Funniest Tech Comments Thread

So I was browsing Yahoo (of all places) which obviously has some tech-illiterate people, so I decided why not start a hilarious comment Tech comments thread? Sometimes people say the dumbest things ...

Rules:

Only tech comments

Comments may be found online or overheard in a tech store

Comments can also be made by friends or co-workers

I also realize that the tech people are not doing much to help Microsoft's case with Windows 8:

Yahoo Tech Rafe Needleman

Bad idea #2: Upgrade to Windows 8, like Microsoft wants you to
Why not get the latest version of Windows? It?s so shiny!

9fe33a9f1bce0894fc22a5f2d9018fe63cad26d8

Windows 8.1?s default interface. Get ready to re-learn Windows.

There are two big reasons why this is a bad idea. The first: It probably won?t work. Your old Win XP machine likely does not have the horsepower, the hard disk space, or the hardware to run Windows 8. 

Second: You?ll hate it. Windows 8 (including 8.1) has two separate interfaces. There?s a Windows desktop-like one in there, which you?ll probably find comfortable, but you have to go through the touchscreen-centric primary interface to get to it.

Later he says :

Better idea #2: Get a Mac
--------------------------------------

In response to apple's iPad shares declining:

I own an I-pad ($700.00 with tax for the 32MP version one) and a Google Nexus 7
($250.00 with 32MP). Both are very well made and I don't see any difference except for size between them. Now the I-pad sits in a closet as I prefer the smaller sized Nexus #$%$ fast. has a very sharp screen and does all I want it to. And will you look at that price difference? (I know, different sizes but I like the small one better. So, got a second Nexus for wife... . So these two units cost less than the one I-Pad. Come on Apple... I know the your echo system is strong, but your competitors are not far off on that front either. And that "cheap plastic" used to blast the Samsung phones... I note their is a lot of plastic in my I-Pad. Go Figure.

Your prices are just too high.

Whoa 32 MP? Echo system? Their (!) is a lot of plastic in my I-Pad (Wow, just wow)

And the XP Comments:

I had to get a new computer and it came with Windows 8 (then kept bugging me until it updated itself to 8.1) I agree with most people here. It stinks. A lemon, by any other name is still a lemon. My favorite was XP Professional. Heck even regular XP beats Windows 8 or 8.1 What's with all the apps? We don't run apps, we run programs. But Microsoft keeps heaping on garbage that we don't need so we need to get a faster computer to handle it, and now it seems like they've painted us all in a corner. Take the junk off the PCs, and go back to XP. Things take three steps that used to take one. You call that progress? Get off your couch and get us computers that actually do what we need them to do. As a writer this really ticks me off.

There's the OEM issue:

Just got a new PC windows 8 and I love it....however I keep getting pressure from microsoft to update to 8.1. I was advised by the manufacturer of the PC(hewlett-packard) that I should not do this as it will make the unit inoperable...

And those who still call File Explorer "My Computer"

Ok look, I want programs, not "apps." My laptop does NOT have a touchscreen so WHY would Windows make apps, standard? Apps installed on Windows 8 open VERY slowly, don't close easily, and why is my desktop filled with default apps that I have never, and will never use? An app for photos that I can make a sandwich while it loads, and only lets me look at 1 picture at a time instead of My Computer which shows all my available files? Sorry, Windows 8 is seriously making me want to toss my laptop, literally, toss it, and go buy an Apple.

Lastly, apparently David Pogue calls people tech gurus when they know how to open siri by long pressing the home button and waking the with the home button:

If you already know them--excellent! You can smile to yourself, knowing that you're a Real Guru. In the meantime, there's no reason to dump on people who might not know this stuff.

So I was browsing Yahoo (of all places) which obviously has some tech-illiterate people ...

If there were not some 'tech-illiterate' people, many of us would be out of a job. ;)

• Like 2

Hi all,

Will updates to the date remain or will WU simply not function anymore? leaving any computer in the condition it currently is.

