zdnet: How to extend XP forever and stay secure

Sure you do. I haven't seen one of those since 2004.

i do computer repair so of course i would see  those. They must have sold a kazillion because I see TON of those. I think I have 2 of them on my stack of used PC's in the kitchen.

Who else see's a lot of them.

i do computer repair so of course i would see  those. They must have sold a kazillion because I see TON of those.

I work for a major worldwide rubber company and those Dell machines can be found all over the company scattered.  So they are still around sporting XP. :)

I work for a major worldwide rubber company and those Dell machines can be found all over the company scattered.  So they are still around sporting XP. :)

but but but.... Dot Matrix just said...

I still see a lot of these

Ugh. Old Dell's. I've "inherited" a bunch of those doing upgrades at a few sites. Yea, I still see a few of those junkers around and about, not many but it does come up.. most of the people I do jobs for have thankfully tried to keep up with the current decade. I don't even bother keeping them myself anymore, near useless, although I kept a couple as a headless BSD server to do minor tasks. To be fair, they tend to run XP and most Linux distros like ass too. On the flip side of the rediculious coin, one of my tablets has a 800MHz Celeron and 512MB running Windows 7. It does work if you have plenty of time to kill while it beats the swap file to death.

i do computer repair so of course i would see  those. They must have sold a kazillion because I see TON of those. I think I have 2 of them on my stack of used PC's in the kitchen.

You're moving the goal posts. Again. Each time you ask me something, that's all you do. You asked a simple question, and I answered. You can make up whatever excuses you want, simple thing is each and everyone of them can be answered with simple "upgrade."

Old hardware? Upgrade. Sorry, but driving a clunker isn't going to get you far in today's online-only world.

"No money?" Don't buy this excuse, either. Many new machines can be bought for next to nothing. Upgrade.

New hardware with XP? Upgrade the OS. Virtualize if you need to. It costs nothing to do so. 

There is no way around the fact that XP is old, and you cannot keep it anymore as a primary OS. There are too many ways that things will go wrong, leaving you up the creek, at which point you'll have to upgrade anyways. 

You're moving the goal posts. Again. Each time you ask me something, that's all you do. You asked a simple question, and I answered. You can make up whatever excuses you want, simple thing is each and everyone of them can be answered with simple "upgrade."

Old hardware? Upgrade. Sorry, but driving a clunker isn't going to get you far in today's online-only world.

"No money?" Don't buy this excuse, either. Many new machines can be bought for next to nothing. Upgrade.

New hardware with XP? Upgrade the OS. Virtualize if you need to. It costs nothing to do so. 

There is no way around the fact that XP is old, and you cannot keep it anymore as a primary OS. There are too many ways that things will go wrong, leaving you up the creek, at which point you'll have to upgrade anyways. 

Those P4 Dell's he posted run fine with either 7 or XP.  We use one still at my place for a guest system. Try again. People don't need speed demons to check e-mail or play candy crush in "today's online world".

Those P4 Dell's he posted run fine with either 7 or XP.  We use one still at my place for a guest system. Try again. People don't need speed demons to check e-mail or play candy crush in "today's online world".

Exactly. If someone has one of those systems that isn't connected to the net that they use to say just run quicken. Does this version of quicken run on 8? Sure, but it also runs just fine on XP. So why not just use the XP machine until it dies then move it over to a new machine.

Why just because it's running XP should we scrap it and buy new. Plus I would say a descent machine is about $300 maybe a little more. To a little old lady living off Social Security $300 is not "next to nothing."

<insert stuff about Windows XP here>

Problems and solutions to Windows XP:

I have money - upgrade to Windows 7/8

My apps can't run on Windows 7/8 - update your app or find an alternative

There are no updates for my app and there are no alternatives - run in compatibility mode or enterprise mode

my apps can't run in compatibility mode or enterprise mode - virtualize Windows XP

My device can't run Windows 7/8 - Windows 7/8 Lite.

My device can't run Windows 7/8 Lite - upgrade your computer's RAM

I can't upgrade the hardware components - buy a new device

I don't have money - you really don't have money? devices are a lot cheaper nowadays

I really don't have money - use linux

my apps are not compatible for linux - use wine

my apps are not compatible with wine - virtualize Windows XP

There really, really, isn't an excuse.

Exactly. If someone has one of those systems that isn't connected to the net that they use to say just run quicken. Does this version of quicken run on 8? Sure, but it also runs just fine on XP. So why not just use the XP machine until it dies then move it over to a new machine.

