Windows 8 Tablet ( full edition NOT RT )

I am thinking about buying one of those 8 inch Intel atom quad core windows 8 full edition tablets x86 architecture not the RT so it can run all the windows legacy apps.

However I am used to using android and you can do a system reset easily. Anyone know how one would re install windows 8 on these 8 inch tablets?? Is there a reset button like android has?

Also since it can run windows legacy apps its vulnerable to viruses so what happens if I cant boot up? How can you re install windows?

Basically, you would treat it as you would any x64 bit hardware. Hell, put an external DVD drive on that, and you can do with it as you want. Yes, there is backup and restore. And yes, it still is prone to malware just as legacy Windows is, but Windows 8 has better safeguard in place that better protect it, including new boot sector protections.

So in the modern control panel there is a way to re install from scratch?? or is this just the reset?

Also this is off topic but the windows store will it automatically only show apps for the x86 apps if I am running full version of windows 8 on the tablet instead of the RT apps for ARM?  Also some users with full windows 8 on desktops might download an app from windows store to only realize they cant use the app or game because they don't have a touch screen on their desktop.

So in the modern control panel there is a way to re install from scratch?? or is this just the reset?

Also this is off topic but the windows store will it automatically only show apps for the x86 apps if I am running full version of windows 8 on the tablet instead of the RT apps for ARM?  Also some users with full windows 8 on desktops might download an app from windows store to only realize they cant use the app or game because they don't have a touch screen on their desktop.

See attached screenshot for the recovery options listed.

As for the Windows Store, it'll show every app available. If it's not meant to run on x86, then you simply cannot install it. It'll tell you not available. I'm not sure what you mean by the last statement, but yes, some of the games are meant for touch only. Not every app is like that. Many of the productivity apps can be easily used with a mouse.

post-420821-0-68447300-1399234205.png

I would not want to download a game and then find out its touch only on my windows 8 desktop.  Thanks for the screenshot and the description on the recovery as I might buy a windows 8 tablet 8 inch x86 intel atom as well

As for the windows 8 store it might be kinda annoying then trying to download applications and then finding out half of them only run on the Windows RT. Where's android store everything will work. To bad no way to have it only display apps that will work on the correct CPU architecture.

As for the windows 8 store it might be kinda annoying then trying to download applications and then finding out half of them only run on the Windows RT. Where's android store everything will work. To bad no way to have it only display apps that will work on the correct CPU architecture.

There is. x86-only apps do not show on Windows RT. Or at least, they shouldn't.

There is. x86-only apps do not show on Windows RT. Or at least, they shouldn't.

They do. I have VLC show up in my downloaded apps on my Surface RT, even though VLC cannot run on RT.

They do. I have VLC show up in my downloaded apps on my Surface RT, even though VLC cannot run on RT.

Well, that's different. It's in your downloaded apps list. You did download it, so it's (arguably) appropriate that it should appear.

x86 apps won't show up on an RT machine if you do a search for an app on the store, as OP asked.

It must be difficult for app creators to make a metro app for Windows 8 and Windows RT because a mobile device could be RT or Windows 8 with Atom Process for metro tablet. While Android and iOS just run on ARM. Seems like a headache for them to make 1 app for both RT and Windows 8.

Keep secure boot enabled and you should be OK with regards to malware. You're unlikely to get any via the store, otherwise the same rules apply as normal just take care with what you download.

It must be difficult for app creators to make a metro app for Windows 8 and Windows RT because a mobile device could be RT or Windows 8 with Atom Process for metro tablet. While Android and iOS just run on ARM. Seems like a headache for them to make 1 app for both RT and Windows 8.

What? No, just no. It takes a few checkboxes to deploy to both environments, if you're using .NET for development of those apps.

All they would have to do is code for RT. RT runs on Windows 8 Pro. x86 just isn't "backwards compatible" with RT

Don't have touch capabilities on my desktop, and have had no issues with any of the few Metro apps I have working with mouse and keyboard

This whole "Metro is for touch" are straight up lies and FUD by the XP loving crowd toi justify their inane hatred for a superior OS, there's a whole thread here of them desperately trying to hold on to that relic of an OS, but they should be ignored, they are clueless 

Don't have touch capabilities on my desktop, and have had no issues with any of the few Metro apps I have working with mouse and keyboard

This whole "Metro is for touch" are straight up lies and FUD by the XP loving crowd toi justify their inane hatred for a superior OS, there's a whole thread here of them desperately trying to hold on to that relic of an OS, but they should be ignored, they are clueless

Problem is, no one had issues using Metro on Windows Media Center, and many cried when Microsoft more or less discontinued it. Now all of a sudden, it's a horrible thing on the desktop. I just don't understand the hate.

Problem is, no one had issues using Metro on Windows Media Center, and many cried when Microsoft more or less discontinued it. Now all of a sudden, it's a horrible thing on the desktop. I just don't understand the hate.

Let's not burst their little hate bubble now Dot

I think app developers are giving the WinRT framework a bad image. There is no reason to not implement a good mouse + keyboard support. Bleh, you don't even need to support touch. Just make a desktop-like app that is fullscreen.

I think app developers are giving the WinRT framework a bad image. There is no reason to not implement a good mouse + keyboard support. Bleh, you don't even need to support touch. Just make a desktop-like app that is fullscreen.

Personally, I think developers are the weakest link. For every good one, there's dozens of others who... Just don't care too much. And that's on any platform, not just Windows.

Hello,

You might want to wait a bit and look for tablets with Intel Bay Trail x64 CPUs to appear.  While there's little difference from a usability perspective, this would allow to you take advantage of some additional security features.  Also, it's possible they will ship with more RAM, which is always nice, since most tablets' memory is soldered onto the motherboard and non-upgradeable.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

There's not really any competition that holds up to the Surface anyway, the decision should be pretty easy to make: Buy the current or wait for the next generation of Surface Pro?