zdnet: How to extend XP forever and stay secure

I want to gouge my eyes out and wash them with bleach.

Give it up already. It's NOT a good idea to stick with XP under any circumstances.

Give it up already. It's NOT a good idea to stick with XP under any circumstances.

I don't know, the 1997 screenless laptop I've got running XP and a custom winamp controller seems to say otherwise ;)

Uhh you could've just not bothered?  There will always be people that don't want to change things.

With any luck, now that support is cut many of the app developers will be ignoring it.  Give it another year or two and I expect there won't be anyone left targeting it or its' related ancient techs.

from source:

Is there a catch?

There's no catch, but there is a bit of noteworthy information that you need to know. Each system that uses the 2xLifeCyclePlus shell should still use anti-virus software and it should be set to autoupdate, so that there's never a virus threat to your system.

Therapy-002.jpg

• Like 2

We hang on to things for far to long. I know people have a love for Xp because it just worked, friendly to just about anything thrown at it. Do is about as friendly as it gets.

But I'm waiting for the full blown 64/128bit world, to finally arrive.

Dot has a point to an extent.

Using XP on the internet now isn't a good idea, but if you have an XP station that does a specific task (offline), then why change it?

(Think machine workshops here)

• Like 2

I agree. XP may be reliable, but from this point forward it sure as hell shouldn't be considered secure. 2X might go ahead and replace the shell, but that only remedies a small portion of a much bigger security problem. At the very least people should be looking to upgrade their machines to a newer version of Window (or even Linux if feasible). Sticking with XP on an internet-connected machine is asking for trouble

We hang on to things for far to long. I know people have a love for Xp because it just worked, friendly to just about anything thrown at it. Do is about as friendly as it gets.

But I'm waiting for the full blown 64/128bit world, to finally arrive.

Windows 7 and Windows 8.x just work too.  Better in fact.  They have newer built-in drivers.  So if I install Windows 8 on a relatively new system, it will automatically have the networking drivers ready.  

Also, the new UI enhancements in Vista+ are worth it.  I keep running into XP computers that have issues with the screen not drawing properly due to the way it handles the graphics (moving the window will leave a trail if the program is not responding or something else is going on).

Windows 7 and Windows 8.x just work too.  Better in fact.  They have newer built-in drivers.  So if I install Windows 8 on a relatively new system, it will automatically have the networking drivers ready.  

Also, the new UI enhancements in Vista+ are worth it.  I keep running into XP computers that have issues with the screen not drawing properly due to the way it handles the graphics (moving the window will leave a trail if the program is not responding or something else is going on).

I rock a W8/W7 dual boot at home. My wife and kids won't adopt W8. So keeping both is good.

You need to chill out on the XP hate bud

This article is basically promoting people to screw up their systems. Read the comments on it, there's already a home user on there commenting, who has no right installing this.

• Like 2

So for these people software peaked in 2001 did it?

Hey there's still people that think their scrollbars and going through a directories filenames faster actually means something as far as the rest of the system is concerned.  Seen it plenty of times on these forums.

This article is basically promoting people to screw up their systems. Read the comments on it, there's already a home user on there commenting, who has no right installing this.

In the end, that's his problem

My dislike for XP wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't wholly insecure, rotten trash.

It had a good run, now it's time to quit adding insult to injury.

Who wants to join me on a road trip to the ZDnet headquarters and kick the "writer" of this garbage in the junk till he/she takes it down? 

I'm with Dot here, XP needs to go away, it's done, there are 1000% better alternatives out there, even for those who choose to still use outdated garbage hardware

Sad but true story, work has is about 99.99% on Win 7/8.1 and a developer called in looking to get info on whether or not he should still VB6 for an application he's maintatining, he wroked down the road from me, almost drove over to slap him and make him move on to VB.net once and for all, BUT VB6 is unsupported so it was a moot point already

Is anyone forcing you to use XP? There are still people using NT and 2000. Where is your hate there?

You like Win8...great, I use it to. But many people want to "gouge their eyes out" over how it looks. Why people are given a choice so they can use what they prefer.

• Like 3

Calm down bro, take a chill pill or something.