steam games for windows live microsoft origin ea uplay ubisoft valve pc

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 Veiva

Veiva

Neowinian

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:49

snip

As well, I don't believe the guy who makes most of his money off Windows users despises Windows, he just doesn't appreciate the direction it's heading in. I don't look forward to the possibility where Microsoft requires App Store publication to distribute on Windows 10 Cloud Edition, however slim a chance that may be.

#17 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:10

Possibly now things are changing, but they I doubt they will ever treat Windows as on par of above Xbox One.

So do I.  I just didn't expect this so I expect they're going to be doing a lot more than they did with the 360 gen.

#18 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:26

I agree with you 100% about uPlay. After being forced to install that to play my games, it's been a pig of a system. (N)

Origin, similar situation I guess. Don't like it, but don't use it much either.

As for Steam? Nothing wrong with it at all. Rock solid. Great service, great price. :)

#19 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:16

I agree with you 100% about uPlay. After being forced to install that to play my games, it's been a pig of a system. (N)

Origin, similar situation I guess. Don't like it, but don't use it much either.

As for Steam? Nothing wrong with it at all. Rock solid. Great service, great price. :)

Except you are being forced to install that to play games.

Mandatory on-line bloat-ware sucks GOG have the right idea. No bloatware to install just like the good old days.

#20 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:31

Mandatory on-line bloat-ware sucks GOG have the right idea. No bloatware to install just like the good old days.

Oh please. Don't even mention that place. They have backtracked on every 'ideology' that they had, pooping on their customers, leaving only the DRM-free zealots as their customers. Their packages are full of ######, bloating your system needlessly.

Maybe you should open up their installers to see that they install dependencies the games don't even freaking need.

Calling Steam rock solid. :laugh: Visual Studio runs better than that client.

#21 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:58

Calling Steam rock solid. :laugh: Visual Studio runs better than that client.

Keep dreaming.

Can't deny I need to install the client, but it's not a big deal considering everything it has to (and does) offer.

As for mandatory on-line? Nope, try again.

#22 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:08

Steam is inferior to GFWL? :huh: :laugh:  That's a new one.

Why does Steam insists on installing DirectX with every new game I buy?

http://www.rockpaper...ctx-repeatedly/

-----

Topic cleaned. Reminder to you all

Please discuss topics respectfully. Attempts to bait others into flamewars will not be tolerated. The use of "fanboy" (or any similar derogatory term) when used against a specific member or group of members will be considered flame-bait and/or a personal attack. You also may not join a discussion for the purpose of destroying it by making lame and unhelpful comments. Such people will be dealt with accordingly. In summary, no flamebaiting, no trolling and no personal attacks.

#23 MyNamesTheDoctor

MyNamesTheDoctor

Neowinian

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:14

If only they let Silver have some form of multiplayer free; the real reason I believe gamer's rejected Games for Windows Live and Xbox for Windows (gaming). So we're left with three inferior (IMO) services:

1. Steam

2. Origin

3. and now, Uplay? Seriously? Rewards? Actions? Not to mention the website was down for two days after I bought this game, when it came back up I had to use Chrome.

Why couldn't they just get it right.

Since you clearly seem to think that you know better than the companies you slammed, I challenge you to release a game platform/service and do better than those companies have done. Competition within an industry usually leads to better products, so if you know better than Microsoft, Valve, EA, and Ubisoft, excellent! So please, show us what you can come up with and impress us!  :) Eagerly looking forward to seeing what sort of design and service you will release.

#24 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:26

Man, you've got to be on some pretty strong stuff to try to say Steam is worse than Live.

#25 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:40

Uplay ruins my Steam Big Picture Mode experience by opening up & stealing focus when the game is closed. If left to run in the background after, it stops the next Ubisoft game from automatically launching from Steam.

#26 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:42

Keep dreaming.

Keep dreaming?

#27 coolhund

coolhund

Neowinian

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:50

Nothing will beat Steam in price, convenience, or crazysales

What's so bad about Steam anyways? 

1. Its the sole reason there are more like it.

2. Its bloatware that nobody really needs.

3. Its very unreliable, slow and always has connection problems, which in turn makes is completely useless to use in its other functions (which I called bloatware already). Why should I use it as an IM, if I and my friends get disconnected all the time and we need to change to a different IM then anyway?

Anyone remember Gamespy 3D/All-Seeing Eye times? You could always play games over them, even if some important server went poof. In Steam at least 5 times a week you cant play because they either are doing some crap update again or something simply goes kaputt.

I dont have anything against digital sales. But they promised to make them cheaper because they save packaging, discs, etc. But they didnt. Their stupid weekend sales are only good for easily manipulated people who buy everything that is cheap. And the account restriction and bonding is a joke. I saw one of my friends lose his whole collection of games because Valve ######ed up and he never got it  back.

#28 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 04 May 2014 - 14:14

1. Its the sole reason there are more like it.

2. Its bloatware that nobody really needs.

3. Its very unreliable, slow and always has connection problems, which in turn makes is completely useless to use in its other functions (which I called bloatware already). Why should I use it as an IM, if I and my friends get disconnected all the time and we need to change to a different IM then anyway?

Anyone remember Gamespy 3D/All-Seeing Eye times? You could always play games over them, even if some important server went poof. In Steam at least 5 times a week you cant play because they either are doing some crap update again or something simply goes kaputt.

I dont have anything against digital sales. But they promised to make them cheaper because they save packaging, discs, etc. But they didnt. Their stupid weekend sales are only good for easily manipulated people who buy everything that is cheap. And the account restriction and bonding is a joke. I saw one of my friends lose his whole collection of games because Valve ####ed up and he never got it  back.

Wow dude, get up with the times

1. Yeah how DARE they come up with a system to easily get games digitally, created at a time where having a 2d/512k u connection was considered badass, they addressed a need, and pioneered digital distribution and have been at the top all this time because unlike the rest they actually get it

2. Anything that doesn't come in a basic Windows install can be called bloatware by the ignorant masses, not even close to a valid reason 

3. Unless the last time you used it was back in the early days, then you are incorrect, I have been using it since almost the beginning, yes it was unreliable but so was Win XP, it's completely stable and usable nowadays, and is one of the few 3rd party apps that does not crash all the time in Win 8, AND I run the Beta client 

That being said, it does need better integration into Metro, but that's not a real concern to most and likely not a real complaint by even the smallest of minority of Steam users 

#29 Lenny Bruce

Lenny Bruce

Catch-22 Fanboy

Posted 04 May 2014 - 15:08

Long live Steam.

'Nuff said.

I heard that GTA IV on PC used GfWL, and a lot of people hated it... or maybe that was the poor optimization of the port, which would then be Rockstar's fault....

#30 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 04 May 2014 - 16:10

Any more issues from this topic and it will be closed.

Ridiculous that some of you can't discuss a simple topic without resorting to personal attacks.