Phil Spencer on Xbox One at E3: "It's only going to get better"

It is still covered under warranty so your still covered.

-- On topic.

Hopefully E3 event is full of new game reveals, I also had a little 'lol when I saw the Microsoft twitter post that said 'We're bringing more than hype' (lol, that is good to know)

Technically yes, and this is on topic. While i love X1 and generally use it more than the PS4 or my PC these days thanks to Titanfall and Forza, i bought her in the US but do not live in the US. My family does. I live on an island in the Pacific, where only 360 is currently available. So as George said, wider global deployment is a must for E3. I'd put that as a priority over announcing new Halos and Gears.

There wasn't much wrong with last years E3 in my mind unless you want to nitpick and call out the price as an issue.  As long as this one is all about games, which it sounds like it will be, and a good number of exclusives/new stuff then there's nothing to worry about.

The price of a console is probably one of the most important things, to call it nitpicking is a strange way to sum up the main way consumers have to "trade" to get the console.

Was the PS3 price of $499 nitpicking?

• Like 1

The price of a console is probably one of the most important things, to call it nitpicking is a strange way to sum up the main way consumers have to "trade" to get the console.

Was the PS3 price of $499 nitpicking?

You mean $599, and no, not with that price and 8 years ago.

• Like 3

You mean $599, and no, not with that price and 8 years ago.

Nope, the PS3 launched with the 20GB model at $499. The 60GB model was $599.

The world is actually in more of a recession now than it was 8 years ago.

$500 in 2006 and $500 in 2013 are not the same amounts.

• Like 2

We can forget about justifying numbers and going into detail about recessions and world economies. Price is not a nitpick issue no matter how you slice it.

I like how you're trying to justify it now, 20GB model, 8 years ago for $499, still not the same.  Everyone back then was going on about the $599 price at their E3, and yeah, let's bring econ into it, because inflation stopped once the recession hit.  We're also talking about $499 back then for 20GB system and one controller, compared to $499 now with a 500GB system, controller and the Kinect, nice comparison there huh? 

• Like 3

There wasn't much wrong with last years E3 in my mind unless you want to nitpick and call out the price as an issue.  As long as this one is all about games, which it sounds like it will be, and a good number of exclusives/new stuff then there's nothing to worry about.

I think you would be one of very few who thought there wasn't much wrong with the 2013 Xbox One reveal at E3.

I like how you're trying to justify it now, 20GB model, 8 years ago for $499, still not the same.  Everyone back then was going on about the $599 price at their E3, and yeah, let's bring econ into it, because inflation stopped once the recession hit.  We're also talking about $499 back then for 20GB system and one controller, compared to $499 now with a 500GB system, controller and the Kinect, nice comparison there huh? 

Audioboxer just posted information, not sure what audioboxer needs to justify with that. I think you are taking this a bit too far. If you think the Xbox One reveal was excellent and that the price was great too, that's great for you.I personally think the reveal was just short of a disaster and even though I'm not too worried about costs it didn't help that the Xbox One was more expensive than the competitor. 

As for the topic at hand (This years E3), hopefully Microsoft showcases quite a few new games and I suspect they'll announce a global price cut as they have already officially reduced the price in some parts of the world already.

Also sales for both the PS4 and Xbox One have stagnated a little bit so hopefully E3 gives them both a little boost.

Erm, technology back then was as advanced as it is now. A hard drive in a console and a blu ray player, the first affordable player in the market for HD viewing.

I'm not justifying anything, just showing you how important price is and that it's ALWAYS a big part of a new console.

Erm, technology back then was as advanced as it is now. A hard drive in a console and a blu ray player, the first affordable player in the market for HD viewing.

I'm not justifying anything, just showing you how important price is and that it's ALWAYS a big part of a new console.

I never said price wasn't important, but to disregard all the other announcements made (new games, exclusives and so on) because the price is more than what you would want hardly makes the whole show they had a failure.    You're still trying to justify it, I don't know how else to put it, even with this replay, saying it's the "first affordable BD player" is how you're now going about explaining their higher price for it back then.  It's not about what the level of the technology was back then, at the time it was close to high-end, sure, but the thing is it was $499 or $599 8 years ago,  Now for the same price you get more, even with economic forces at play like inflation and other costs rising which should increase the prices overall. 

