Should I build a gaming PC?

Thanks for the tip. Nothing significantly different to my eyes though.  Only saw what seems to be a noise artifacts that varied a little bit from the cycle.  But yes the road texture is what I think was just a noise artifacts.  But yes I do spot the difference.  Just not enough to be of significant to me.

You seem to be right, but I think the hardware encoders still do an OK job at 3500kbps, providing a low-cost, low-performance impact option. Some guy did a comparison of all 3 encoders and while x264 looks noticeably better, the two hardware encoders produce acceptable quality. Looks like x264 fast preset > QuickSync > NVENC. https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/feedback-quick-sync-and-nvenc-laptop.11868/

Here's a frame taken in a fast action scene:

*snip*

It could possibly be because that scene is so dark you can't see all the artifacts, in my experience the difference is much larger. Here's a quick comparison I just took, one with x264 software 3500kbps the other with NVEnc 3500kbps and a large buffer. I'm panning the camera slowly, in a quick moving FPS the difference is even larger. 

x264 (veryfast preset, so it could look better at the same bitrate if you want to sacrifice more CPU resources) :

h70gs1G.jpg

NVEnc:

0IdyIdX.png

I don't have QuickSync set-up anymore, but it was only slightly better than NVEnc in the tests I did before upgrading my CPU.

It could possibly be because that scene is so dark you can't see all the artifacts, in my experience the difference is much larger. Here's a quick comparison I just took, one with x264 software 3500kbps the other with NVEnc 3500kbps and a large buffer. I'm panning the camera slowly, in a quick moving FPS the difference is even larger. 

:o That is abysmal. I wonder why your results are so different than those posted on the OBS forum. Different video card model/drivers? 

Recommending an i3 is spectacularly poor advice.

You need a quad core processor these days.

For what? Game benchmarks generally show little difference between the two. Example.

"Overall, Core i3 has never been as recommendable as it is now. It will definitely be mentioned on this site again, as we put together our next PC build guide. It will find its way in most gaming systems ? you should only need to upgrade to a Core i5 is you do a lot of other intensive multithreaded CPU tasks." - Carl Nelson, hardcoreware.net

For what? Game benchmarks generally show little difference between the two. Example.

Highly skeptical of this benchmark article. Given the OPs stated use cases (1080p gaming at high FPS with streaming and potential overclocking) there is one choice. Hint if anyone is still wondering: It is not the budget dual core processor.