Explore the hidden Japanese village where dolls replace the departed

Nestled in the hidden valleys of Shikoku, Japan, is the village of Nagoro. Its remote location has led its residents to leave for big cities in search for work. With not even a local store, there's little reason for immigration, so as residents die there is no one left to fill their void. Nagoro is slowly shrinking.

Eleven years ago, Ayano Tsukimi returned to her home in Nagoro. Confronted with constant departures, she has populated the village with dolls, each representing a former villager. Around 350 of the giant dolls now reside in and around Nagoro, replacing those that died or abandoned the village years ago.

A recent documentary titled The Valley Of Dolls explores Tsukimi's world, highlighting the time and artistry that goes into making the figures, and explaining her motivations. In it we're shown around a local school, once filled with children and teachers, that now houses dozens of dolls, sitting statically, waiting for class to begin.

• be46vrsb_verge_super_wide.jpg
  • ypzgy8ob_verge_super_wide.jpg
  • ninijb4u_verge_super_wide.jpg
  • 1-as1qqi_verge_super_wide.jpg

More pics/video in source...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/2/5674448/nagoro-japanese-doll-village-photos-video

• Like 1

Damn Creepy.   I really hope I dont wake up in a place like that one day...  I would go mental.