zdnet: How to extend XP forever and stay secure

It doesn't matter.  Windows 7 and Windows 8 (even Windows 9, 10, 11, ...) will ALL have vulnerability issues.  The only way to stop the general user from infecting their own machine is to only allow programs to be installed from the app store.

I completely agree.

Even then it is not 100% protected.  The software is coded by humans, it cannot be 100% perfect.  There will always be security issues in ANY version.

Absolutely. There will always be as of yet undiscovered bugs and exploits in all versions of Windows, not just XP. The question remains though, what is the most abundant reservoir of malware for consumer Windows PC's, memory hacks and exploits, or the user running and installing programs?

This does not make it right suggesting and giving advice on how to stick with XP instead of upgrading.  It is NO LONGER supported by the manufacturer. The best advice is UPGRADE if you can.

It really depends. If by upgrade you're talking about Windows, then that could be very expensive. You'd most likely need a completely new PC. Then there's the question of software compatibility.

I'm not going to force an upgrade down anybody's throat though. Especially when I've got a dual boot running XP / Xubuntu myself.

XP is not the best OS ever made, I do not see why so many people are suggesting this.  It had NUMEROUS problems before SP2.  I fail to see ONE good thing about XP that would keep me back from the new OSes.  As much as my dislike for the new style of Windows 8, the desktop changes are worth it.

If it's not broke why fix it, will probably be the resounding answer. The dire and apocalyptic warnings expressed by certain people in this thread are massively overblown. Windows Vista, 7, and 8 all have vulnerabilities and exploits. There's no guarantee if you move to them that your system won't be compromised. If anything, XP is becoming less of a target due to security in obscurity. All the new malware coming out will be attacking Windows 8, 9, and so forth in the future, most of which won't be compatible with XP. Much like Windows RT today.

Time for an update or new software, and it can be done, I work for one of the biggest international health insurance companies and the transition is on the software side was completed last year and the few remaining XP installs are being upgraded or replaced with 7/8, there are no corporate advantages to not update your software, especially in light of all the known and countless unknown data breaches at companies likely still running XP and crap ancient software 

The software is supplied by the hardware vendor and therefore XP is the only way - to be honest it was written for Windows 2000 and everytime you close the app on XP, it crashes!

The later hardware we use is now controlled via web-browser / ethernet cable, so thats nice. Unfortunately there is a crap-ton of legacy hardware still in use and is the backbone of the SDH/PDH network used. (one sub-contractor asked us for a 200meg link. The fibre network runs at STM-1 (155.52 Mbit/s) so that's not gonna happen :D )

I can't believe I am agreeing with Whiplash, but this statement, right here. If you need XP for whatever old application, virtualization is cheap and effective. Windows 8 even comes with it built right in. Heck, even Windows 7 has "XP Mode," but with XP not supported, it's better to have it in a more secure virtualized environment.

Installing third party junk to try and keep XP 'supported" just isn't sound advice. At the end of the day, you're still using Windows XP, and it's still unsupported by Microsoft.

Can we get you on record to your answer to this question.

If you knew someone who had a PC running XP that was not connected to the internet, and they use used it offline. Would you upgrade them or agree that they can keep using XP.

There is just something so wrong with a tech site not wanting to move forward in technology. Lets hang on to the past. It's sad really. Maybe that's why I haven't been to zdnet since the 90's.

• Like 3

There is just something so wrong with a tech site not wanting to move forward in technology. Lets hang on to the past. It's sad really. Maybe that's why I haven't been to zdnet since the 90's.

I like playing old arcade ROMs. Does that mean I'm stuck in the past?

It is less secure than 7/8.1. XP has next to no modern security features, and by default runs administrator profiles.

Windows 7/8.1 all have lower infection rates than XP does. -> https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-windows-xp-malware-infection-rate-nearly-six-times-higher-than-windows-8

Once UAC saved my system from an infection. Visited a page with a rogue ad or code then got redirected to a malicious page that attempts to install that ransomware masquerading as anti-virus software. Once it triggered the UAC popup and I declined the malware was nullified. Ran a thorough system scan with nothing detected and monitored my system to ensure nothing was behaving any differently that showed any signs of infection.

