Photo

Bloodborne (From Software / Sony Japan Studio, PS4)

project beast dark souls demon souls from software sce japan sony ps4 bloodborne

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 01 October 2014 - 17:17

Played this at Eurogamer. Was amazing :D I know the alpha test has just started, my download is almost done. But the SP portion I played at Eurogamer was great. Its not Demons Souls 2, it keeps familiar elements but its faster paced and based around aggressive attacking now.

#47 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 01 October 2014 - 22:58

Played this at Eurogamer. Was amazing :D I know the alpha test has just started, my download is almost done. But the SP portion I played at Eurogamer was great. Its not Demons Souls 2, it keeps familiar elements but its faster paced and based around aggressive attacking now.

I like what I hear both from yourself and elsewhere, but the insane difficulty will probably kill my enjoyment of the game :(

#48 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:33

So I played the alpha last night. It literally is Demon/Dark Souls with a new coat of paint. (that's a good thing!) I felt right at home with the controls and combat. There are messages left by other players, gravestones that show their recent deaths, jolly cooperation, and cryptic items/story. It's all there.

The graphics look great. It's the same type of art style as the other 'Souls' games, but with way more effects and post-processing. Though, it being an alpha, I did notice some extreme performance problems at some points. Specifically during co-op or when there was a lot of water or fire on the screen. Hopefully they fix that before launch, though I know there was some performance issues with the other 'Souls' games...

And I really like the transforming weapons. The transforming animations are cool to watch, and it also gives the player a small and large weapon at the same time; each with different strengths and weaknesses. I think my favorite was the sword/hammer, "kirkhammer" I think? It will be cool to see if you can equip different "pieces" to create different variations of a transforming weapon. If not, I'm not worried that there will be enough variety in the weapon list come launch.

I like and don't like the shift from past 'Souls' games shield/defense approach to Bloodborne's dodge/countershot approach. It plays well enough, but I kept getting that feeling that I wish I had a shield to just block attacks rather than continually move/shoot. Maybe that will go away once the game launches and I play more of it.

The boss at the "end" of the alpha was your typical 'Souls' boss: large, overpowering, and awesome looking. I also love that the gun can stun bosses. (at least this one) So the boss fight was more than a tank-n-spank. (dodge-n-spank?) There is a bit of strategy there (trying to get in a gun shot to the head) besides knowing when to dodge. Seems like the game will keep up the tradition of awesome boss fights.

And combat in general rewards timing more than past 'Souls' games. There is countershots which act like parries, and they did away with instant backstabs, which I like because the PvE combat stays non-trivial the whole time. I can only see this as a good thing for PvP. No more phantom backstabs, yay!

So far though, if you're a fan of Demon/Dark Souls, you'll enjoy this game. It's definitely a 'Souls' game, even if it's not in the name.

#49 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 02 October 2014 - 13:11

And it still has the framerate issues of a Souls game :p

I'm sure they will be fixed up though, no excuses on this hardware. This is the same demo I played at Eurogamer by the way, was hoping the alpha might have been new content for me, but I guess the less spoiled the better.

Hiding behind a 100% block shield has always been a Souls thing, I think it's good this time it seems that is getting changed up. A 4th entry too similar to the others and it might have begun to get a little formulaic.

#50 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 03 October 2014 - 17:01

Alpha test back online for a few hours!

#51 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 03 October 2014 - 17:45

Boss dead!

Agile character, killed all enemies apart from the dude with the big axe. Parrying boss with gun and crit hits is the way to go.

#52 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:32

Someone found a way to glitch the Alpha and play more content including a new boss fight

And below is a tie to Demons Souls :) (Think it's when the boss dies)

http://i.imgur.com/j0ZUtf5.png

#53 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 04 October 2014 - 14:48

Someone found a way to glitch the Alpha and play more content including a new boss fight

And below is a tie to Demons Souls :) (Think it's when the boss dies)

http://i.imgur.com/j0ZUtf5.png

Nice :laugh:

How do you get the alpha btw? Would like to try it before placing a pre-order.

#54 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 04 October 2014 - 15:05

Nice :laugh:

How do you get the alpha btw? Would like to try it before placing a pre-order.

It was a signup about a week ago, sure I posted in here? Not sure if you can now. Tomorrow is suppose to be the last day testing, but they've delayed it (I think to patch the glitches above lol - Don't think they wanted anyone seeing that content, especially not the tie to Demons Souls).

#55 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 04 October 2014 - 15:22

It was a signup about a week ago, sure I posted in here? Not sure if you can now. Tomorrow is suppose to be the last day testing, but they've delayed it (I think to patch the glitches above lol - Don't think they wanted anyone seeing that content, especially not the tie to Demons Souls).

Damn, must have missed it :(

Does it play (controls wise) just like Demon/Dark souls? If anything I can boot up the PS3 and get to grips with it better ahead of release :laugh:

#56 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 04 October 2014 - 15:26

Damn, must have missed it :(

Does it play (controls wise) just like Demon/Dark souls?

Bit different. Controls are fairly similar, although blood vial is dedicated to triangle now, more on that in a minute. R1/R2 still light/heavy attacks, but L1 can now be used to switch between gun/your primary weapons extended mode (a longer cleaver/axe or dual blades instead of the gun/blade with the agile character). L2 will use the gun, or become part of your main weapons secondary mode.

Much faster paced rolls/dodges with circle now. Instead of thinking of the Souls circle being used just to run/roll, or back jump, it's used offensively now to dodge around your opponent, in other words fast forward momentum.

Back to health vials. They can be picked up and act like any estus flask from before. The new mechanic in Bloodborne is when you take a hit your healthbar will go orange for the damage amount taken, and if you can attack quickly enough to spray yourself in blood, you can recover that orange section. After a few seconds it goes from orange to black, as in, a chunk of health is now permanently missing unless you use a vial.

After killing the boss my character literally didn't have a piece of cloth on him/her that wasn't blood soaked lol. Quite a cool effect visually, gameplay wise, it's a massive mechanic changer to previous games. That risk/reward mechanic. You take a huge hit and go from full health to 1/3rd, but if you immediately go on the offensive you could recover that health quickly with blood spray rather than having to use a vial (which has it's animation window that leaves you fully open to attack).

This ISN'T me on the bridge after killing the boss, it's a picture I found online. I would never break NDA and with Sony disabling the share button and me not owning a camera phone I could NEVER take a picture :p

RpNADHP.jpg