Why just because it's running XP should we scrap it and buy new. Plus I would say a descent machine is about $300 maybe a little more. To a little old lady living off Social Security $300 is not "next to nothing."

You said it yourself one time, in a forum topic. The SVCHOST bug, it completely destroys the CPU.

You said it yourself one time, in a forum topic. The SVCHOST bug, it completely destroys the CPU.

But now it's fixed.

Now you're just being rediculous

I see machines with those specs as well. Even if you increased ram to 1 gig, you're going to struggle to run 7/8 with a VM as well.

I see machines with those specs as well. Even if you increased ram to 1 gig, you're going to struggle to run 7/8 with a VM as well.

As I said above: UPGRADE. All users, no matter what their OS, or hardware are capable of doing it. RAM is cheap. Anything from 2006 on is capable of virtualization. Windows 7 and 8 both have easy access to virtualization applications. Devices are cheap. Tablets are cheap. There's just simply no excuses to stick with 2004 era clunkers as Warwagon seems to think every consumer has.

There's just simply no excuses to stick with 2004 era clunkers

i'm going to quote my self

If someone has one of those systems that isn't connected to the net that they use to say just run quicken. Does this version of quicken run on 8? Sure, but it also runs just fine on XP. So why not just use the XP machine until it dies then move it over to a new machine.

i'm going to quote my self

I have yet to meet a single user who uses a computer "Just to run XYZ Application." You seem to think that every netizen is "Jane Grandma," but that is farthest from the truth. Again, you're making fringe cases.

I have yet to meet a single user who uses a computer "Just to run XYZ Application." You seem to think that every netizen is "Jane Grandma," but that is farthest from the truth. Again, you're making fringe cases.

But for that fringe case, why couldn't they just run the machine into the ground.

But for that fringe case, why couldn't they just run the machine into the ground.

It's 2014, if they're running the P4, you say everyone has, then they already have.

That makes too much sense, they will counter with some other insane excuse that is completely unrelated to the real issue of running XP anymore

Old games with protection that no longer supports new versions of Windows? they do exist just FYI

I still see a lot of them as well, a lot of people really don't upgrade if what they have suits their needs.

As I said above: UPGRADE. All users, no matter what their OS, or hardware are capable of doing it. RAM is cheap. Anything from 2006 on is capable of virtualization. Windows 7 and 8 both have easy access to virtualization applications. Devices are cheap. Tablets are cheap. There's just simply no excuses to stick with 2004 era clunkers as Warwagon seems to think every consumer has.

Really, unless they had something specifically in need of Windows the common sense thing to do would be to encourage the use of Linux rather than wasting money buying things that really are completely unnecessary. For basic browsing, email, and media consumption Linux will do the job just fine. My suspicion though is that with you it's more a case of turning every bit of advice into a Metro sales pitch. A nice low end OS like Lubuntu would work pretty well on older computers, there's no need for people to waste money when they already have something that still suits their needs.

My suspicion though is that with you it's more a case of turning every bit of advice into a Metro sales pitch.

Never mind the fact that I have mentioned Windows 7 multiple times in this thread, but hey, you keep on believing that. Windows 8 is also the latest Windows version, and the one that will have the most support going forward, so your argument against that, is what, exactly?

Never mind the fact that I have mentioned Windows 7 multiple times in this thread, but hey, you keep on believing that. Windows 8 is also the latest Windows version, and the one that will have the most support going forward, so your argument against that, is what, exactly?

It's going to take some people a bit of re-learning, and it requires features that any AMD or Intel CPU made before 2005 will not support. None of the socket 478 P4's have NX, and only the Athlon 64 series onwards have NX and SSE2.

It's going to take some people a bit of re-learning, and it requires features that any AMD or Intel CPU made before 2005 will not support. None of the socket 478 P4's have NX, and only the Athlon 64 series onwards have NX and SSE2.

In that case: Linux.

Or, you know, buy a new PC.

Learning is part of the game, and the user base with pre-2005 hardware is pretty slim.

In that case: Linux.

Or, you know, buy a new PC.

Yes, which was precisely why I suggested using Linux if using a dated machine.

Learning is part of the game, and the user base with pre-2005 hardware is pretty slim.

No it isn't, I repair hardware from those ages more frequently than most people realise.

Gahaha

Wow you should work in a pc shop or my former employers. There are some cheap bastards out there at home or accountants in the office who do not blink when their employes waste 30 minutes of their day waiting for computers to boot or apps to load if it can save him $800.