64 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 01 May 2014 - 16:18

Phil Spencer on Xbox One at E3: "It's only going to get better"
Head of Xbox on ID@Xbox, E3, new IP and beyond

Posted on Thursday 1-May-2014 9:59 AM BST   By Aoife Wilson, Staff Writer for OXM

Speaking to CNN's Fortune, Head of Xbox Phil Spencer dropped further hints on the big plans Microsoft has for this year's E3, and pledged his ongoing support for all Xbox exclusive games, from the indie titles coming out of the ID@Xbox program to the blockbuster behemoths like Titanfall.

"My hope is that Titanfall has affirmed one of the most fundamental principles of game development I believe in: A great game can come in all forms, shapes, and sizes," he said. "There's no set formula or checklist you need to hit. When you assemble a team with a passionate vision and arm them with the platform and tools they need, they can do amazing things. Titanfall's early success has proven that, and I think that's very inspiring.

image_39141_460.jpg

"This E3 is important for us to show gamers our future plans for exclusives and third-party support," Spencer continued. "Right now I think we have a strong lineup of in-development exclusives, including games like Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark, Quantum Break, and Halo, in addition to some exciting titles you will hear more about at E3. It's going to be great at E3 to be able to share the games coming exclusively to Xbox One, and it's only going to get better."

When asked what role he thought indie games played in the current games market, Spencer replied: "I love all kinds of games -- independent games, blockbuster franchises, new IP -- a good game is a good game, and we want as many as possible on our platforms. Independent developers are a vital part of that equation, and their games can range from niche fan bases to AAA titles on par with blockbuster first-party games.

"Independent creators are in a unique situation where they're able to really experiment and map to their own priorities and timelines. In a way, they challenge the rest of the industry to stay on their toes and continue to think outside of the box in creative and compelling ways. As a program, ID@Xbox was designed with these developers in mind, and I personally can't wait to see what's to come." We can't either Phil - here's hoping this E3 is a big one.

http://www.totalxbox...-to-get-better/

#2 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 01 May 2014 - 16:45

This was posted on twitter not that long ago.

#3 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 May 2014 - 17:20

If they can deliver, it should be a pretty excellent E3.

Then again, just about anything would be excellent compared to how last year went :p

#4 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 May 2014 - 17:23

Phils been hinting at a exclusives for E3, the only question is how many of them besides the ones we already know about.    I also expect to hear about some Gold related features and or policy changes, maybe a price cut to.

#5 DaddyRazzy

DaddyRazzy

Neowinian

• Phone: IOS 7.0.6 Jailbroken

Posted 01 May 2014 - 17:24

If they can deliver, it should be a pretty excellent E3.

Then again, just about anything would be excellent compared to how last year went :p

didn't it go well?

#6 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 01 May 2014 - 17:33

Phils been hinting at a exclusives for E3, the only question is how many of them besides the ones we already know about.    I also expect to hear about some Gold related features and or policy changes, maybe a price cut to.

That's the biggest thing i want to hear from them.

#7 OP Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 01 May 2014 - 17:39

didn't it go well?

The conference was pretty good until the price announcement.

It was what happened before E3 and the nonsense behind the scenes that hurt them though.

#8 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 May 2014 - 17:45

The conference was pretty good until the price announcement.

It was what happened before E3 and the nonsense behind the scenes that hurt them though.

Right, I suppose all that stuff happened before E3 technically...kinda overshadowed it.

#9 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:23

I love watching everyone at E3, one of my favourite times of the year, but the hype that goes into is crazy. More so from fans online lol.

This year I'm going to try my best to avoid rumours, leaks and general hype and just watch the conferences as they come. It is a shame a lot of stuff does leak as well. MS have been shafted quite a bit by E3 leaks in the past.

#10 Lenny Bruce

Lenny Bruce

Catch-22 Fanboy

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:29

I definitely want to see what MS has in store after last E3. I'm just going to act like that didn't happen.

#11 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 May 2014 - 15:41

Hype E3 this much and you have to kill it. Don't let me down Spencer.

#12 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 02 May 2014 - 15:49

Microsoft can have a good E3 and it would still kinda look bad (They look lifeless on stage).  They just suck at presentations like this.  They look so soul'less up there.

They need someone with a good speaking voice, and a face that people don't want to punch.  A face that makes you bring it warm fresh muffins...

That's why Ubisoft hired out Aisha Tyler.  Because they sucked as presenters.

Microsoft has to stay away from the "This is too scripted" and have some fun up there.  These are video games they are showing.

Not the latest cure for a deadly disease. 

#13 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 May 2014 - 15:49

Yep, right now there is just too much talk. I want more  AAA and indie games and I want them soon because I'm getting quite bored quite quickly of my XB :(

#14 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 May 2014 - 00:37

Are they really hyping?  There's no numbers as of yet, last year we heard about 15 exclusives or w/e the number was but so far right now we just have them saying that they're once again going to talk about exclusive games.    

#15 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 03 May 2014 - 00:48

Microsoft can have a good E3 and it would still kinda look bad (They look lifeless on stage).  They just suck at presentations like this.  They look so soul'less up there.

Steve Ballmer was fresh and full of life.

But his water cooling system tends to malfunction.