• Like 1

I never said price wasn't important, but to disregard all the other announcements made (new games, exclusives and so on) because the price is more than what you would want hardly makes the whole show they had a failure.    You're still trying to justify it, I don't know how else to put it, even with this replay, saying it's the "first affordable BD player" is how you're now going about explaining their higher price for it back then.  It's not about what the level of the technology was back then, at the time it was close to high-end, sure, but the thing is it was $499 or $599 8 years ago,  Now for the same price you get more, even with economic forces at play like inflation and other costs rising which should increase the prices overall. 

That was because you brought the comparison argument into things. Look at the last sentence you said. My point is whenever a new console is released it always has "bleeding edge" components for it's time.

I think you would be one of very few who thought there wasn't much wrong with the 2013 Xbox One reveal at E3.

Audioboxer just posted information, not sure what audioboxer needs to justify with that. I think you are taking this a bit too far. If you think the Xbox One reveal was excellent and that the price was great too, that's great for you.I personally think the reveal was just short of a disaster and even though I'm not too worried about costs it didn't help that the Xbox One was more expensive than the competitor. 

As for the topic at hand (This years E3), hopefully Microsoft showcases quite a few new games and I suspect they'll announce a global price cut as they have already officially reduced the price in some parts of the world already.

Also sales for both the PS4 and Xbox One have stagnated a little bit so hopefully E3 gives them both a little boost.

All they did at E3 was show off games, what you would expect at E3, some 15 or so exclusives and so on, the fact you think that was close to a "disaster" seems to say to me you had your hopes set to high or something.  Going by that then everyone else was poor to because they didn't show anything exciting either, heck the game everyone was talking about at E3 last year was Watch Dogs.   Maybe you need to set more realistic expectations going into E3?

That was because you brought the comparison argument into things. Look at the last sentence you said. My point is whenever a new console is released it always has "bleeding edge" components for it's time.

And even before that you were doing it with bringing the state of the economy into it back then, with calling it better.  Which lead to my comparing of the fact you get more for the same price now, not just the console and the controller but also the Kinect which, some at least, see as adding value to the whole package. 

We can do this back and forth dance all day if you want, but frankly you didn't have to bring Sony into this whole argument did you?  But whatever, what's done is done.

• Like 2

Both of you kids go to your room and think about what you've done. 

Annnd bringing this back on topic, long as M$ bring out the big guns this year for E3, it shouldn't be as bad it was last year. Infact, it would be pretty hard to beat that. So with that in mind, I expect M$ to actually have a good year this year for the XB1. With good games and exclusives, they should give Sony and the Playstation quite a run for their money. Personally I hate the console war, and hope that both companies do well, at the end of the day, its for us gamers. 

"For the modest price of 599 US dollars" hahahaha classic. PS3 was overpriced for her time, but why are we talking about this? X1 wasn't grossly overpriced at launch, in line with previous generations, but slightly hard for many to accept because they know the extra $100 are from Kinect, a great device that many don't want or need - and which in my case just stopped working outright as i was getting to really like it :D

Also PS4 surprised most by being just $400. Remember a C64 back in 1982 was like $600, but salaries were much lower. Technology has gotten cheaper, there's no two ways about it. I don't know why people resent consoles for being in the $400-$500 range when they have no problem paying that and more yearly for smartphones/tablets.

At any rate, Phil should announce a Kinect-free X1 for $400. Why not? We don't need to repeat the multi-SKU madness of the previous generation, but a couple options per console are not a bad idea.

I'd like to ask this as a general question since many have commented on it here:

What was so bad about MS' E3 presentation?

So many here think it was bad, but that makes me think they are confusing that with the previous TV event, the drm stuff leading up to E3, or the fun Sony had with MS during their own event later.

I remember watching the event thinking it was good for a couple big reasons:

1. Complete focus on games (compare that to Sony's)

2. They did not devote any time to Kinect demos

After all of the talk about MS not caring about games, I thought it was refreshing to see them just focus on that.

I don't think there was much wrong with their E3 event, but I do think events surrounding E3 overshadowed it.

I think you would be one of very few who thought there wasn't much wrong with the 2013 Xbox One reveal at E3.. 

Again, I think the E3 event was fine if you took it on its own, but the surrounding 'bad' was just too much.

I agree with you that this E3 will be a repeat of last year : all about games

I also think a price drop is very possible.

Didn't find their E3 showcase bad at all, and put their lack of commitment to global deployment ahead of DRM/connectivity requirements. Why worry about DRM when the console maker doesn't even want to sell it to me if i don't stay in the US? To their credit they have largely reversed this as well, becoming the first console maker in history to actually encourage imports, offer limited warranty support for importers, and acknowledge that the limited deployment was reluctantly implemented. While i still think they made many mistakes, credit where credit's due.

