78 replies to this topic

#1 bikeman25

bikeman25

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Windows 8 Phone--Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:02

Hi All

First time I had cable internet since 2004, so wondering if there is anything special I need to do to protect PC During Storm season?   The device has built in battery backup, Modem, Gateway, and such for our WOW Ultra tv service, (battery backup only for phone)   on a surge protector,  Main PC on a UPS battery backup.    Do I just shutdown PC like I used to on DSL and disconnect Ethernet cable, and put it away from the PC. 

Reason wondering mainly is can't afford a replacement PC if anything should happen to it, so little extra extra cautious nowadays

#2 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:12

Get a surge protector.

I tend to unplug everything in a major lightening storm.  Not worth the risk.  They only last about an hour usually.

#3 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:15

unplug your most valued devices from the power outlets. Simple and effective solution.

#4 OP bikeman25

bikeman25

Neowinian

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:16

Yeah i'm considering unplugging everything, though Family members may complain as WOW Ultra tv gateway also supplies TV signal to Media player boxes upstairs, but rather be safe than sorry myself.   

#5 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:19

As long as things aren't connected directly and you don't have crappy surge equipment you should be fine.

I only unplug when it's particularly interesting outside.  Heh.

#6 sava700

sava700

• Phone: nice phone

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:47

If you are not using an APC for backup power and surge protection then you fail at running any computer.

A surge is rare ok, but brown outs and unclean power is constant no matter what type of home or building you are in so invest in even a small APC!!!!

#7 OP bikeman25

bikeman25

Neowinian

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:49

This PC Does have an APC for it, rest don't at this time, I need to get more APC battery backups for those PC's, Cyberpower UPS AVR 700 is got a new battery for that one, i'll be setting that one up for one of the PC's soon, not sure which one yet for that UPS device.   Will invest in a small APC for laptop, and other Desktop

#8 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:55

I tend to unplug everything in a major lightening storm.  Not worth the risk.  They only last about an hour usually.

As do I.  Even if I leave on vacation I unplug all my equipment.  TV, computers, XBOX.  Came back home a few times with blow PSUs or burnt out TVs.

#9 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:57

If you are not using an APC for backup power and surge protection then you fail at running any computer.

A surge is rare ok, but brown outs and unclean power is constant no matter what type of home or building you are in so invest in even a small APC!!!!

i dunno how is the electrical cabling but in my house the current flow is great; also power surges is extremelly rare. Having said that i have friends that live in semi rural places that have like every week power problems :/

#10 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:01

my APCs surge protection is horrible, heh.

I guess I fail.  Cool.

#11 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:10

As do I.  Even if I leave on vacation I unplug all my equipment.  TV, computers, XBOX.  Came back home a few times with blow PSUs or burnt out TVs.

that happens because those devices stay on even if you power them down (they stay in standby mode).

#12 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:12

that happens because those devices stay on even if you power them down (they stay in standby mode).

Yea, I know.  Why I unplug them when I leave for a few days.  Never know when a bad storm will roll thru.

#13 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:52

Hello,

In the not-quite-ten years I lived in Colorado Springs I had one computer totally damaged by electricity (damaged Super I/O controller on South Bridge), but had to replace modems and serial cards yearly (or more frequently), until I finally got in the habit of disconnecting things when a lightning storm arose (or was very likely to arise). And this was using UPSes along with grounded surge suppressors on phone lines and RS-232C ports.

Surge suppression equipment like APC, Cyberpower, Tripp Lite, etc., is not designed to protect your computer from a lightning strike on (or very near) your property--at least their consumer-grade stuff isn't. What it is designed to do is to not start a fire when that does occur. If you are in a location where there's a possibility of a head-on lightning strike, I would suggest looking into grounding rods at the exterior of the house to direct lightning away from inside, and also a whole-house surge suppression system with things like lightning arrestor gas-discharge tubes on potential ingress points (power, telco, cable TV, etc.).

It is important to keep in mind that surge suppression equipment itself has a finite life, too, based on how much voltage their metal oxide varistors (MOVs) dump. You can think of the MOVs as kind of like break pads in your car, except that they don't get replaced (at least, not unless you send the equipment containing them to the factory for repair).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#14 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:14

2 things you learn living in Texas:

1.)  If you dont like the weather, wait 10 minutes - it will change

2.)  When they say a possibility of a bad storm ...they mean go find shelter and dont mess with mother nature.

I have SmartUPS for PC, and the good consumer APC stuff for TV - if it looks like Noah is going to be floating by soon, I unplug everything - why risk it ?  Not like I HAVE to get out an email before the funnel cloud relocates my roof.

FWIW:

2 years ago my rather large BBQ grill was moved over 15 feet...and all 4 wheels were locked in position. - no tornado in the area either.

#15 Tobias Brown

Tobias Brown

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:28

A dece