Epic announces livestream to reveal "future of Unreal Tournament" on May 8

Intriguing. I didn't like UT3 too much, but loved UT99, 2k3 and 2k4.

Mayhaps this will be reason enough to upgrade my PC!

Announced ?

Yes, I suck at typing, and I suck even more at spell checking.

ABOUT

GOD
DAMN

TIME

Hopefully they learned from UT3. If they made a UT2k4 version with UT3 graphics, I'm game. Shootmania excited me but the community isn't there. This will instantly bring people back to the PC community. UT is a very well known game / name around the PC Community

Hells yeah, been so damn long :| Can't wait to see what Epic has been cooking (Y)

DM-Morpheus & CTF-Facing Worlds I & II in UT99 = :heart:

That is great news!

They better have UT3 style flack cannon. That thing was sex.

All they need to do is take the base formula from UT2K4 and give it better visuals and some slight updates and enhancements and they have themselves a fantastic game. To this day no MP FPS has been able to replicate that game in my opinion. Especially Onslaught Mode. It had larger size maps, and even vehicles, but the combat itself was incredibly fast and the pinnacle of a twitch shooter. So many wannabe twitch shooters that followed could never got the formula right. Larger maps with fast paced combat. I actually think UT3 took a step backwards in regards to what gave UT it's identity.

With all that said, I actually fear it is too little too late for this series. They are going to cave into the pressure of trying to replicate all of the aspects of today's online shooters they feel will make them able to compete. A bloated leveling system. Challenges. Instead of just letting people enjoy the game on a match by match basis and find pleasure and comfort with how they just performed in the last match they played, they are going to cave in and try to give the player some kind of persistent system that they think hooks them in and keeps them playing. What they, and all other developers do not realize is, you do not need all of this extra nonsense to make a good MP FPS. Make it damn fun to play and it does not matter what follows a player from match to match.

Or perhaps I am dead wrong and people only do enjoy these systems and they are the only reason they keep playing. I personally just prefer make it a damn good game to play, keep all that other stuff. Make it a level playing field for all players right from the get go. No leveling up of weapons, etc. Just give everyone access to everything straight out. Make it the actual gameplay that makes them keep coming back.

• Like 3

All they need to do is take the base formula from UT99 and give it better visuals and some slight updates and enhancements and they have themselves a fantastic game.

FTFY.

Ahold fashioned UT game will feel outdated and uninteresting by the standards of todays FPS gamers. And they can't make a game solely for those who long for the past. So I doubt it will be 2k4in new dressing.

Ahold fashioned UT game will feel outdated and uninteresting by the standards of todays FPS gamers. And they can't make a game solely for those who long for the past. So I doubt it will be 2k4in new dressing.

Honestly it would probably feel fresh and new to today's audiences cause no one actually makes a fast paced, skill based arena shooter anymore and most people who came to gaming in gen 7 will have never played such a game.

No one get excited just yet.

I have a strong feeling this will be a free to play game. Which we all know doesn't work.

Loadout is an excellent example of how to make free-to-play work.

I have a strong feeling this will be a free to play game. Which we all know doesn't work.

Trackmania nations disagrees :p

Trackmania nations disagrees :p

Trackmania Nations isn't free to play. It doesn't have in-app purchases. You never hit a pay wall where you need to grind like a lot of free to play.

Unless they've changed it since they released it. This game was around when free to play wasn't even a thing.

Loadout is an excellent example of how to make free-to-play work.

True. I believe Warframe is another that works.

I still believe you'll hit a pay wall or grind.

I think the majority of us would want classic UT gameplay with mod tools.

Oh god no, this is why I abandoned TF2.