#1 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,683 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 May 2014 - 23:30

http://www.nytimes.c...-gun-lobby.html

http://www.theverge....smart-guns-away

America fighting smartguns because they make gun ownership safer. NRA getting ever more ridiculous. Being gun and tech it's weird none of the gun enthusiasts on Neowin hasn't posted this yet. 

At this point the fear that non smart guns will be illegal any time soon seems ridiculous as this one gun isn't going to qualify as general availability, price would also account for it, so their fear that guns will become to expensive(:rolleyes:) also seems unfounded, smartguns will become a lot cheaper as they become generally available. 

as for tech reliability. maybe they need to back up those nebulous claims with some facts. 

I'm more surprised that there actually is a law that will ban non smartguns when smartguns become generally available to the public. but the NRA threatening to but burn stores that sell them and threathening the owners... that's just unacceptable and shows that many of these gun owners should never be allowed to own a gun. 

#2 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,946 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:32

i certainly do not want my gun to connect to the internet

#3 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,773 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:39

Consider this: if smart guns were such a great idea why doesn't law enforcement embrace them?

The idea of a "practical" smart gun got another undeserved boost with its appearance in Skyfall.

The fact is that smart guns often aren't that smart. They have a problem with misfiring (not good if you're being attacked) and if the battery is weak may not work at all.

Some types depend on a finger or palm-print reader, which can be spoofed, while others depend on a ring or other item worn by the registered user which can be appropriated if they are overpowered. Many can also be modded to bypass the system.

In reality they are an expensive gimmick that has not done well in the market, so the promoters did a great product placement in Skyfall and got the gun control people wound up.

#4 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,275 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:44

I'd never heard of em.  But the NRA being afraid of change would not surprise me.

#5 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,280 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:47

"Smart" guns are not that smart and actually dangerous when you actually need one, there's a reason no one anywhere has made one, not just teh US, they are unreliable and impractical

#6 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:51

NO device comes to market perfect. With production, new models get better and better. You all are insane not to want this.

#7 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,275 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:53

NO device comes to market perfect. With production, new models get better and better. You all are insane not to want this.

If there were better stats on suicide, they probably wouldn't have any problems with it.

#8 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,403 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:04

Consider this: if smart guns were such a great idea why doesn't law enforcement embrace them?

The idea of a "practical" smart gun got another undeserved boost with its appearance in Skyfall.

The fact is that smart guns often aren't that smart. They have a problem with misfiring (not good if you're being attacked) and if the battery is weak may not work at all.

Some types depend on a finger or palm-print reader, which can be spoofed, while others depend on a ring or other item worn by the registered user which can be appropriated if they are overpowered. Many can also be modded to bypass the system.

In reality they are an expensive gimmick that has not done well in the market, so the promoters did a great product placement in Skyfall and got the gun control people wound up.

That's not the argument here. As far as I can tell conventional firearms aren't being discontinued. You can still buy your "non-smart gun".

Why are people threatening and intimidating some women who is trying to market this device? Are smart guns not protected by the 2nd amendment? The lady in the article sums it up perfectly:

“Right now, unfortunately, these organizations that are scaring everybody have the power,” Ms. Padilla said. “All we’re doing is providing extra levels of safety to your individual right to bear arms. And if you don’t want our gun, don’t buy it. It’s not for everyone.”

"Smart guns" seem like a dumb idea to me. If I wanted to own a firearm, I wouldn't want it to have any electronics in it or depend on me wearing some other device to use it, but if someone wants to why is the gun lobby flipping out? You're 100% correct that it is a gimmick, but that is hardly a justification of the gun lobby's response.

#9 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,773 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:08

So while the bugs get worked out everyone should carry a weapon with a high probability of malfunction? Apply that to electronic steering on cars, which was only recently allowed on the street after decades of development with numerous troubles.

The fact is that small arms electronic fire control of all kinds have a LONG history of failure, sometimes not discharging when they should and other times going off when they shouldn't because of an RF or magnetic field spike.

No thanks.

#10 IsItPluggedIn

IsItPluggedIn

Neowinian

• 896 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:27

If they pull out the law about being required when generally available, there would be less backlash, but i still believe it would be high. If a law is needed maybe refine it only to automatic/semi automatic weapons. 

The real issue here is why the backlash is so violent from a group of people who by association have weapons to attack with. If it can be found that the NRA actually called for these threats, then it should be listed as a terrorist organization. Then be dismantled and people calling from violence be removed.

I'm ok with the idea of smart guns, but as Doc said not without better reliability testing, however the best way to get real world testing is to test them in the real world, if people want to buy them then let them buy them. Maybe with a some kind of labeling about concerns about malfunction. 

#11 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:08

So while the bugs get worked out everyone should carry a weapon with a high probability of malfunction? Apply that to electronic steering on cars, which was only recently allowed on the street after decades of development with numerous troubles.

The fact is that small arms electronic fire control of all kinds have a LONG history of failure, sometimes not discharging when they should and other times going off when they shouldn't because of an RF or magnetic field spike.

No thanks.

there would be little adaptation for those in critical situations. Almost virtually 100% of firearms are not actually "used" for self defence. You may have a gun for your own piece of mind but its almost a 100% certainty you will never use it for that purpose.  But as with most people that own a gun, they will however use it at a firing range (or wherever) for shooting stuff for fun. Here is where the bugs will be worked out. Don't trust it any ways? Almost all gun people have more than 1 gun, carry that one until you grow old and die. The next generation will carry the new ones that are almost flawless. (even the guns now don't work a guarenteed 100% of the time)

#12 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

• 2,456 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:20

Let me guess, smart guns are more safer, but the end goal of smart guns, is that in the future when the nwo starts to play, people who own guns wont even be able to defend themselves becuase the gun will know that the guy youre pointing at is a policeman. They are just trying to dumb down the nation.

#13 OP HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,683 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:55

Let me guess, smart guns are more safer, but the end goal of smart guns, is that in the future when the nwo starts to play, people who own guns wont even be able to defend themselves becuase the gun will know that the guy youre pointing at is a policeman. They are just trying to dumb down the nation.

Didn't even read up on what they are did you, much less the articles.

the ones in discussion here is a simple handgun that won't fire unless the shooter is also wearing a "watch" that has a short range radio signal that unlocks the firing mechanism. 

Don't see how these would fire on their own as either, since as I understand it, it's not electronic firing, just electronic safety. and some of you even go on about how guns are safe without safety. 

#14 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,773 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:56

there would be little adaptation for those in critical situations. Almost virtually 100% of firearms are not actually "used" for self defence. You may have a gun for your own piece of mind but its almost a 100% certainty you will never use it for that purpose. But as with most people that own a gun, they will however use it at a firing range (or wherever) for shooting stuff for fun. Here is where the bugs will be worked out. Don't trust it any ways? Almost all gun people have more than 1 gun, carry that one until you grow old and die. The next generation will carry the new ones that are almost flawless. (even the guns now don't work a guarenteed 100% of the time)

Thanks for proving proving how little you know about firearms or the defensibe use of same in the US.

#15 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:05

Thanks for proving proving how little you know about firearms or the defensibe use of same in the US.

lets take your own experience, Doc M, have you ever discharged your firearm in the USA at a person in self-defence?