Maximum overclocking for AMD A10-7850K

Hi guys,

I am about to complete my first build using an AMD A10-7850K - base clock of 3.7GHz, turbo to 4.1GHz.

The motherboard I am using is the ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+.

I am wondering what the highest overclock people have achieved on this CPU is on the stock cooler as I am unable to afford a better one just yet.

I am using the Corsair Carbide 200R case which is well-ventilated despite only including 2 120mm fans in the box - I will be upgrading these and filling all 8 fan mounts with a mixture of 120mm and 140mm from the Corsair AirSeries very soon so case cooling isn't a problem.

Please indicate below what you are running your A10-7850K at on the stock cooler and with how many case fans this is with. Please only post if the CPU is running happily at that clock speed and is not regularly overheating etc - it is stable and on the stock cooler.

As an additional thing, if you overclock an A10-7850K on a non-stock cooler please also indicate what overclock you have applied and which cooler is in use for my information.

Thanks,

Ilmiont

I just use the A-Tuning utility to do it w/ the Extreme6+, cause I'm not much of an overclocker.

With the default HSF, you're going to probably have to push your BIOS fan settings pretty high.  I've heard the VRM may well be the main problem on my mobo, but alas, I know not.

I'm currently using a Hyper 212 Evo cause its effective without the noise.

Thanks, I actually forgot ASRock A-Tuning despite reading about it the other day when the 'board arrived... guess I'll just use that too. 

watch those temps closely. the stock fan wont help too much. bump it up very slow, and dont touch the voltage yet.

Run prime 95 and see how hot your system gets before overclocking it, that will give you an idea how much headroom you have. Typically most CPU's are capable of withstanding about 80c or so (though if you need the CPU to last I would personally try and keep it below 70). Once you've gotten a baseline overclock in small increments until you hit a temperature you're happy with.

Honestly though, if you want to overclock I would sincerely advise you to get a better HSF assembly.

Instead of spending the money to buy a bunch of fans, I'd recommend buying a closed-loop water cooler such as a Corsair Hydro. Those APUs run very hot, so I don't think you'll get very far with the stock cooler.

I would strongly consider not overclocking until you get a proper heatsink for doing so.

Sure you'll get some sort of overclock with the default setup but the risk for outweighs the reward at that point in time.

Some things it is best to wait until you have the proper and necessary equipment before attempting to do them.

It would be like saying you need to cut down a tree and knowing you need a chainsaw to do so properly, but only having a butter knife and deciding to still try and cut down the tree.

It would be like saying you need to cut down a tree and knowing you need a chainsaw to do so properly, but only having a butter knife and deciding to still try and cut down the tree.

Or a herring? :laugh:

But yes, get a good heatsink before you even think about overclocking.

OK thanks for the advice, any suggestions on what heatsink I should look at for this CPU??? I don't want watercooling yet --- just a decent air cooler for installation in a few weeks.

Ilmiont

Any cooler is better than stock. Cooler Master 212 is a great choice.

OK thanks for the advice, any suggestions on what heatsink I should look at for this CPU??? I don't want watercooling yet --- just a decent air cooler for installation in a few weeks.

Ilmiont

Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2, but it's pricy!

I have always had good luck with Thermaltake heatsinks. They will not break the budget, are "mid-range" but have always done the job for me.

Something like this I believe would work for you, but do not quote me on that please.

I just quickly Googled your CPU's socket type, which is FM2+ if I am not mistaken, then went to NewEgg real quick, looked at heatsinks, typed in FM2+, and got this as a result, but it only lists FM2, so not sure if that means it will in fact work or not. So I am just showing it as a reference.

I also found a decent looking heatsink by EVGA, but it is out of stock. Full disclosure, I have never used their heatsinks but all of my GPU's and past two motherboards have been EVGA, so I have a slight preference towards them just because they have always given me zero issues on those two components, and updating firmware and BIOS has always been a smooth process. I also have always used their Precision X app for my GPU's as well and really like it.

So I present those heatsinks not to say get these, but just to give you an idea of decent mid ranged heatsinks that will get you started in the world of Overclocking itself. If you get serious with it you would want to probably get better heatsinks overall, but those should be good enough to get you started and still obtain decent clocks. 

then went to NewEgg real quick, looked at heatsinks

Thank you so much for doing that!

Let me explain... I live in the UK and so have never used NewEgg before as they have always been in my mind as a US-only site. Imagine my intense delight then when I click on your link and find a little welcome message saying that NewEgg now ships to the UK! Their prices seem to be consistently the best around and I have always wanted to shop with them... now I finally can! Sadly, I have found them again just a little too late... Amazon are already shipping the rest of the components for my build to me. :)

[EDIT]: I wish I hadn't even looked through all this but it turns out I would be ?30 more left in my bank account if I had known that NewEgg now ship to the UK at the start of last week.... Grrrrrrr that is frustrating. Feels like I've wasted ?30. NewEgg are ?5 cheaper on everything in my build than Amazon than the A10-7850K is just ?111 there... I paid Mr. Amazon ?125 for it. Well at least I know for the future.

Thank you so much for doing that!

Let me explain... I live in the UK and so have never used NewEgg before as they have always been in my mind as a US-only site. Imagine my intense delight then when I click on your link and find a little welcome message saying that NewEgg now ships to the UK! Their prices seem to be consistently the best around and I have always wanted to shop with them... now I finally can! Sadly, I have found them again just a little too late... Amazon are already shipping the rest of the components for my build to me. :)

[EDIT]: I wish I hadn't even looked through all this but it turns out I would be ?30 more left in my bank account if I had known that NewEgg now ship to the UK at the start of last week.... Grrrrrrr that is frustrating. Feels like I've wasted ?30. NewEgg are ?5 cheaper on everything in my build than Amazon than the A10-7850K is just ?111 there... I paid Mr. Amazon ?125 for it. Well at least I know for the future.

No problem and do not beat yourself up over it, you live and learn. (Y)

I actually did not even know they would ship to UK. I did see you were from the UK but was just using NewEgg as a reference for you, so that is good news they now ship to you. I personally have always used either them or Amazon, and the only reason I did use Amazon over NewEgg was I actually do get charged tax from NewEgg (believe you guys over there refer to it as Vat??) so Amazon used to save me money over NewEgg, but now that Amazon also charges tax, I will probably do all my shopping with NewEgg, as they are a great site and their shipping is phenomenal. I usually get anything I order from them the very next day, and I have never chosen Next Day Shipping.

Good luck with everything. (Y)