Want to start drinking wine - HELP

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 leedogg

leedogg

Neowinian Senior

• 2,124 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 20:14

I would suggest starting with a moscato wine - they are on the sweeter side.  Linderman bin 50 is like a sweet sparkly wine.

#17 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,959 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 20:20

"Wine"

"Sweet"

Top comedy.

#18 Tews

Tews

Professional Lurker

• 1,976 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 20:24

Find a local wine shop and talk to them.  A lot of places will even let you sample them...  :)

#19 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,551 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 05 May 2014 - 20:42

I would highly suggest finding a local (or at least "close" vineyard) that does wine tastings, and go to those. It's cheap, you get to try a bunch of different wines, and they usually let you keep the glasses.

My girlfriend and I did a wine tour last summer through a bunch of different vineyards around southern and south-western Connecticut, and it was really great.

Like others have said, Moscatos are really sweet, and can be good for beginners. Though, I would recommend getting a rose (or rosé?) wine, which is a blend of red and white. They're sweet, but not as sweet as a Moscato, and they're pretty mild in terms of dryness and bitterness. I think you might like them.

#20 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,792 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 05 May 2014 - 20:44

As has been said, a local wine shop would be good or even better - try and find a wine tasting course! I tried one evenings wine tasting course once (thanks to a voucher my ex-girlfriend had) which was basically just dipping into a 10 or so week course. It was great! The people were really nice and the guy taking the course supplied the wine, had tasting notes for it all, and ranged the quality from basic supermarket plonk up to some seriously decent stuff. It focussed on a specific region or country each week so you got to try all sorts of things. It'd be an excellent place to start if you want to get some good knowledge and fast-track yourself into the world of wine. 

Not sure how good Alabama would be for that sort of thing - I'm speaking of my experience here in the UK. 

Ah - looks like there is a pretty decent wine 'scene' in your area :)

http://www.alabamawinetrail.net

#21 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,551 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 05 May 2014 - 20:45

Find a local wine shop and talk to them.  A lot of places will even let you sample them...  :)

This is definitely true if you have a nice liquor store near you. Some liquor stores are just sh-- holes, and I would trust their recommendations about as far as I could throw them.

#22 OP SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• 6,683 posts
  • OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 05 May 2014 - 21:12

I think the wine tasting place is probably my best start. You guys can have all the suggestions in the world, but everyone's tastes are different and I don't want myself or my wife to loose interest due to buying a $10-$20+ bottle of wine to try and not liking it and feeling like its a waste of money.  I am going to see if I can find a wine tasting place locally and start there. 

Thanks for the suggestions guys

#23 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,876 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 21:15

As far as types, i'd recommend Pinot Noir, "easy" taste if I had to describe and good for "first comers"

#24 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,156 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 21:31

How about this... look at what foods you enjoy and discuss a wine that would compliment well at your local wine merchants.  They WILL let you sample.

#25 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,209 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 21:39

Keep # 5 in mind when you're purchasing wine:

http://www.cracked.c...rofessions.html

I've had $100 bottles (was a gift, would never spend that kind of money on wine), I've had $10 bottles.  The $10 basically tasted like the same thing.  Don't waste your money on expensive wines, but don't go TOO cheap either (a $3 bottle is only good to induce a hangover)

Personally I like white wines, while my wife loves red. I absolutely hate red wine, never had one I liked.

Definitely recommend the wine tasting to figure out your tastes but once that's done you're fine going to a liquor store to buy it.

#26 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,156 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 21:47

I've had $100 bottles

And that is still not expensive for wine.  But agreed, unless your palatte is attuned to wines (mine is not) then that is too much to be spending right now.

#27 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,209 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 21:50

And that is still not expensive for wine.  But agreed, unless your palatte is attuned to wines (mine is not) then that is too much to be spending right now.

I get what you're saying but honestly palette has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's been proven time and again that wine tasting is a bunch of BS. Here's another good article:

http://tinyurl.com/nqbm5ml

#28 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 21:57

Get a menu from a local 'classy' restaurant. Then track down the wines at the liquor depot. Best if you can ask the server which ones are the most popular, and start with those.

If you are serious and want to focus on reds, invest in a wine aerator, and a wine sealer/pump to remove the air from the bottle. you store it for 3 days max.

#29 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,156 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 22:09

It's been proven time and again that wine tasting is a bunch of BS

How do you mean, are you trying to argue that a £300 bottle is no "better" than a £30?

#30 kennyout

kennyout

Irregular Poster From Time Long Ago

• 4,329 posts
  • Phone: Android (Motorolla Droid RAZR MAXX HD)

Posted 05 May 2014 - 23:11

If you want to try a bunch of different wines, Wine tasting is great way. :)

There is a massive range of Red, Pink, and White wines, and Blends. Most are based on Grape varieties (some blended, which some pinks are of red and white).  There are also Meads which are fruit based wines, high sweet and flavorful. Some are mellow, some are middle-ground, some are higher flavored, and some are downright "spicy".

Personally I tend to prefer Red wine, because most white wines are "drier" as in the tannin amount (see winkipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannin ). In fact Wikipedia has a good quick rundown of wine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine. Also the reds I tend to go for have hints of chocolate, dates, cherries, raspberries, other berries, peppery, and some other hits. I go for sweet reds, and reds based on Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Syrah / Shiraz, and blend of such.

I have been buying some wines from Sam's Club (I'm sure Costco also has a massive collection). Any Wine/Liquor store should have a collection to go from. A Winery would mostly have their own regional types, and small production batch runs you could not get at any of the retail establishments.

Also once you get into wine, you begin to know which ones would do well in food. Not just pairing with for eating/drinking, but cooking with. Example: Red Wine Chocolate cake ( http://smittenkitche...chocolate-cake/ ). :blushing:  :innocent:  :devil:

Good Luck on your adventure into the world of Wine! :fun: