10 Things that Make You Look Like a Massive Idiot while Driving

I don't think you understood what I meant, nor what a pun is.

I meant ASS quite literally.

You leave that space because, at least here in AZ, if you get hit and in turn are pushed into the vehicle in front of you, then you are legally at fault as well. I would never ASSume (not referring to Auto Stop/Start) that the person in front of you will creep.

Yeah yeah, I got your pun. I didn't respond to that, well because it was lame :p 

Anyways, usually in multi-car rear end accidents, the car that caused it is usually at fault. Also, leaving a car length in front of you at a traffic light is a little too much

This bugs me. Modern cars have a start/stop option (I call it ASS - Auto Start/Stop), which shuts off the engine to conserve fuel at lights/stops. Anyways, when I pull up to a light, I pull up right behind a car, and ASS kicks in. I absolutely hate when people creep up at lights, and I look like an idiot leaving a gap between my car and the car in front of me.

Another feature cars also have these days is radar/adaptive cruise control, which lets you cruise behind a certain distance behind a car. I would hate if someone merged in front of me and caused my vehicle to rapidly decelerate.

TLDR = people need to change their driving habits, and not be idiots.

I agree this bugs me to no end for the same reason (ASS).

My understanding of why people creep is they don't hold the brake while stopped at lights. So they are doing the natural creep of a gas engine. Which is another dangerous problem for them... As if they happened to be rear ended and aren't holding the brake they run the risk of being thrown into the intersection where they can be T-Boned.

I don't think you understood what I meant, nor what a pun is.

I meant ASS quite literally.

You leave that space because, at least here in AZ, if you get hit and in turn are pushed into the vehicle in front of you, then you are legally at fault as well. I would never ASSume (not referring to Auto Stop/Start) that the person in front of you will creep.

Leaving car length gaps at stop lights is unreasonable. The US has cities larger than 20 people.... Mandating car length gaps at stop lights or in any stopped position would make traffic problems even worse. You are not responsible for rear ending someone in an accident that you didn't cause. That wouldn't make a whole lot of logical sense...

Stupid human motor vehicle operators are a great case for mass transit... :woot:  :laugh:

I'd have to leave the house at midnight to make it to work at 8 on time, not everyone lives in the village of their birth and can take the rolling boxes of disease to work

From an advanced driving point of view the suggestions Ive seen state to leave a minimum of a three feet gap from your driving view point out of the front screen between you and the vehicle in front, then should the vehicle be immobilsed for whatever reason you can still navigate round it without reversing.

Yeah yeah, I got your pun. I didn't respond to that, well because it was lame :p

Anyways, usually in multi-car rear end accidents, the car that caused it is usually at fault. Also, leaving a car length in front of you at a traffic light is a little too much

Puns are supposed to be lame.

What you think usually happens, is not necessarily the case. I've been in many accidents, seen many, know many that have been in them, and that is DEFINITELY how it works here. You can fight it in court, sure. You might even win. There is that added expense and inconvenience that goes along with it, even if you win.

So while you guys think its dumb, maybe think outside the box a bit and realize that the drivers doing it come from a state, county, city, etc. where this is the case. They aren't going to change their driving habits, just for you.

You are not responsible for rear ending someone in an accident that you didn't cause. That wouldn't make a whole lot of logical sense...

I've seen it happen. Since when is the how the law works in the US logical?

I guess you can use this argument in court.  "Judge, it isn't logical!"

https://www.insurancehotline.com/fault-determination-in-common-scenarios/

Site trustworthiness is questionable, but it shows things are not cut and dry like you think they are.

From an advanced driving point of view the suggestions Ive seen state to leave a minimum of a three feet gap from your driving view point out of the front screen between you and the vehicle in front, then should the vehicle be immobilsed for whatever reason you can still navigate round it without reversing.