WinXP was the last Win to have complete, yet not obvious, repair options on its install media, an SFC which actually used the install disc to repair erroneous files, the last to have a working search function - though they did try to screw over users with a Windows Search 4 update!!! - and did not have protections which only serve to hinder "power users". Win7 is good - when MS hasn't taken it down. When they do, it's System Restore [something I swore I would never use] or reinstall when that too goes down. The RE is pitiful. Disc images are out of the question for anyone constantly tweaking and the other repair tools are simply crap. SFC now doesn't bother using the install media so you often get a "yeah, your machine is knackered but I'm not going to do anything about it" when something is wrong with the online repository or correct functioning of the retrieval process. Permissions are a nightmare! Win will defend a broken install from a hacker attack [you - trying to fix it] but, when you manage to cicumvent it by overriding its permissions it then disallows itself some functionality that it previously only gave itself the right to do. Result? system will eventually fall over - hard! I've reinstalled Win7 at least once a year because of screw-ups not of my doing. This is not acceptable! I have never had to reinstall any XP from scratch. Where all else fails, the command prompt will allow one to fix a non-bootable system.

Sorry, I digressed into a rant.

Continuing on...

If WU ceases to function at all, is there a repository where one could download EVERY update made available for WinXP x86 SP3 and WinXP x64 SP2 up to and including the 8th April, to use to slipstream them into perfectly complete OSes?

When you've tamed them and secured them (by disabling MS' own ActiveX, anything remote/shared/other logon credentials, and also closing open ports) they're still solid working OSes. [don't believe the crap about WinXP x64. I'm on it now. It's solid as a rock, with x64 benefits, though there's no hibernate functionality with >4GB RAM - which is the only real shame]

I think Windows' reign is over and the deciding hand has been dealt by Valve's support of gaming under Linux.

Win7 could have saved them if they hadn't removed the good and useful aspects of XP and included terrible and debilitating aspects of V*st*. 8 is an illogical mess of ~love~ for ~censored~ who beg to be spied upon by corporates under Rome.

All OSes have pros and cons and I can vouch for some as I use various OEM releases of x86 and x64 XP Pro, various flavours of x86 and x64 Linux, x86 and x64 BSD [that's what Apple licence for their OSes - except it's better in its pure state] and one x64 Win7 Ultimate with a virtual XP environment - which is great for my photo printer which has no drivers released after said OS.

Excuse my ramblings and TIA for any insight into resources for XP updates or what will actually happen.

Unfortunately, "Windiz" ended a long time ago, else I'd have simply gone there.

best was in my windows 95 days. I get a call from user stating that they had squiggly lines on their monitor and didn't know how to get it off. I go to their computer and hit the spacebar to get back to the desktop because the screen saver was active they were in amazement of my technical abilities.

other crazy things that I've seen, people putting ide cables upside down screwing up their new drives, putting memory in backwards bending the pins on the motherboard.

by far the most ridiculous was the screensaver. there will always be misinformed people in this field. everyone knows somebody who does something in it, whether it be that they plug in a lamp or they were able to change a lightbulb it is all related to IT. this weekend I was asked to look at a PA system that was broken because I am in IT and they are similar according to the person that asked me to look at it. to many people, if it is run by a power source (wall socket or batteries) we should know how to fix it or get it to work.

•  

web/gadget guru  ?  24 days ago

You know what? I am running Windows 7 and want to know how many "windows" I have open currently? 68! I have 68 windows open on 3 separate screens. And I'm using them all! Text windows, spreadsheets and RDP sessions...I'm copying and pasting between all 68 different application windows. *WHY* would I want to "upgrade" to an OS that only allows me 4 windows? Why would I reduce my efficiency to such an extent? When I was running XP, I regularly had 50-60 windows open at any given time. My Android 4.1.2 tablet allows me to have 4 windows open as well...Windows 8 is a step in the *WRONG* direction...

Look what I saw today on an article on the Pro 3:

Pro 2 is too small for use in development. I end up using my old 17" i7 anyway.
I would like to see Pro 3 with VS or Eclipse open.
And I second complaints about W8! I can't stand no start button, Windows Explorer etc

http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-no-laptop-tablet-193607609--finance.html

Someone who turns off updates to his computer:

I have a Sony laptop with 8 and I remove the battery and unplug the charger to keep Microsoft out of my stuff . I don't ever turn it on with my modem on .

And those who still call File Explorer "My Computer"

I still call it that.

It's the only way to describe where I need users to go when I need them to go to a specific drive as many wouldn't understand "File Explorer" - not that it's even called that, they just renamed it to Computer for Windows 7, which is what I mainly deal with.