Phil Spencer on Xbox One at E3: "It's only going to get better"

Lots of interest in the event right here and will be watching it live as mentioned before, if i can. Don't be so gloomy, there's lots of MS love, it's just tough love is all. Well, not from me, it's all dewey-eyed on my part. I'm still clutching my credit card waiting for Watch Dogs to go on pre-order at the X1 game store, alas MS doesn't do digital pre-orders, while Sony does! :no:

:laugh:

Not gloomy, just reality. Taking a look at the news for the past several weeks around the net, its a clear picture. Heck, just compare the two forums on this site.

When there is less bad and more good to talk about, then things will look better. That just isn't the way of things right now. It doesn't mean it will always be like this.

:laugh:

Not gloomy, just reality. Taking a look at the news for the past several weeks around the net, its a clear picture. Heck, just compare the two forums on this site.

When there is less bad and more good to talk about, then things will look better. That just isn't the way of things right now. It doesn't mean it will always be like this.

It will change, perceptions shift. We went from Riiidge Racer in 2006 to can do no wrong this year for Sony, so MS can do the same. Anyway, it will be fine, anyone who thinks there's no games or whatever is simply spoiled and mean - there's so much to choose from my anxieties come out just thinking about it! :s

Microsoft have the right guy in charge of Xbox now so i'm confident they'll have as good an E3 as they could have.

Don Mattrick was the wrong person to head the division before and unfortunately they still have a lot of his mess to deal with.  If Phil is still in charge by the next gen I am sure it will be a much more even race next time around.

• Like 3

Except for may be #1, rest of your post is irrelevant to "why their E3 conference was a disaster". You can argue with their format etc. but I think it rocked from purely gaming angle..

Not addressing the elephant in the room is "irrelevant"?  :huh:  Please explain how the PR disaster that started at the reveal and continued throughout E3 and after is better?

Sony owned up to the PSN hack on stage and compensated gamers (even though they'd addressed it formally/publicly the previous month in Japan). It did a lot of good for them and if MS had swallowed their pride and done the same we might have the original DRM X1 today if they'd bothered to explain it properly. Instead, they avoided it and killed it weeks later which led to more bad PR.

I've already said I think the briefing was pretty smooth sailing twice now, it was a good show (putting aside personal taste in games). But you can't ignore people wanted to hear about it. #3 on my list may be irrelevant to the briefing, but I'm not being pedantic and summing up a week long event into 1hr 30 either. Angry Joe's video circulated just as much/more as the trailers for games shown on stage (now has over 1 million views on YT alone, vs Sunset Overdrive teaser with 500k).

Your right about that, MS and Sony don't deviate much from what they do year to year.

Although some slight changes have occurred with MS trying to focus more on games and Sony still sharing the E3 event with games, entertainment, and of course their additional platform (Vita). Sony changed how they reacted to the competition though and pulled off a pr coup last year.

Sony are pretty terrible at showcasing the PSP and Vita at E3, it barely gets a mention. Besides the debut year it was announced it hasn't had much news to speak of since. Rumour is that they'll finally announce a bundle this year but what people want is AAA Vita games to be shown. Their entertainment section is also pretty brief, a slideshow at best to tell you who they're working with. They need to talk about updates to the OS a lot more in future IMO.

Sony are pretty terrible at showcasing the PSP and Vita at E3, it barely gets a mention. Besides the debut year it was announced it hasn't had much news to speak of since. Rumour is that they'll finally announce a bundle this year but what people want is AAA Vita games to be shown. Their entertainment section is also pretty brief, a slideshow at best to tell you who they're working with. They need to talk about updates to the OS a lot more in future IMO.

Sony spent a fair amount of time on entertainment last E3, so its not impossible to think that they will have some time devoted to it this year too. Don't forget that they have been working on that TV service for a while now.

Sony is more than gaming after all and the ps4 will be used for more than that.

I do wonder how much time will be devoted to the ps3. Its still selling well, so I assume at least some time will be there, but could it really just amount to a brief video?

As far as talking about OS updates, that would be great. I would love to see that too, but then you and I are more interested in that side of things then the average user. I kind of doubt Sony will focus much on that beyond mentioning major things like Playstation Now or maybe new share features.

Well after today's video, I think it's 100% accurate to assume that Sunset Overdrive will be getting a decent chunk of time at E3 and a release date for this year.

• Like 2

Microsoft have the right guy in charge of Xbox now so i'm confident they'll have as good an E3 as they could have.

Don Mattrick was the wrong person to head the division before and unfortunately they still have a lot of his mess to deal with.  If Phil is still in charge by the next gen I am sure it will be a much more even race next time around.

Don wasn't the wrong guy, he's actually not that bad and let's not forget he did make Test Drive as a youth, contributing much to gaming as we know it. I think he simply suffered from Kutaragi Syndrome, remember he joined Xbox in 2006-2007 and then came the ridiculous success of subsequent years. This must have gone to his head, resulting in the famed "nuclear submarine" and "i have a product like that for you" comments. I don't begrudge the man, he did good by Xbox users for a significant chunk of time, i am just guessing he couldn't handle his vision for X1 being rejected so he walked/was prompted to walk, just like Kutaragi was encouraged to retire gracefully.

Well after today's video, I think it's 100% accurate to assume that Sunset Overdrive will be getting a decent chunk of time at E3 and a release date for this year.

I don't generally like the zombie-shooter genre but man this looks...amazing. :)

E3 is going to be interesting for Microsoft.

PoshGlossyAuk.gif

• Like 3

Don wasn't the wrong guy, he's actually not that bad and let's not forget he did make Test Drive as a youth, contributing much to gaming as we know it. I think he simply suffered from Kutaragi Syndrome, remember he joined Xbox in 2006-2007 and then came the ridiculous success of subsequent years. This must have gone to his head, resulting in the famed "nuclear submarine" and "i have a product like that for you" comments. I don't begrudge the man, he did good by Xbox users for a significant chunk of time, i am just guessing he couldn't handle his vision for X1 being rejected so he walked/was prompted to walk, just like Kutaragi was encouraged to retire gracefully.

Yeah some good points, but in his latter time there he was clearly out of touch with what people actually want.  He was responsible for the One being what it was and what it is now only happened against his judgement which is now kind of a hobbled halfway house.

I think that for the next gen the sky is the limit if they have someone at the helm in tune with what gamers want out of a device, can spend all that time developing and building a machine around that vision and then deliver on it without having to waste months and months ripping stuff out and delivering half of it to market.

3D platformer like Infamous and Prototype. Actually looks pretty good!

Yeah some good points, but in his latter time there he was clearly out of touch with what people actually want.  He was responsible for the One being what it was and what it is now only happened against his judgement which is now kind of a hobbled halfway house.

I think that for the next gen the sky is the limit if they have someone at the helm in tune with what gamers want out of a device, can spend all that time developing and building a machine around that vision and then deliver on it without having to waste months and months ripping stuff out and delivering half of it to market.

There was likely a lot of in-fighting going on, you could tell they were speaking with multiple voices. And you're right, in many ways it hampered the launch and drove some people away. The end result as it stands now is good, but it will take time to recover. It's a shame Don couldn't stay, but as you say his vision was not in tune with what most gamers want - not yet anyway. Of course this is all conjecture, but it's quite likely.

Whoa, now that is looking totally awesome. I wasn't sure what to expect, and this came out of left field for me. Yet another great Xbox One exclusive coming our way.

• Like 1