To your question, didn't think the E3 event was that bad, it was better than the reveal event. Maybe a lot of people were just annoyed by Don's perennial toothy grin.

1. Xbox reveal wasn't at E3

2. Care to elaborate what was wrong with their E3 presentation besides the price announcement?

Their problem was Sony was always one step ahead. Better GPU, dumping camera to lower price etc.

• Like 3

Their initial announcement was what everyone had a problem with, E3 wasn't that bad. Really the only thing they messed up at E3 was the brief view of their online check-in, which Sony absolutely embarrassed them with.
The rest of E3 was fine, I mean they focused on games and great looking exclusive games too, but the internet can never be pleased with Microsoft and will forever look to the negatives.

• Like 2

1. Xbox reveal wasn't at E3

2. Care to elaborate what was wrong with their E3 presentation besides the price announcement?

Their problem was Sony was always one step ahead. Better GPU, dumping camera to lower price etc.

So this is purely my opinion and most dudebros don't watch / pick up on most of it in the first place. I've posted some of this in an earlier post but will expand a little:

1: Routine / format. Every one of the platform holders falls into this trap in one way or another, but none are on the same level as MS and their Xbox briefings. The show hasn't changed in 5 years. This comes back to them hugging their 4 IPs like an over protective mother, but swap Halo ODST, for Reach for Halo 4 and whatever Halo they show this year, you get the idea. Doesn't stop there though. You can bet EA will give a presentation bed time story with NFL/Fifa. A few montages here, close with CoD. It needs a huge shake up and they need new IP on stage like they used to do. Want to show your support to indies and squash any doubters? Put them on stage and showcase their demos. Don't talk about Minecraft for the 4th year. It's got to the point I don't even need to watch the stream. Just read Twitter and listen to the audio, I can literally visualize everything they're doing.

2: Besides the price announcement, the show was actually smooth sailing. They didn't talk about the DRM which was a huge mistake IMO. If ever there was a time to explain something properly it was on stage at E3 infront of the world's media. But damage control was already in full swing. I know their hesitation would be to even mutter the word DRM because it would provoke hissing and rotten veg, but dress it up however you like, just get the details out there. People complain that it would take too much time up, but considering the importance of the subject and the way they chose to handle it instead, yeah, it's not a bad idea. Devote an extra 10 minutes at least to your runtime if you're not going to do a 2hr show like Sony.

3: The crisis that was going on behind the scenes, and by behind the scenes, I mean for us not attending the show. Everyone in LA saw it happen. People were so infuriated with MS last year they were vandalising the Xbox ads around the convention centre. Eventually PR were removing them and guarding other locations. MS were so annoyed people called it Xbone instead of whatever name they thought they would. Major Nelson even tweeted about it. The cracks showed a few times online thanks to Major too, the infamous Angry Joe interview and mic grab. No, just no. Do not put an ex-radio DJ in the position of answering engineer topics.

I could go on, but that's the jist of it. Like I say, Dudebro doesn't see much of it (if any), your average online viewer doesn't either. The hardcore do and it's circulated online and paints a bad picture. Top that off with the disaster reveal and it just makes it 10x worse. Sure, they didn't talk about Kinect/TV, but considering how much they harped on about both previously I'd be surprised if they had anything left to say anyway.

Like I say, all the platform holders have their quirks/issues, not picking on MS, but you did ask ;) No idea what GotBored's complaints are, but from a veteran Xbox fan, that would be my advice on what to change.

As for the Sony being 1 step ahead comment, they obviously made the price change / camera sold separately after the X1 Reveal or X1 E3 briefing. Same goes for the game sharing video. Shu explained the run up to recording in a recent interview with Mark Cerny. About the only thing they were 1 step ahead on was the console specs (RAM and GPU) which was a closely timed gamble more than anything.

reddit/GAF are going crazy with these :laugh:

DTfkJoX.jpg

So this is purely my opinion and most dudebros don't watch / pick up on most of it in the first place. I've posted some of this in an earlier post but will expand a little:

1: Routine / format. Every one of the platform holders falls into this trap in one way or another, but none are on the same level as MS and their Xbox briefings. The show hasn't changed in 5 years. This comes back to them hugging their 4 IPs like an over protective mother, but swap Halo ODST, for Reach for Halo 4 and whatever Halo they show this year, you get the idea. Doesn't stop there though. You can bet EA will give a presentation bed time story with NFL/Fifa. A few montages here, close with CoD. It needs a huge shake up and they need new IP on stage like they used to do. Want to show your support to indies and squash any doubters? Put them on stage and showcase their demos. Don't talk about Minecraft for the 4th year. It's got to the point I don't even need to watch the stream. Just read Twitter and listen to the audio, I can literally visualize everything they're doing.

