Internet Explorer Will Not Open a Local .rec File

Question

Hi guys,

Someone has presented me with the following issue. We have a file server that holds a number of .rec files. These files are like .xml files, and should open in Internet Explorer to display the code.

When the file is on the file server, Internet Explorer can open the file without a problem. When you copy the file to the local HDD and try to open the file, Internet Explorer opens a window that closes instantly, and you're left with a popup box asking if you want to open or save the file. Clicking either of these buttons just causes IE to open and close again, and another option of opening or saving the file.

.xml files still open in IE without a problem. I checked the file associations, and while .xml files are opened in the XML editor, .rec files are associated with Internet Explorer. However, I cannot locate the XML editor in question.

I think that if I tell Windows to associate .rec files with the XML editor it will solve the issue, but as I just mentioned I cannot find it anywhere. Even doing a search brings up nothing. My other thought was to remove the file association all together and then associate it with IE again to see if it fixes the issue.

So that is the problem, and here is my own issue. I cannot understand why when the file is on the file server it can be opened in IE without an issue, yet the moment you move it to the local HDD Internet Explorer decides that it doesn't like it anymore. In both instances it is the same Internet Explorer being used, and the same file.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions on this? A cursory glance at Google didn't seem to bring up an explanation or a solution.

EDIT: Shoot, forgot to mention that this is Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7.

15 answers to this question

Maybe it is a security thing -- what version of IE ?

Whoops, my fault sorry. Modified the original post to state that it's Internet Explorer 9 running on Windows 7. I need to restart my machine because of an update, but I'll check those links in a minute. (Y)

I just had a look at those links. 3 of them were referring to .rec as a video file - as mentioned, this .rec file is basically a .xml file. It should open in Internet Explorer and display code. The other link offers to fix the issue by downloading something. Given that this is a workplace machine having this issue I don't think that's wise.

I don't know if this applies to your situation or not:

What is .rec file?

The REC file extension is generally used for various recorded files. These can contain any multimedia content, session, macros or more. Such files are pretty common in digital devices that record audio or video. For example Topfield TF5800 uses *.rec files for its recorded videos. Also computer games like Company of Heroes uses *.rec files for its recorded matches - replays.

Help how to open REC files:

This file type is not meant to be opened directly, there is no software that could open and work with it directly, or there is no information available in public sources about opening this file type. This is usually the case of some internal data files, caches, temporary files etc.

How to convert file with extension REC:

As far as we know, this .rec file type can't be converted to any other file format. This is usually the case of system, configuration, temporary, or data files containing data exclusive to only one software and used for its own purposes. Also some proprietary or closed file formats cannot be converted to more common file types in order to protect the intellectual property of the developer, which is for example the case of some DRM-protected multimedia files.

http://www.file-extensions.org/rec-file-extension

Ok, maybe I should rephrase slightly. These .rec files used to be opened in Internet Explorer. They can still be used in Internet Explorer so long as they are located on the file server. When you move the file to the local HDD Internet Explorer no longer recognises it. This is not a multimedia file in any way, shape or form. It should display some code that resembles .xml code in Internet Explorer.

I can't figure out where the issue lies. The only difference is the location of the file.

Look thru the IE settings.

Maybe there is something to prevent opening 'external' files.

Also, maybe there is an anti-virus setting or firewall rules.

post-37120-0-51391900-1399474735.jpg

Drop a .rec file on the desktop and tell me what icon shows up.

I'm betting Windows has .rec mapped to the wrong application.

Let's try a different approach. Where can I find this:

Ve5y82M.jpg

Where is the physical location of the XML Editor? When I try to change the file association of the .rec file the XML Editor doesn't appear, but I assume I can get to it by browsing?

Drop a .rec file on the desktop and tell me what icon shows up.

Ah, I should have possibly mentioned that.

Here's an example:

L8h0YsE.jpg

But again, this doesn't explain why IE has no problem opening the file when it's on the server, but not when it is locally stored. I'm baffled.

Ah, I should have possibly mentioned that.

Here's an example:

L8h0YsE.jpg

But again, this doesn't explain why IE has no problem opening the file when it's on the server, but not when it is locally stored. I'm baffled.

If you right click, can you send a screenshot of properties? I'm betting it's something to do with the wrong MIME type. 

Sounds like Internet Explorer is handing off to Windows Explorer to deal with the file because it's not being served from a webserver so is confused over the MIME type.

Cheers guys. I'm intrigued on the MIME idea - hadn't considered it. However, I'm now on holiday so it doesn't matter too much until Monday. :p

A friend suggested that there might be a style sheet on the file server that can't be found on the local drive.

Any whose, any other ideas are welcome. (Y)