I'm skeptical).

I'm assuming hitfilm 2 ultimate is some video editing/rendering program and that you will be editing and thus rendering a LOT though, which would make the i7 make sense, as there's no other of your apps who need the high per core performance of the i7, not even CAD.

So if you're just going to be casually editing movies, where overnight rendering of the longer sequences is the norm, then an i5 would probably be a better solution, or at least the i7 would be unnecessary.  But if you have the money to throw away, I'm not one to criticize, do what you want with them. 

I have experienced lag in the past with wireless keyboards, have things changed so there isn't noticeable lag? I am also concerned about the possibility of interference.

Modern wireless keyboards and mouse have zero noticeable lag. some logitech mice even have a lower latency at their highest gamer settings than wired. 

#14 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 29 April 2014 - 14:09

No DX12 is going to let games use the threads they do use better. effectively it will make the i5 a better gaming cpu with little to no change on the i7 since no game will be close to hitting the max single thread performance of an i5, they don't even do that today and own't for many years. games barely use cpu. 

I'm also highly skeptical of any claims that BF4 bottlenecks on an i5 today. seems highly unrealistic it doesn't even bottleneck on my AMD with a lot less per thread performance(maybe he has one of those 2 core i5's... even then... I'm skeptical).

I'm assuming hitfilm 2 ultimate is some video editing/rendering program and that you will be editing and thus rendering a LOT though, which would make the i7 make sense, as there's no other of your apps who need the high per core performance of the i7, not even CAD.

So if you're just going to be casually editing movies, where overnight rendering of the longer sequences is the norm, then an i5 would probably be a better solution, or at least the i7 would be unnecessary.  But if you have the money to throw away, I'm not one to criticize, do what you want with them. 

Modern wireless keyboards and mouse have zero noticeable lag. some logitech mice even have a lower latency at their highest gamer settings than wired. 

The new i7's are 6-core.

VS, Hitfilm and Paint.NET will all utilize the CPU extensively so a faster CPU with more threads is better. Also not sure what he means by UR4 Engine if he is building games for it or just wants to play games which use it. If his building again CPU is important but in regards to playing games you are correct in saying that the CPU is rarely ever the bottleneck and that is usually on the GPU.

No noticeable lag at all, very responsive. In regards to interference I use quite a few wireless devices and haven't had an issue with conflicts or inference from each other or other devices which use the 2.4Ghz frequency range.

I remember the first wireless mouse I had would stop working every now and then or move by itself due to interference but modern wireless mouses have no interference issues that I've seen.

#15 OP mastercoms

mastercoms

Posted 29 April 2014 - 14:14

Also not sure what he means by UR4 Engine if he is building games for it or just wants to play games which use it.

I am making games with the Unreal Engine 4 engine. I have the $19/month subscription.