2: Besides the price announcement, the show was actually smooth sailing. They didn't talk about the DRM which was a huge mistake IMO. If ever there was a time to explain something properly it was on stage at E3 infront of the world's media. But damage control was already in full swing. I know their hesitation would be to even mutter the word DRM because it would provoke hissing and rotten veg, but dress it up however you like, just get the details out there. People complain that it would take too much time up, but considering the importance of the subject and the way they chose to handle it instead, yeah, it's not a bad idea. Devote an extra 10 minutes at least to your runtime if you're not going to do a 2hr show like Sony.

3: The crisis that was going on behind the scenes, and by behind the scenes, I mean for us not attending the show. Everyone in LA saw it happen. People were so infuriated with MS last year they were vandalising the Xbox ads around the convention centre. Eventually PR were removing them and guarding other locations. MS were so annoyed people called it Xbone instead of whatever name they thought they would. Major Nelson even tweeted about it. The cracks showed a few times online thanks to Major too, the infamous Angry Joe interview and mic grab. No, just no. Do not put an ex-radio DJ in the position of answering engineer topics.

I could go on, but that's the jist of it. Like I say, Dudebro doesn't see much of it (if any), your average online viewer doesn't either. The hardcore do and it's circulated online and paints a bad picture. Top that off with the disaster reveal and it just makes it 10x worse. Sure, they didn't talk about Kinect/TV, but considering how much they harped on about both previously I'd be surprised if they had anything left to say anyway.

Like I say, all the platform holders have their quirks/issues, not picking on MS, but you did ask ;) No idea what GotBored's complaints are, but from a veteran Xbox fan, that would be my advice on what to change.

As for the Sony being 1 step ahead comment, they obviously made the price change / camera sold separately after the X1 Reveal or X1 E3 briefing. Same goes for the game sharing video. Shu explained the run up to recording in a recent interview with Mark Cerny. About the only thing they were 1 step ahead on was the console specs (RAM and GPU) which was a closely timed gamble more than anything.

Except for may be #1, rest of your post is irrelevant to "why their E3 conference was a disaster". You can argue with their format etc. but I think it rocked from purely gaming angle..

• Like 4

Will be sure to watch the presentation on my X1 if possible heh heh, and funny poster!

EDIT: who's blood is that though on Phil's hands? Live Gold subs? :devil: Maybe that poster isn't as funny as i first thought...

Well its clear here that most people just have little interest in MS' E3 event. I predict similar statements after this E3.

MS will still focus on games, still not mention TV or Kinect, may be even announce a price drop, but it will be the same reaction.

Sony won in such a huge way last E3 that it has literally carried them all the way to this E3, still overshadowing anything MS does. MS can try to say sorry, but that just doesn't work. I felt that Sony's E3 event was actually a little below MS' for anyone looking at it from a gaming focus perspective. But if you add in the huge PR points that Sony scored because of MS' mistakes, it turns that into a win for Sony that propelled them into the top spot among most people.

1: Routine / format. Every one of the platform holders falls into this trap in one way or another, but none are on the same level as MS and their Xbox briefings. The show hasn't changed in 5 years.

Your right about that, MS and Sony don't deviate much from what they do year to year.

Although some slight changes have occurred with MS trying to focus more on games and Sony still sharing the E3 event with games, entertainment, and of course their additional platform (Vita). Sony changed how they reacted to the competition though and pulled off a pr coup last year.

Well its clear here that most people just have little interest in MS' E3 event. I predict similar statements after this E3.

MS will still focus on games, still not mention TV or Kinect, may be even announce a price drop, but it will be the same reaction.

Sony won in such a huge way last E3 that it has literally carried them all the way to this E3, still overshadowing anything MS does. MS can try to say sorry, but that just doesn't work. I felt that Sony's E3 event was actually a little below MS' for anyone looking at it from a gaming focus perspective. But if you add in the huge PR points that Sony scored because of MS' mistakes, it turns that into a win for Sony that propelled them into the top spot among most people.

Lots of interest in the event right here and will be watching it live as mentioned before, if i can. Don't be so gloomy, there's lots of MS love, it's just tough love is all. Well, not from me, it's all dewey-eyed on my part. I'm still clutching my credit card waiting for Watch Dogs to go on pre-order at the X1 game store, alas MS doesn't do digital pre-orders, while Sony does! :no: