14 replies to this topic

#1 Turk.

Turk.

Neowinian

• 581 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 00:56

By AP May 03, 2014 6:46 PM ET
Clayton Lockett, 38, was administered a new drug combination

A bungled execution in Oklahoma in which the condemned prisoner writhed and moaned as he received a lethal injection outraged death-penalty opponents, invited court challenges and attracted worldwide attention.

But the inmate's agony alone is highly unlikely to change minds about capital punishment in the most active U.S. death-penalty states, where lawmakers say there is little political will to move against lethal injections — and a single execution gone wrong won't change that.

Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian, a Republican lawmaker who pushed to have state Supreme Court justices impeached for briefly halting Tuesday's execution, was unsparing.

"I realize this may sound harsh," Christian said, "but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

5 states abolish death penalty

Surveys by Gallup indicate that support for the death penalty remains strong in the United States, though it has declined over the last 20 years, from 80 percent in favor of capital punishment in 1992 to 60 percent two years ago.

There are signs of a shift, primarily in the West and Northeast, after almost four decades in which no state legislatures voted to end executions.

Five states — New Jersey, New Mexico, Illinois, Connecticut and Maryland — have formally abolished the death penalty in the last seven years, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, which opposes capital punishment. New York's death penalty was abolished by a court, and several other states have placed executions on hold. An anti-death penalty bill in New Hampshire fell one vote short of passage.

'What has to happen is someone famous, someone that they admire, has to be falsely accused or has to be convicted, to where they say, `Oh my God, this has become an epidemic.' -Anthony Graves, formerly on death row
Source

#2 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,096 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:43

This belongs in Domestic Politics but here goes,

My heart bleeds....not....we make it too comfortable a death.

And most of those states weren't using their death penalty anyhow, so big woof.

#3 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,694 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:18

I moved the topic as per request.  It's best to double check where you're posting something before you do so.

#4 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,109 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:56

This belongs in Domestic Politics but here goes,

My heart bleeds....not....we make it too comfortable a death.

And most of those states weren't using their death penalty anyhow, so big woof.

Bad enough you kill these people, but torturing them to death makes you worse than they are.

#5 AwayfromHere

AwayfromHere

Neowinian Senior

• 3,012 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z3

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:04

Bad enough you kill these people, but torturing them to death makes you worse than they are.

While I have nothing against death penalty (keep in mind most of them do deserve it) but this...this was just torture.

#6 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• 1,319 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:06

I have to agree somewhat, it should a humane death but they are murderers who calculatedly planned the death of someone else, they don't really deserve much mercy.

What's wrong with asphyxiation? It's been shown to be the most humane death and people who die that way don't even realise what's happening. Even a firing squad would be more humane than what they're doing just now.

#7 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,109 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:25

If it has to be lethal injection, what's wrong with a large dose of morphine. It'll do the job nicely, and the subject goes happy.

#8 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 5,085 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 23:19

If it has to be lethal injection, what's wrong with a large dose of morphine. It'll do the job nicely, and the subject goes happy.

We were just discussing that among some nurses earlier, there is so many politics to all if thus that things like this wonte happen.

#9 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,559 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 23:21

Not surprised, one botched execution is not going to change that specific states view on the death penalty.

It may find a more reliable method that pasts legal muster. 

#10 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,572 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 23:24

Nitrous Oxide would be the easiest and least unpleasant method.

#11 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• 2,988 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 830

Posted 04 May 2014 - 23:30

those being put down don't deserve to go nicely or happy.

#12 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,938 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 23:47

those being put down don't deserve to go nicely or happy.

I sure hope you're never falsely accused of a crime worthy of the death sentence.

In Palliative Care they tend to give higher levels of Morphine; if they O.D. it's not too big an issue. I agree it's probably a nicer way to go.

Personally I just hope when I die I'm so damned senile that I think I'm visiting my Great Grand Kids. As it should be.

#13 OP Turk.

Turk.

Neowinian

• 581 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:08

It is very sad people even do not talk abolishing death penalty but judging which method would be the best to death, it is a pity, then they give human right lectures here and there.
2q8rlfk.jpg
Retentionist Countries
AFGHANISTAN
ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA
BAHAMAS
BAHRAIN
BANGLADESH
BARBADOS
BELARUS
BELIZE
BOTSWANA
CHAD
CHINA
COMOROS
CONGO (Democratic Republic)
CUBA
DOMINICA
EGYPT
EQUATORIAL GUINEA
ETHIOPIA
GAMBIA
GUATEMALA GUINEA
GUYANA
INDIA
INDONESIA
IRAN
IRAQ
JAMAICA
JAPAN
JORDAN
KOREA (North)
KUWAIT
LEBANON
LESOTHO
LIBYA
MALAYSIA
NIGERIA
OMAN
PAKISTAN
PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY
QATAR
SAINT KITTS & NEVIS
SAINT LUCIA
SAINT VINCENT & GRENADINES
SAUDI ARABIA
SINGAPORE
SOMALIA
SOUTH SUDAN
SUDAN
SYRIA
TAIWAN
THAILAND
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
UGANDA
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
VIET NAM
YEMEN
ZIMBABWE
Detailed Lists

#14 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,109 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 13:50

^ I see no need to embolden the USA in your list.  Or do you have a particular axe to grind that makes you want to single them out over all the others?

#15 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,096 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:29

Nitrous Oxide would be the easiest and least unpleasant method.

Put them under with nitrous, then deliver a spike to the brain stem from a captive bolt gun. Guaranteed.