Should AMD A10-7850K come with thermal paste in the box?

Hi guys,

I just received a new AMD A10-7850K to use in my first build in a few days. However, there is no thermal paste supplied. Should there be?

In the box is the actual APU in a plastic thingy with a sticker for my case (love case stickers!), the heatsink in a plastic tray and the manual/certificate authenticity thing.

No thermal paste.

Having never unboxed a processor before I'm not really sure if there should be but it does seem odd... I'm going to be running the stock heatsink for a bit too so no thermal could be an issue. There does seem to be a sticky substance on the base of the heatsink though --- is this AMD's idea of 'thermal paste'?

Please allay my concerns (and thanks, as ever, in advance if you do!),

Ilmiont

OK thanks a lot for that. Phew.

Well actually not really because I'm still using a horrible AMD heatsink for a few weeks but anyway :)

what colour is the sticky stuff on the heatsink

only reason i ask is when i search for the CPU i see this in the recommended ADDONS

post-229387-0-41495600-1399476694.jpg

If you ordered a retail version version it will come with a heatsink with thermal paste preapplied. If you ordered the OEM version it does not come with a heatsink.

That sticky substance which you mentioned is the thermal paste. It's already applied on a new heatsink for you, although it's cheap nasty stuff.

Hi guys,

I just received a new AMD A10-7850K to use in my first build in a few days. However, there is no thermal paste supplied. Should there be?

In the box is the actual APU in a plastic thingy with a sticker for my case (love case stickers!), the heatsink in a plastic tray and the manual/certificate authenticity thing.

No thermal paste.

Having never unboxed a processor before I'm not really sure if there should be but it does seem odd... I'm going to be running the stock heatsink for a bit too so no thermal could be an issue. There does seem to be a sticky substance on the base of the heatsink though --- is this AMD's idea of 'thermal paste'?

Please allay my concerns (and thanks, as ever, in advance if you do!),

Ilmiont

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that ANY boxed CPU lacks either a tube of thermal paste OR a pre-applied HSF  - Intel retail-boxed CPUs all include an HSF with thermal paste pre-applied.  (AMD did the same iwth retail-boxed Athlons, Operons, and even their Semprons and Turions.)  It's only if you use an aftermarket HSF that you need to purchase thermal paste separately, for the most part.)

Check the HSF - it may have thermal paste pre-applied; For Intel CPUs, this has always been the case.

It's only *cheap* if you overclock - however, if you are staying with stock clocking, it certainly does the job.

(Data point - my ASUS P5G41M-LX2/GB, due to the G41 chipset, is absolutely un-overclockable.  Therefore, my refurbished Q6600 is running absolutely bone-stock.  It came iwth the original pre-applied-with-paste HSF (unused by the original owner, who DID overclock due to his motherboard allowing such), and the HSF - stock paste and all - has more than held up.)