That's all I'm going to say as I don't feel like getting involved in an argument or debate.

I feel bad for a few of the writes there, like Ed Bott. The ZDNet user base is just sad, really.

Can we get you on record to your answer to this question.

If you knew someone who had a PC running XP that was not connected to the internet, and they use used it offline. Would you upgrade them or agree that they can keep using XP.

And what does that do for them? What are you going to do *today* with a PC that's not connected to the net?

So this software replaces the XP shell and is just a VDI launcher? What is stopping the VDI machines from getting malware?

I feel bad for a few of the writes there, like Ed Bott. The ZDNet user base is just sad, really.

And what does that do for them? What are you going to do *today* with a PC that's not connected to the net?

maybe they have a specialized app on just that computer that doesn't require the internet but only runs on xp.

I like playing old arcade ROMs. Does that mean I'm stuck in the past?

There is nothing wrong with playing old arcade ROM's... as long as you don't talk down new games.

maybe they have a specialized app on just that computer that doesn't require the internet but only runs on xp.

No. You can virtualize that. Next.

No. You can virtualize that. Next.

But why have them buy something they don't need.

If you had a computer repair business and someone came in with an XP machine, would you refuse service to them?

Isn't it obvious? His real interest is in forcing everyone to use Windows 8.

For internet connectivity using XP on the Internet isn't exactly the smartest thing to do but a lot of XP era computers are crippled because their onboard VGA isn't capable of running Windows 7 or newer, and people shouldn't be forced to buy new hardware if they have absolutely no need for it. I will probably be encouraging anyone I know to use Linux if they are currently using XP, or Windows 7 if their rig is capable of handling it.

The problem with this issue is that nobody is capable of handling it maturely, the XP diehards on other forums will cling on because they don't want to change and the Metro diehards on this forum will want everyone to be forced into using Windows 8 whether they really want to or not. In short most people involved in this debate seem more interested in pushing their preferences onto the user rather than doing what is best for the users.

I remember the late 80's and 90's. The floppies, huge boxes and how slow everything was and .. well... I'm just amazed at the transformation. I can't wait to see how tech develops in the next 5 yrs.

But why have them buy something they don't need.

If you had a computer repair business and someone came in with an XP machine, would you refuse service to them?

Buy? What would you possibly need to buy to virtualize a single application?

XP is unsupported, plain and simple. If I had a shop, there isn't much I could do for them.

Buy? What would you possibly need to buy to virtualize a single application?

XP is unsupported, plain and simple. If I had a shop, there isn't much I could do for them.

So you want them to virtualize it on their XP machine?

Then you should have been investing in upgrading that app for the past 10 years, so you are not in the position now where XP is dead and you are scrambling around trying to save your a#$.

Then you should have been investing in upgrading that app for the past 10 years, so you are not in the position now where XP is dead and you are scrambling around trying to save your a#$.

That makes too much sense, they will counter with some other insane excuse that is completely unrelated to the real issue of running XP anymore

So you want them to virtualize it on their XP machine?

Why not? Install a new host OS - Windows 7 or 8, then virtualize XP. Any hardware bought within the last several years can run it. It's not that hard.

Why not? Install a new host OS - Windows 7 or 8, then virtualize XP. Any hardware bought within the last several years can run it. It's not that hard.

Pentium 4 512 megs of ram?

Now you're just being rediculous

Umm... no. I still see a lot of those computers that customers have. That were bought back in 2004

I still see a lot of these

DeLL-Dimension-Tower-For-Sale-2014032512

Or get a linux distro.  Use the linux host for other tasks, and XP for that single application you still need.  VirtualBox works on Linux I believe.

Umm... no. I still see a lot of those computers that customers have. That were bought back in 2004

I see a lot of these

DeLL-Dimension-Tower-For-Sale-2014032512

Sure you do. I haven't seen one of those since 2004.