1. Its the sole reason there are more like it.
2. Its bloatware that nobody really needs.
3. Its very unreliable, slow and always has connection problems, which in turn makes is completely useless to use in its other functions (which I called bloatware already). Why should I use it as an IM, if I and my friends get disconnected all the time and we need to change to a different IM then anyway?
Anyone remember Gamespy 3D/All-Seeing Eye times? You could always play games over them, even if some important server went poof. In Steam at least 5 times a week you cant play because they either are doing some crap update again or something simply goes kaputt.
I dont have anything against digital sales. But they promised to make them cheaper because they save packaging, discs, etc. But they didnt. Their stupid weekend sales are only good for easily manipulated people who buy everything that is cheap. And the account restriction and bonding is a joke. I saw one of my friends lose his whole collection of games because Valve ####ed up and he never got it back.
Wow dude, get up with the times
1. Yeah how DARE they come up with a system to easily get games digitally, created at a time where having a 2d/512k u connection was considered badass, they addressed a need, and pioneered digital distribution and have been at the top all this time because unlike the rest they actually get it
2. Anything that doesn't come in a basic Windows install can be called bloatware by the ignorant masses, not even close to a valid reason
3. Unless the last time you used it was back in the early days, then you are incorrect, I have been using it since almost the beginning, yes it was unreliable but so was Win XP, it's completely stable and usable nowadays, and is one of the few 3rd party apps that does not crash all the time in Win 8, AND I run the Beta client
That being said, it does need better integration into Metro, but that's not a real concern to most and likely not a real complaint by even the smallest of minority of Steam users