10 Things that Make You Look Like a Massive Idiot while Driving

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,822 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 23:18

Passing on the left when other road users expect to be passed on the right is also arguably driving without due care. 

To prove driving without due care, the prosecution have to prove that the standard of driving fell below that of a careful and competent driver. Passing on the left, when motorists expect to be passed on the right as per the highway code, when the option to pass on the right is there, is clearly negligent. If you can pass on the right then do so - there's no excuse for passing on the left if you can pass on the right! Doing so might cause a collision because motorists expect to be passed on the right, not the left. The middle lane hogger might move into the left lane when you approach so that you can then pass in the middle lane. If you're going for an undertake that could cause a collision, and you'd both have some degree of liability for using the road in ways it was not intended.

The highway code isn't law. It's *not* illegal to undertake in the UK, providing you do it safely. Police will most likely pull you if you pull into the inside lane in order to do it, for the reason below.

What other motorists expect you to do makes no difference, since when pulling from the right to left lane you should check blind spots for cars anyway. If you're in the inside lane, with no traffic doing 70mph, whilst somebody is in the middle lane going 50mph, you can continue on the inside lane. That would be a safe undertake.

If, however, you were also in the middle lane, got right behind them, then indicated left to pull over, that would be dangerous, since you would reasonably expect that the driver may pull to the left to let you pass. That situation would be considered driving without due care and thus illegal. Same as weaving in and out of lanes would be considered dangerous.

Ultimately, there is no law against undertaking, and the act of undertaking itself, unless you specifically move over to do so (causing confusion) would not be sufficient evidence to hold a dangerous driving charge. I would like to see the law changed - to either make it legal to pass on either side, or to make it illegal to be undertaken unless you're turning right, since if there's room for you to be undertaken, you're not driving in the correct lane.

#47 perochan

perochan

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 4,576 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 23:36

Older cars or shi**ty car that will not pass smog check and driving behind them smell very bad.

I don't understand why some people tilt their seat very far back and then extent your arm as far as possible so you would look cool. You look like a dumbass.

#48 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,713 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 23 May 2014 - 23:38

I don't like it when people leave their turn signals on and don't actually want to change lanes, or the opposite, they don't use their signals at all and just drift over.

#49 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,322 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 15:59

The highway code isn't law. It's *not* illegal to undertake in the UK, providing you do it safely. Police will most likely pull you if you pull into the inside lane in order to do it, for the reason below.

What other motorists expect you to do makes no difference, since when pulling from the right to left lane you should check blind spots for cars anyway. If you're in the inside lane, with no traffic doing 70mph, whilst somebody is in the middle lane going 50mph, you can continue on the inside lane. That would be a safe undertake.

If, however, you were also in the middle lane, got right behind them, then indicated left to pull over, that would be dangerous, since you would reasonably expect that the driver may pull to the left to let you pass. That situation would be considered driving without due care and thus illegal. Same as weaving in and out of lanes would be considered dangerous.

Ultimately, there is no law against undertaking, and the act of undertaking itself, unless you specifically move over to do so (causing confusion) would not be sufficient evidence to hold a dangerous driving charge. I would like to see the law changed - to either make it legal to pass on either side, or to make it illegal to be undertaken unless you're turning right, since if there's room for you to be undertaken, you're not driving in the correct lane.

Post #36:

They might be looking and see you approach, but not expect you to pass because you're supposed to pass on the right. I.e. they anticipate your moving over into the right hand lane to overtake and they decide to make it easier for you, not realising that you're actually speeding up to pass on the left. 

All I would say is, there's no reason to pass on the left if the right hand lane is available. It could be the single action that decides the outcome of your trial. I know the highway code itself isn't law, but the Road Traffic Act does say it will be taken into consideration as supporting evidence. It therefore seems silly to wilfully ignore it. 

Please note that I think the middle lane hoggers are stupid and a menace; I'm just saying that two wrongs don't make a right! 

