• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 D!ABOL!C

D!ABOL!C

Neowinian Senior

• 1,972 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (M8) Android 4.4.2

Posted 02 May 2014 - 14:59

I agree with all of these, but #3 pisses me off so bad. Almost everyday, there is someone who waits until the very last second to get in to the turn lane when it is unoccupied AND to make matters worse, they don't even completely get in the turn lane! The tail end of the car is still outside of the turn lane! Someone must have taught them this, and if they did they need to be slapped in the face!

#17 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 1,017 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 15:35

11. People that come to a complete stop to take a right turn. What. The. F***.

(Obviously when you're driving on the right hand side of the road.)

People not making turns on red when it specifically says they can as long as people aren't walking across. These signs mean the same thing:

r10_15_turning_traffic_must_yield_to_pedNo%20Turn%20on%20Red.gif

12. Pulling out on to on coming traffic and then driving really slowly, I've yet to fathom why people do this and have started beeping them

That is actually illegal, if you enter into traffic you must be able to do so without inhibiting the flow of traffic. My first accident happened because someone did this without looking left before turning out.

What gets me more is people who turn into the wrong lane, sure some people do it so they can make a turn without blocking traffic, but all forms of this wrong. Making a left turn from the left lane, you better end up in the left lane, because I will keep you in it if we are turning onto a three lane road from a double left lane. Same with turning right, go into the right lane, not the center or left lanes.

#18 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,108 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 15:38

My new favorite thing people do is stop for a yield sign in a right turn lane when that lane continues into its own lane after the turn. Traffic from other directions flows into their own lane as well so there are almost zero reasons people should be stopping there, yet they do as if it's a stop sign like the rest of traffic has.

Haha +10, I hate that.  The Moorland South exit from I-94 in Brookfield has that scenario.  There's even a gigantic 10 foot sign that says people should NOT stop, but they still do.  My horn gets a lot of exercise when I take that exit.

#19 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,876 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:17

The UK equivalent of No 7. is hanging out in the middle lane. You'll get people doing 65mph in the middle lane, and you can't (legally) undertake them, so you have to overtake them even when there's nothing in the lane to their left. It's soon to be illegal to hang out in the middle lane http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-22770064

if I'm bored i'll  flash my lights to ask them to kindly move over, it works 10% of the time, the rest they either don't care or don't know whats you want.

a bit like how everybody in east anglia NEVER uses the hazard lights to inform others that traffic has come to a complete stop or if there is an accident in one of the lanes

#20 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,300 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 16:37

The UK equivalent of No 7. is hanging out in the middle lane. You'll get people doing 65mph in the middle lane, and you can't (legally) undertake them, so you have to overtake them even when there's nothing in the lane to their left. It's soon to be illegal to hang out in the middle lane http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-22770064

I do the 'orbit manoeuvre' when that happens and flash my lights at them on the way out. 

#21 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,550 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 16:53

Sounds like the rantings of an aggressive driver rather than that of a PATIENT, defensive driver.  

#22 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,434 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:02

Number 8 all day long.  Oh my god.  When I lived in Washington, Fort Lewis traffic was ridiculous.  People already on the interstate would always stay in the right lane, and people leaving post didn't know how to get up to speed, which meant that I-5 was basically a parking lot while people in the right lane tried to move over at the last second and people coming off post tried to find a spot to merge into.  Normally I say that people on the interstate shouldn't have to move over, the people merging should adjust speed and find a spot, but when there's that many people every day coming out of the same on ramp, you would think the locals would remember and say, "Oh, there's a lot of people getting off work at Fort Lewis, I should move over one lane before I get there so they have somewhere to go."

#23 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,978 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:10

If there is nothing in the lane to their left why does it affect you? You should be in the left lane anyway and will simply drive past them? Obviously they're still ###### though.

Im generally more laid back, the one and only thing that angers me when driving is when people pull out onto the road you're on when you're dangerously close. Had a few encounters when I'm doing 60 on a road, a car is on a T-junction watching me come towards them, and then decides "###### it" and pulls out, making me slam the brakes on. 

I can understand why people don't get up to the speed limit coming onto motorways though, I was taught not to on my lessons, so you save yourself from slamming the brakes on at 70mph because the left lane doesn't have any gaps and people haven't moved over to let you on.

#24 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,439 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:12

People drive with their hazards on ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME in Rochester during the winter. They're usually driving 5 MPH. Jesus, it's insane. If you can't drive in the winter, then you should not be living in upstate NY or DRIVING for that matter. You're more dangerous to other drivers than the friggin snow is!

Here's another one that's not on the list: Lazily making right hand turns. Listen folks, it should not take you 10 seconds to make a right handed turn. Stop doing that!

#25 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,300 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:16

If there is nothing in the lane to their left why does it affect you? You should be in the left lane anyway and will simply drive past them? Obviously they're still ###### though.

Undertaking (passing on the left) is an illegal manoeuvre UNLESS there's a queue of traffic in the right hand lane and the left lane is moving faster. Hence by passing on the left, we would be committing an offence. 

#26 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,978 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:19

Undertaking (passing on the left) is an illegal manoeuvre UNLESS there's a queue of traffic in the right hand lane and the left lane is moving faster. Hence by passing on the left, we would be committing an offence. 

Highway Code states you may keep up with the traffic in your lane, even if the one on the right is moving slower. In the event someone is doing under the speed limit in the middle lane, they are the ones breaking the law. The aforementioned undertaking doesn't apply if you're still sticking to the speed limit or under it.

#27 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,300 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:22

Highway Code states you may keep up with the traffic in your lane, even if the one on the right is moving slower

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

https://www.gov.uk/m...ways-253-to-273

You need to read that paragraph as a whole, my friend.

In congested conditions; (criteria 1)

where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds; (criteria 2)

Traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right; (criteria 3)

In these conditions (the above three criteria are all met), you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right.

That's what I said before, when I said "UNLESS there's a queue of traffic in the right hand lane and the left lane is moving faster."

#28 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,978 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:24

You need to read that paragraph as a whole, my friend.

In congested conditions; (criteria 1)

where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds; (criteria 2)

Traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right; (criteria 3)

In these conditions (the above three criteria are all met), you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right.

That's what I said before, when I said "UNLESS there's a queue of traffic in the right hand lane and the left lane is moving faster."

Ive edited my post since. That undertaking rule applies to using the left lane specifically to overtake somebody in the middle lane. e.g if you were overtaking in the middle lane, and suddenly the traffic in that lane slows down, you drive into the left lane to overtake the now slower traffic.  If you're cruising in the left lane doing 70mph as you should be doing, it isn't undertaking if someone in the middle lane is doing under 70mph. 

#29 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,300 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:28

Highway Code states you may keep up with the traffic in your lane, even if the one on the right is moving slower. In the event someone is doing under the speed limit in the middle lane, they are the ones breaking the law. The aforementioned undertaking doesn't apply if you're still sticking to the speed limit or under it.

Your now edited post ignores something that your earlier post highlighted, in that you should not overtake on the left:

"268 

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake."

When you're travelling in the left hand lane and someone is driving in the middle lane, you should move over to the right hand lane to overtake. In theory if there's only two lanes you shouldn't overtake at all. I'd argue that moving over to the same lane and then honking your horn would be appropriate, because once the person knows you're there they should move over to let you pass. 

The fact that someone is misusing an overtaking lane doesn't mean it's okay to break the law yourself by undertaking. 

#30 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,438 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:30

Most people in the UK don't understand how a motorway works. The left lane is the main lane while the others are for overtaking. It's the way it's ment to be. If you sit in the middle lane you're a complete ####.