Witnessing the comments here ,some people don't know what advanced driving is anymore. Three feet is fine, but the reality is, nobody is out there with a tape measure making sure its ONLY three feet they left in between. Hence we have the comments against people leaving more. 

Now when you're driving, you should leave a car's length in between your car/car in front of you. 

Minimal distance recommended (for UK at least) is at least a 2 second gap, (using a roadside marker, or lamp post or sign etc.., when following traffic, if you pass the marker before you finish saying 'Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule', you're too close) (*Also I disagree with this guideline and think it should be increased*)

Puns are supposed to be lame.

What you think usually happens, is not necessarily the case. I've been in many accidents, seen many, know many that have been in them, and that is DEFINITELY how it works here. You can fight it in court, sure. You might even win. There is that added expense and inconvenience that goes along with it, even if you win.

So while you guys think its dumb, maybe think outside the box a bit and realize that the drivers doing it come from a state, county, city, etc. where this is the case. They aren't going to change their driving habits, just for you.

I've seen it happen. Since when is the how the law works in the US logical?

I guess you can use this argument in court.  "Judge, it isn't logical!"

https://www.insurancehotline.com/fault-determination-in-common-scenarios/

Site trustworthiness is questionable, but it shows things are not cut and dry like you think they are.

Witnessing the comments here ,some people don't know what advanced driving is anymore. Three feet is fine, but the reality is, nobody is out there with a tape measure making sure its ONLY three feet they left in between. Hence we have the comments against people leaving more. 

Even your source agrees with what we have been saying...

Common Scenario: Multiple Car Rear-End Collision

An accident in which one car is struck from behind by another as they are all traveling, and that car is pushed into the car in front is a fairly common occurrence, especially in the winter when roads are slick. These accidents can involve three or more cars in a chain reaction. Many drivers believe that if their vehicle was struck, thus causing them to strike another vehicle, that they hold no fault.

Who Is At Fault: In this scenario, the majority of the fault falls on the first driver who started the domino effect of the accident. However, every other driver who struck the car in front of them will also hold some fault in the accident. In a three-car pileup where all three vehicles were in motion at the time of the accident, the driver at the rear may be held 100% at fault by his or her insurance company. In the second collision, the car that struck the lead car may hold 50% of the fault. There are two separate fault determinations made, for the two collisions. It

What is a two second gap for cars that are at a complete stop? We're not talking about cars in motion. Yes when the cars are driving you're supposed to no travel to close, but when the cars are stopped you aren't supposed to stop half a block away... Unless the UK drives very odd I don't think the is an unfamiliar concept there... As you can see by the shot of a stop light in London.

london-traffic.jpg

You might have been, I wasn't.

I was agreeing with Tsuper partially,

And UK Highway code recommends a minimum of half a car length when stopped at lights, the example they give, is, the rear wheels of the car in front should just be visible over the bonnet of your car (not exactly an exact science, but as you should know your car, you should be able to judge a half car length)

I just drive, I don't really give a crap if I inadvertently tick someone else off and I don't let other drivers get me worked up over stupid crap, I just work around them and drive on. 

• Like 2

There are far more idiots who are guilty of the points mentioned here, than speeding. And none of them will ever get a ticket for these.

In fact, most actual good drivers can drive faster than the speed limit very safely, because the speed limits are totally bogus and yet will get ticketed because it's easy to trap them and milk them.

Morons who slow down, leave gaps etc cause far more accidents than speeding.

I just drive, I don't really give a crap if I inadvertently tick someone else off and I don't let other drivers get me worked up over stupid crap, I just work around them and drive on. 

Correct. Life is too short to be worrying about what other people think of my driving. I just stay relaxed and drive in a safe manner in the right lane. If a tailgater approaches, I simply lower my speed 5-10 mph or more until they get the message. And as they pass, I grin from ear to ear and ignore them. Another failed attempt to intimidate me.  :)

Ill leave this here then :woot::laugh:

Wow. That is some serious reckless driving.