Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 UK stores

This would not yield the cost benefits.

It's not an issue of race, it's an issue of religious beliefs and their practices, but yes, financial considerations are also a factor.

The one thing that DOES have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with this, is race.

The accusation of racism when criticising Islam seem to be a pretty cynical tactic to quash criticism of the religion.

It's a pretty standard tactic these days. I generally ignore it, along with the people spouting it.

• Like 2

It would be better if they just gave the choice rather than removing products off the line.

Stores don't have the capacity to stock regular and Halal meats for the same products. That would also lead to higher wastage in quieter stores, which hurts profitability. You would also run into the issue of cross-contamination, making it less likely that Muslims will buy there (which is the only reason for stocking Halal products).

This is the most misreported news item of the week.

It is NOT to do with a supposed "demand" from the Muslim community.

It IS to do with this:

* Subway is a franchise, as such any store can stock any items they want from a range

* Each store is managed by a local manager

* Some areas clearly will not sell as many pork-based foods due to higher local Muslim populations

* Currently some stores are using two suppliers, one for Halal meat and one for more traditionally slaughtered meats

As such, if the pork is not selling well, you look at the cost of stocking it.  You also factor in the cost of using two suppliers when one would suffice.

But no, people have to bend this to be a racial issue don't they.

####ing hate how ignorant and blinkered people are at times!

bravo sir! About time someone pointed this out.

If these stores want to go 100% Halal, that's fine. But I hope they make that clear to the customer

You can bet they will.  These stores customers will be predominantly Muslim, as such you can bet they will display the accreditation.

Just seen the Valley Park subway store in Croydon is Halal-only. It's a massive shopping park, with the only Ikea for miles around, massive cinema, many large superstores. Certainly not a predominantly Muslim place. Halal-only. I certainly won't be buying from there anymore.

• Like 1

That's because it is. PC gone mad.

No it's not, it's a business decision. I'd wager an undisclosed sum of money that most of the 185 stores (just over 12% of UK Subways) are in predominantly Muslim areas. That being the case, it makes a lot of business sense to cater to the majority, as not offering Halal products in an area with a Muslim majority significantly hinders sales. Subway aren't dumb enough to commit business Seppuku just because Islam.

And lets not forget, we're talking 3 stores in every 25, so it's not like this is going to impact the majority of Bacon and Salami lovers among us.

Of course, the likes of the EDL and BNP (and probably UKIP activists) are going to use this to gain political points to further their anti-Islam agenda.

• Like 3

Jews were here hundreds of years before Islamics so why didn't they do it sooner?

Pandering to minorities sucks.

Subway will report soon the closing of each and everyone of their outlets.

Halal is the same as Kosher, so with the E.U. looking to ban it, what ill they then do? 

Also not eating pork is a personal choice has nothing to do with religion.

I know Muslims and Jews that drink and eat pork.

Halal is not the same as Kosher.

It is a sin for a muslim or jew to knowingly eat any pig meat.

That being said, meat that is halal is no longer halal if it is contaminated by pig meat. With the way subway preparation occurs (at least in AUS) contamination is a simple as using the knife that they use to cut every other foot long sub in half with a sub with pig meat following a sub without it.

Cheers.

O.K.

for every customer that makes a SubWay purchases on average around the United Kingdom and E.I.R.E. (Republic of Ireland) 1 in every 890 are Islamic.

So if the non Islamics said 'we won't use your SubWay anymore if you don't put bacon, ham and all pork products back on the menu, then we will boycott your establishments.

The only SubWay I know of is in Tonbridge Kent and there are about 1 Islamic people out of every 100,000 people.

So using the figures I have added, then SubWay will be down the toilet.

It's like West Wickham swimming baths stopped non Islamic people using the pool on a specific day and made it Muslim only.

They said because Muslims are particular about whom they share a pool with.

Why do these people migrate to the west?

They should stay in the country where these bias beliefs exist.

i am not really sure why this is such a big news peice. if they are not making a lot of sales of a product due to the clientele they have I would make good business sense to stop purchasing the product to sell.

i am not really sure why this is such a big news peice. if they are not making a lot of sales of a product due to the clientele they have I would make good business sense to stop purchasing the product to sell.

Pork is the biggest selling meat in the UK and E.I.R.E.

I am a vegetarian and for my family I buy mainly pork products, they eat bacon every day, ham 5 days per week and pork joint once a week.

This is typical in the U.K. and E.I.R.E.

O.K.

for every customer that makes a SubWay purchases on average around the United Kingdom and E.I.R.E. (Republic of Ireland) 1 in every 890 are Islamic.

