vista

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Ian William

Ian William

Open 24 hours.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 May 2014 - 23:57

I had discovered this article a while back, but while searching for Windows information I stumbled upon it again. The author of the article describes how Microsoft had an application store prior to the one released by Apple, which I believe provides another example of how Microsoft is ahead of its competition. I had wondered if I should post it on Neowin due to its age (it's from 2011), but after reading Dot Matrix's new status update about the lack of an application store in Windows Vista (what are the odds of that timing?) I have decided to share.

http://www.theguardi...ows-marketplace

#2 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 Black + WP8.1 Black

Posted 04 May 2014 - 00:07

Wow. I never knew that Vista had anything like that. It was never on my Vista PC, or I didn't see it.

#3 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 May 2014 - 00:26

The fact that many of us here didn't know it existed says a lot. It just shows that while Microsoft was ahead of its time they either thought it was something that wouldn't catch on or just didn't market it well. 

#4 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 May 2014 - 00:29

Best part of the article:

There's a pattern here. Microsoft gets bright idea – Tablet, Windows Marketplace, Passport. Does half-baked implementation which flops. Apple or Google works out how to do it right. Microsoft copies them.

Now that I think about it, it makes sense.

#5 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 04 May 2014 - 00:59

Best part of the article:

Now that I think about it, it makes sense.

No it does not.

Tablet? MS was ahead of it's time, the hardware required just wasn't there. It was never a half baked implementation, they just forgot / couldn't care enough to keep it updated. And that's something that's an issue with all companies that are in a dominant position. There was really no threat to the MS tablet or Windows Mobile for a long time. They got complacent because "well no competition, why bother spending the money on it." Then when another company poised a threat, they were left like a deer in the headlights. It happened with IE, it happened with Windows Mobile, and that's just from Microsoft products. Any product that has no real competition will eventually end up becoming stagnant because the motivation to innovate gets lost. Competition drives innovation.

Marketplace? Oh you mean something that was similar to the repository that Linux had? Or Steam? Or Direct2Drive? It was never something MS, Apple or Google created or perfected for that matter.

Passport? Since when did Apple or Google ever have something similar to Passport?

#6 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:02

Am I the only one that knew Marketplace was there? :/

#7 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:03

No it does not.Tablet? MS was ahead of it's time, the hardware required just wasn't there. It was never a half baked implementation, they just forgot / couldn't care enough to keep it updated. And that's something that's an issue with all companies that are in a dominant position. There was really no threat to the MS tablet or Windows Mobile for a long time. They got complacent because "well no competition, why bother spending the money on it." Then when another company poised a threat, they were left like a deer in the headlights.Marketplace? Oh you mean something that was similar to the repository that Linux had? Or Steam? Or Direct2Drive? It was never something MS, Apple or Google created or perfected for that matter.Passport? Since when did Apple or Google ever have something similar to Passport?

Awesome excuses....

Hardware wasn't there? Remember, Apple created an operating system specifically for their smartphones and tablets, bc their hardware wouldn't support OSX.

It actually makes perfect sense. Rushing products to the market is never a smart idea. Waiting for someone to do it right and then copying them isn't either.

#8 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:06

Awesome excuses....

It actually makes perfect sense. Rushing products to the market is never a smart idea. Waiting for someone to do it right and then copying them isn't either.

They aren't excuses, they're actually facts. But your blatant hatred for MS and love for anything Apple doesn't allow you to see past your bias.

Hardware wasn't there? Remember, Apple created an operating system specifically for their smartphones and tablets, bc their hardware wouldn't support OSX.

The MS tablet came out in 2002. Touchscreens weren't anywhere NEAR as good as they were in 2008. Computer hardware alone wasn't near as good or as portable.

It has nothing to do with that. It has everything to do with competition drives innovation. No competition means no reason to spend the money to innovate.

#9 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:07

I hope not since there was a shortcut to it right in the Start Menu.

#10 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:09

They aren't excuses, they're actually facts. But your blatant hatred for MS and love for anything Apple doesn't allow you to see past your bias.The MS tablet came out in 2002. Touchscreens weren't anywhere NEAR as good as they were in 2008. Computer hardware alone wasn't near as good or as portable.It has nothing to do with that. It has everything to do with competition drives innovation. No competition means no reason to spend the money to innovate.

Spend less time labelling others and more time arguing. It would make your post seem half educated.

MS tablets were junk before the iPad. It's not like they were selling tons and MS just ignored their users. They were all collecting dust on the shelves and had an unusable OS on them. Apple showed the world how it's done first with the iPod, then with the iPhone and then the iPad. Those are simple facts.

#11 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:12

Spend less time labelling others and more time arguing. It would make your post seem half educated.

MS tablets were junk before the iPad. It's not like they were selling tons and MS just ignored their users. They were all collecting dust on the shelves and had an unusable OS on them. Apple showed the world how it's done first with the iPod, then with the iPhone and then the iPad. Those are simple facts.

If you actually read my post you wouldn't be posting "half educated crap'. I never said anything about how well the tablet was selling and how it was the best thing since sliced bread, but keep trying and showing your ignorance.

When MS first demoed the tablet it was actually a pretty good product for it's time, which was 2002. Same thing with Windows Mobile. The problem was for the next few years MS had 0 competition in that area. So they let their product stagnate, and stagnate, and stagnate. Then as the hardware kept getting better, the product started to show it's true age because well MS didn't bother to keep it updated with the times or innovate anymore. I clearly even stated this in my first post.

#12 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:12

I knew about it, but it was pretty much worthless.

#13 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:15

If you actually read my post you wouldn't be posting "half educated crap'. I never said anything about how well the tablet was selling and how it was the best thing since sliced bread, but keep trying and showing your ignorance.When MS first demoed the tablet it was actually a pretty good product for it's time, which was 2002. Same thing with Windows Mobile. The problem was for the next few years MS had 0 competition in that area. So they let their product stagnate, and stagnate, and stagnate. Then as the hardware kept getting better, the product started to show it's true age because well MS didn't bother to keep it updated with the times or innovate anymore. I clearly even stated this in my first post.

Right. So clearly it's Microsofts fault. But then again, Apple wasn't in their respective markets (mp3 player, smartphone, tablet), yet they still released market defining products. Your "excuses" about innovation and stagnation are old.

#14 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:16

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it in Windows XP, with SP2, it debuted in 2004. I never used it so I can't really comment on it's efficacy but it's pretty well known that Apple didn't invent this idea given that it's been in most Linux distros since the 90s.

#15 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:19

Right. So clearly it's Microsofts fault. But then again, Apple wasn't in their respective markets (mp3 player, smartphone, tablet), yet they still released market defining products. Your "excuses" about innovation and stagnation are old.

Please point to where I said it wasn't MS' fault. Oh wait....I didn't. I even clearly said that MS did not continue to innovate. And those "excuses" are facts, whether you choose to believe it or not. A company has 0 incentive to innovate when there is no competition. That's why monopolies are bad for progress.

I never even underplayed Apple's technological advances either. I even clearly stated that MS got caught like a deer in a headlights. They didn't have any competition, they didn't expect any competition and they left their product to rot. Apple saw a gap, took it and came out ahead.