Photo

Is It Worth Switching to Windows Phone 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Tobias Brown

Tobias Brown

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:03

Hi fellow neowin members,

So im wondering if switching to Windows Phone 8.1 is worth voiding a warranty?

Has anybody installed it - regardless of the consequences?

Do you enjoy it SO much more than WP8 that its worth not having protection in case of an accident etc./

Thanks for any responses,

Tobias

#2 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:22

It is worth it. No problems, but if your warranty covers hardware damage as well, and you're afraid that you'll drop your phone, then I would wait.

#3 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:52

I upgraded it to the developer preview and is worth it. Great new features and very usable. If you are going to go for it, I recommend after the upgrade to do a hard reset to reinstall a clean WP 8.1, it will improve your experience and bugs free. It also does not affect the warranty because your phone will eventually upgrade to the final version or RTM in couple months.

#4 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:07

Myself, on my non-activated pay as you go At&T 520, yes.

So far, worked perfectly. I even was able to revert to Windows 8.0 using the Nokia recovery tool (tried it just to see).

That being said, I can only speak for my specific Nokia model.

#5 Stokkolm

Stokkolm

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 1520

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:13

I've had some minor bugs with it, but overall I would say it has definitely been worth it.

#6 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:16

Another vote for worth it.

Edit:  I'm on a Lumia 920 with AT&T.  No problems.

#7 Mugwump00

Mugwump00

Neowinian

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:20

I had quite a major issue - no mobile data! (or, it would fail to reconnect mobile data after the first screen-off sleep).  I've an Ativ S, but I've read of other devices with the same issue.

Found (from a forum) the solution was to disallow all background tasks and re-enable them one by one.  All sweet now!

#8 Stokkolm

Stokkolm

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 1520

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:25

I had quite a major issue - no mobile data! (or, it would fail to reconnect mobile data after the first screen-off sleep).  I've an Ativ S, but I've read of other devices with the same issue.

Found (from a forum) the solution was to disallow all background tasks and re-enable them one by one.  All sweet now!

I have heard the ATIV phones have had some pretty major problems with the update. 

http://www.wpcentral...samsung-ativ-se

#9 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:49

Personally its worth it, as far as the warranty thing goes. They only warn of it because each carrier / manufacture is different. However, if you have a Lumia phone no matter the carrier it will not void your warranty.

#10 Farchord

Farchord

Life is but a sum of your achievements

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:00

I'm aiming to switch from Android to WP8 myself real soon. Gonna switch from the galaxy s4 to the lumia 1520 most likely.

#11 Studio384

Studio384

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8.1 Update

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:13

It's worth it, no major bugs have been found yet that could break your phone or something. This or next month, a major bugfix update is expected to fix most of the discovered issues.

#12 protocol7

protocol7

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:19

I was a bit concerned too but went through with it on my 520. Apart from the music playback problem I have (noise at the end of tracks) everything else is great.

#13 AsherGZ

AsherGZ

【=◈︿◈=】

• Phone: Lumia 820, 520

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:31

I'm having problems with IE. So much so that I've considered rolling back to 8 now that the 8.1 excitement has worn off, because seriously a lot of stuff may be cool in 8.1, like Cortana or action center or swipe keyboard, they hardly carry any practical value for an average user. I was really looking forward to the improvements in IE, but so far my experience with it has been frustating to say the least. I spend most of my time on the browser on my phone, and the browser in 8 may have sucked and was just limited to 6 tabs, but at least it worked. In 8.1, there's no sense to the tab arrangement, they removed the number of tabs open from its button and if you switch to another tab and come back again, the whole page loads all over again. And not even the refreshed version, but the cached one. The worst thing however is the new video player. I stream a lot of stuff, or used to in 8 from the comfort of my bed late at nights, but I haven't been unable to stream a single video with this new player. "Decode error" every ******* time if you even so much as pause the video, forget about scrubbing. Speaking of which, I miss the old back forward buttons. I find the scrub bar horrible to use on a touch phone with fat fingers. So that's my opinion. If I somehow manage to roll back to 8, I'm sure there are some things from 8.1 I'll miss, but I won't regret it. Hope they fix the mess that is IE right now by time the final version rolls out with Cyan.

#14 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:44

I'm having problems with IE. So much so that I've considered rolling back to 8 now that the 8.1 excitement has worn off, because seriously a lot of stuff may be cool in 8.1, like Cortana or action center or swipe keyboard, they hardly carry any practical value for an average user. I was really looking forward to the improvements in IE, but so far my experience with it has been frustating to say the least. I spend most of my time on the browser on my phone, and the browser in 8 may have sucked and was just limited to 6 tabs, but at least it worked. In 8.1, there's no sense to the tab arrangement, they removed the number of tabs open from its button and if you switch to another tab and come back again, the whole page loads all over again. And not even the refreshed version, but the cached one. The worst thing however is the new video player. I stream a lot of stuff, or used to in 8 from the comfort of my bed late at nights, but I haven't been unable to stream a single video with this new player. "Decode error" every ******* time if you even so much as pause the video, forget about scrubbing. Speaking of which, I miss the old back forward buttons. I find the scrub bar horrible to use on a touch phone with fat fingers. So that's my opinion. If I somehow manage to roll back to 8, I'm sure there are some things from 8.1 I'll miss, but I won't regret it. Hope they fix the mess that is IE right now by time the final version rolls out with Cyan.

That's odd.  I have had the polar opposite experience with the new IE.  I'll admit I don't use tabs that much but some of the high points for me are the swipe for back and forwards and the reading view.  There are still webpages that render a full sites and used to be very hard to read on 8.  The last high point is the streaming.  They have improved it considerably so it can play pretty much anything that iOS plays, like an embedded Vimeo video for example.  Never seen the decode error.

#15 OP Tobias Brown

Tobias Brown

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:44

Hi everyone,

thanks for the really helpful responses (really!)

So i am tempted with the upgrade - however there are a few other factors to include (for me) 

Im running a HTC 8X - which i don't believe has any rollback features should i wish to revert back to Windows Phone 8.

My warranty does cover hardware - and they will not fix if its "voided".

I assume i would have to find an independent fixture,

Has anybody tried with HTC models?

thanks a lot,

Tobias