#50 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,367 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 16:10

2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 are all very common here. Drives me crazy especially when I'm on the toll road which has a speed limit of 75 instead of the normal 65 and people are going 65 in every lane. Other states I've been in people actually change lanes if they see you going faster than them. Not in Texas. People will go under the speed limit in the left lane which is clearly marked for passing.

#51 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

Long time reader

• 1,495 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 13:14

Whats wrong with 9?

Here, traffic is tight, so ride the ending lane alleviates traffic and prevents the need for a hard stop.

Howbout another one: put your turn signal before turning; does everyone here do that? Or do we turn, then momentarily activate the signal.

#52 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,644 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 June 2014 - 13:59

1. Driving with your hazards on in "inclement weather"
Whether it's lightly snowing or raining, you don't need to put your hazards on, especially if you are going the speed everyone else is going. That's not what they are for, so don't use them unless you have an actual problem. Everyone can see you, and if you're smart, you've turned your lights on (it's the law in VA, at least). That's enough for people to know you're there.

The author must live where it never downpours, ever. This is pretty much the standard here when there's a flash flood or super heavy rain event. There's times when not everyone can see you, sometimes rain here makes visibilities worse than dense fog. Those new cars with LED taillights are great to see when they have their flashers on when things like this happen.

#53 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

• 3,039 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:02

#2 is stupid.  Looking at the four car fender bender yesterday on the way to work, it would have been limited to just two if there was more length between the cars.

#54 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 1,361 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:12

I hate hate hate people who back into parking spaces just to get attention to them or their vehicle.  Dont know if this is an issue elsewhere - but you can see this everywhere around here.

There are reasons for some to back into a parking space - trucks for instance - 1.) Its easier to manuveur into a space with its long wheel base 2.) They have something in the back of their truck that they dont want to give everyone ez access too
Im talking about those who think their car is cool and feel they need attention....there is a certain group of people who are notorious for this... actually - this certain group of people needs attention so bad, that everything they do in life is just to say, "hey look at me !"  You know who you are....and I hate you !

[END OF RANT]

#55 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• 5,968 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:54

Also, note. Please see that I wrote "Inclement weather" not inclement weather. I'm talking about things like light rain and light snow.

I'm confused what difference a pair of double quotes makes to the severity of the weather, it's the same pair of words.

I agree with all of your points though. Most are also a problem here in the UK, though I only ever see people use their hazards when they spot suddenly slowing traffic ahead or an accident.

Another one that gets me though is when in queue of traffic moving slowly, people dropping back a massive distance to the car in front.  Wasting massive amounts of road capacity. Sometimes I feel like putting my foot down, overtaking them, and filling the gap they have left. Grr

#56 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,790 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:56

I hate hate hate people who back into parking spaces just to get attention to them or their vehicle.  Dont know if this is an issue elsewhere - but you can see this everywhere around here.

There are reasons for some to back into a parking space - trucks for instance - 1.) Its easier to manuveur into a space with its long wheel base 2.) They have something in the back of their truck that they dont want to give everyone ez access too
Im talking about those who think their car is cool and feel they need attention....there is a certain group of people who are notorious for this... actually - this certain group of people needs attention so bad, that everything they do in life is just to say, "hey look at me !"  You know who you are....and I hate you !

[END OF RANT]

Actually, my dad always parks backs up to park. I don't think he thinks his car is amazing (because it's not) It's just a convenience thing for him. Makes sense to me to park forward especially when shopping because you can access the boot much more easily!

#57 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• 5,968 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:04

Actually, my dad always parks backs up to park. I don't think he thinks his car is amazing (because it's not) It's just a convenience thing for him. Makes sense to me to park forward especially when shopping because you can access the boot much more easily!

Indeed. I back into parking spaces for one legitimate reason... reversing into a road when the visibility is reduced by the cars either side of you, is dangerous and pulling out forwards is safer. Unless I'm doing lots of shopping of course, then I want my boot accessible to load my bags.

#58 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 1,361 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 17:39

Exactly - you guys have a reason, a logical problem-correcting reason.  Perfectly understandable.  Its those others... :shifty: