17 posts in this topic

Posted

By Noam Chomsky 05 November 2013 09:54 Chomsky is emeritus professor of linguistics and philosophy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in Cambridge. Noam Chomsky's most recent book is Power Systems: Conversations on Global Democratic Uprisings and the New Challenges to U.S. Empire. Interviews with David Barsamian.
avr0wz.jpg
During the latest episode of the Washington farce that has astonished a bemused world, a Chinese commentator wrote that if the United States cannot be a responsible member of the world system, perhaps the world should become "de-Americanized"

1 person likes this

Posted

Chomsky is a cunning linguist, but he should have stayed out of politics.
3 people like this

Posted

Chomsky is a cunning linguist, but he should have stayed out of politics.

So, he is a cunning linguist, but not a master debater.

3 people like this

Posted

So, he is a cunning linguist, but not a master debater.

Rottenecards_7239844_q28bqdpscm.png

2 people like this

Posted

Hey... thats funny because it sounds like cunnilingus & masturbater - so when you read it , you think of dirty words....hehe

Oh, I just thought of them again 

/s

3 people like this

Posted

A great piece, albeit we are allowed our thoughts whether they be right or wrong as is in this case (Wrong).  However, one thing is true things change, and at the present time China is looking to take over the position the United States presently holds.

1 person likes this

Posted

I guess it doesn't really have anything to do with what the article talks about directly, but I do wish other parts of the world would de-Americanise. Everywhere you go, the 25+ folks talk about how things used to be and how much more like America things have gotten. It's usually not a good thing. It would be great if we could connect globally the way we do--the world is smaller now than ever--without each place losing its own cultural identity and the things that make it unique.

4 people like this

Posted

Hey... thats funny because it sounds like cunnilingus & masturbater - so when you read it , you think of dirty words....hehe

Actually, it's a play on a bit from the movie [classic] Austin Powers - Goldmember.  But yeah, it is kind of hilarious.

Posted

Actually, it's a play on a bit from the movie [classic] Austin Powers - Goldmember.  But yeah, it is kind of hilarious.

I think you may find that these puns go back much further than that.

Posted

Actually its a lot older than that -

You did see me "/s" afterwards ??   I was kidding around stating the obvious.

Regardless, I dont think Austin Powers - Goldmember is considered a classic  LOL - unless you consider Twilight movies are great cinematic masterpieces

Just messin with ya -

Damn I didnt see Nik beat me to it

Posted

I guess it doesn't really have anything to do with what the article talks about directly, but I do wish other parts of the world would de-Americanise. Everywhere you go, the 25+ folks talk about how things used to be and how much more like America things have gotten. It's usually not a good thing. It would be great if we could connect globally the way we do--the world is smaller now than ever--without each place losing its own cultural identity and the things that make it unique.

^ This.  I have nothing really against American culture, but I don't really want to emulate it thanks.. We have our own culture...

2 people like this

Posted

^ This.  I have nothing really against American culture, but I don't really want to emulate it thanks.. We have our own culture...

That is why they call it "culture wars" - while it's not fault with bullets and bombs, the effects are far more devastating.  Culture is most often the greatest source - if not the only source - of national pride left for all too many nations; however, citizens - anywhere - tend to emulate what THEY see as a successful nation (or national culture); much to the horror of nationalists everywhere, the most-often seen most-successful culture is the polyglot "mongrel" culture of the United States, and precisely because it IS a polyglot "mongrel" culture - and works darn well anyway despite that.

What American culture is (unlike what is seen as "culture" anywhere else on the planet) is not based on ethnicity or tribal factors - it is as polyglot as the nation itself.  It is an outright slap in the face to those that normally define what "culture" is - not to mention nationists and bigots everywhere.  As much as those same groups want to argue the point, there IS that rather poignant adage "nothing succeeds like success", and the track record of the United States speaks for itself.  And despite that we DO have government bodies that actually have the JOB of promoting American culture, the best job promoting it are by US-based businesses AND US citizens - most of which either spend a great deal of their own MONEY doing it (in the case of the businesses), or do it "on their own dime" - going against the grain every which way.

Unlike Australia (which was the "dumping ground" for the UK in particular after they surrendered to the US), the United States was the dumping ground for most of Europe - not just the UK; only the Portuguese had no colonies in any part of what became the 49 continental states (among the 17th/18th century major colonial empires).  Notice I did NOT leave out Russia - Alaska was purchased by the United States from the Russians.

It's not merely snatching success from the jaws of certain failure, but whacking failure upside the noggin with a Clue-By-Four - repeatedly.

The United States of America - the cultural success that is supposed to be impossible.  (Chew on THAT for a bit.)

Posted

^ Yeah... Looking at the state of the US at the moment, I wouldn't necessarily be screaming about its cultural success... :p

Posted

The article states the obvious.
1 person likes this

Posted

^ Yeah... Looking at the state of the US at the moment, I wouldn't necessarily be screaming about its cultural success... :p

Who's screaming?  The United States isn't - it's primarily those that (for their own reasons) want the place the United States has.  I'm not saying they don't have their rights to complain - that IS, after all why it is referred to as culture WAR; I'm simply pointing out that - even with/despite the protestations of fellow Americans - a vast majority of NON-Americans would rather BE Americans - even over the nations of their birth or current residence.

And, on that note, let the culture wars continue.

Posted

Not bad article and Chomsky might be the last great post-estructuralist, but that it's said here is. essentially, a copy of Foucault's thoughts, specially those found in 'Discipline and Punishment', but with the contemporary United States as a twist.

We need to understand something vital: Culture wars is not only a

Posted

Not bad article and Chomsky might be the last great post-estructuralist, but that it's said here is. essentially, a copy of Foucault's thoughts, specially those found in 'Discipline and Punishment', but with the contemporary United States as a twist.

We need to understand something vital: Culture wars is not only a