So if the non Islamics said 'we won't use your SubWay anymore if you don't put bacon, ham and all pork products back on the menu, then we will boycott your establishments.

The only SubWay I know of is in Tonbridge Kent and there are about 1 Islamic people out of every 100,000 people.

So using the figures I have added, then SubWay will be down the toilet.

It's like West Wickham swimming baths stopped non Islamic people using the pool on a specific day and made it Muslim only.

They said because Muslims are particular about whom they share a pool with.

Why do these people migrate to the west?

They should stay in the country where these bias beliefs exist.

Did they really do that? After the asbestos roof shutting them down over a year, I'm surprised WW swimming baths is still in business. Are their changing rooms still disgusting piles of athletes-foot-riddled mud?

That being said, meat that is halal is no longer halal if it is contaminated by pig meat. With the way subway preparation occurs (at least in AUS) contamination is a simple as using the knife that they use to cut every other foot long sub in half with a sub with pig meat following a sub without it.

Subway uses different knives for vegetarians so they could easily use a different knife for Halal.

Sadly this is another reminder of the ridiculousness of religion, with people basing their lives on nonsense from nearly 1,500 years ago. Subway is doing this for business reasons but if enough people boycott it then it will quickly change its tune.

• Like 1

^This.

Just have a separate counter. Somehow, here they choose to serve only the intersection of meat people from all religions eat(Mutton and Chicken) instead of union. That means no beef or pork products at almost all major food outlets across this country. It somehow shows how some of us are really dogmatic about religious beliefs.

Papa Johns I think is the only one that serves both beef and pork.. kudos to them.

Sunway is a rip off anyway. You get bread and a few slices of peporoni for almost ?5. I rather get a proper meal for that money.

Halal is not the same as Kosher.

It is a sin for a muslim or jew to knowingly eat any pig meat.

Cheers.

Halal slaughter and Kosher slaughter is the same.

It is not a sin to eat pork, I know many Muslims and Jews that eat pork.

I know many Muslims that drink intoxicating liquor.

As my mate Hussain says, ''it's if I choose to''.

So there you have it Charlie Brown, it's a matter of choice nothing to do with religion.

As for Pigs (Pork) where Islam originated from and where Judaism originated from there were no Pigs.

Nearest place is China (Asia), the wild boar and Europe, mainly Wild in the East and domesticated in the West.

No it's not, it's a business decision. I'd wager an undisclosed sum of money that most of the 185 stores (just over 12% of UK Subways) are in predominantly Muslim areas. That being the case, it makes a lot of business sense to cater to the majority, as not offering Halal products in an area with a Muslim majority significantly hinder's sales. Subway aren't dumb enough to commit business Seppuku just because Islam.

>

Dearborn MI and the Detroit area has huge mumbers of Muslims, the largest mosque in N. America, and tons of Subways, yet this is a non-issue. I guess we just have better integrated, classier Muslims :whistle:

Dearbprn MI and its surrounding area has huge mumbers of Muslims, the largest mosque in N. America, and tons of Subways, yet this is a non-issue. I guess we just have better integrated, classier Muslims :whistle:

Honestly? That wouldn't be difficult...

• Like 1

Dearborn MI and the Detroit area has huge mumbers of Muslims, the largest mosque in N. America, and tons of Subways, yet this is a non-issue. I guess we just have better integrated, classier Muslims :whistle:

It's a British thing.

They panda to minorities and keep a stiff upper lip.

Then when race riots start, then they know why.

I am all for the phrase, 'when in Rome'.

If I went to Saudi Arabia I would respect their customs and rules, as of any country.

the quoran states, you must respect others and you must follow the laws of that country and respect others beliefs.

This all stinks of the crap under a labour government when every Xmas there was some fat white haggered middle class woman head of a school on the telly stating we will have Chicken so we are inclusive.

All the Muslims I know luv Turkey, they comment it is bland but bit of butter and curry brings it out a bit.

It's the usual b.s. again.

I have never used a SubWay, but will not in the future, if there is one open.

Also to note a lot of Islamic owned Pizza and fast food restaurants were fined heavily by trading standards for advertising their products contained pork,however they were substituting the pork with Turkey.

This is probably a poorly written publicity stunt, by SubWay, probably because they have falling figures.

Muslims makes up 4.8% of the population of the U.K. I would think that like Jews, they prefer their own shops, bagels, deli's,Kosher/Halal restaurants as examples.

So how Subway can change a menu to panda to 4.8% of the population is beyond belief.

SubWay are going to make the far right and that horrid party UKIP even more popular now.

Be like the rise of Hitler in 1936.

I hope not.