NBC just locked down Olympics coverage for the next 18 years

NBC will be the only place to watch the Olympics for a very, very long time. The network has just locked down exclusive US rights to Olympic Games coverage through 2032. The new deal is extremely broad and covers just about any broadcast scenario you can think of, including free-to-air television, cable/satellite TV, internet, and mobile viewing. Today's announcement extends an existing deal with the International Olympics Committee that previously spanned through 2020. The new aspect of the pact, which covers 2021 to 2032, is valued at $7.65 billion.

More....

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/7/5691326/nbc-locks-down-olympics-coverage-through-2032

It seems like that shouldn't be allowed. Then again does anyone watch the Olympics anyway?

Yes, the summer olympics specifically are very entertaining.

• Like 3

I'm just curious, how much do other countries media companies put down for media rights or are US companies, specifically NBC, the only ones stupid enough to give them so much money.

Fox has zero to do with this. NBC's coverage is just not all that, especially to those of us brought up watching ABC's Wide World of Sports and their special events coverage.

How stupid is this?     Olympics are public even and should be broadcast by anyone who wants it!

freedom of speech? freedom of media? is there nothing against this anywhere in US laws?

How stupid is this?     Olympics are public even and should be broadcast by anyone who wants it!

freedom of speech? freedom of media? is there nothing against this anywhere in US laws?

1: They are not a "Public Event"

2: Educate yourself on Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Press

1: They are not a "Public Event"

Really? 

Are you absolutely sure in what you are saying?

I might not be right about this having anything to do with freedom of press (that is why I put it in tiny tiny font with a question mark),

but it seem that it is you, who needs to educate yourself on "public event" definition!

Also stop being so patronizing to others, and arrogant in your response!  Especially since you are moderator.

A public event, as the name suggests, could refer to any event open for the general public. Exhibitions, expositions, fairs, festivals, entertainment, cause-related, fundraising, and leisure events are all examples of a public event. Any event that is a one-time or periodic, free or ticketed, cultural, charitable or cause-related, and conducted for the purpose of attracting revenue, support, awareness, and/or for entertainment purposes, and created by and/or for the general public is generally referred to as a public event.

Are you still thinking that Olympics are not a perfect example of a public event?

Wasn't it NBC that mucked up the last one for American viewers? I don't know, I don't pay much attention to sports. However, if so I hope they have learned from their mistakes.

Unfortunately the modern days Olympics isn't a public display.

sure it is. anyone can watch it if they buy tickets or buy the tv channels that air them if they don't have them already. 

sure it is. anyone can watch it if they buy tickets or buy the tv channels that air them if they don't have them already. 

:rofl:

NBC did a good job with Sochi, well except for Bob Costas, he needs to be replaced with someone with more personality and less political BS.

Thank God there is internet. So you can watch many different broadcasters and pick the one that suits you the most.

rights to the Olympics are bought by the highest bidder in every country. 

Not strictly true, In the UK the summer Olympics are a protected event which means they must be available for everyone to watch free of charge (as long as they have a TV license).

That doesn't actually mean that BBC is the only one allowed to buy it. 

I believe we have the same law here in Norway, and this year was the first year our BBC equivalent didn't get the rights.

We have a second national broadcaster(Well we have several, but this one is licensed on a different level) which has to follow the same rules as our BBC equivalent. in language support, news and all that. the difference is that they are ad supported/commercial and don't get any of the tv license money. But they have to be available to all people. well they used to be there's been some regulation changes there now, so you could not have them. 

Because the public had some hysteria over this, they offered everyone free trial subscription to their web service where they could watch all the olympic events throughout the olympics. They did a good job despite some complaints and got better and since they have more economic muscle it's expected that our "BBC" most likely won't ever be showing olympics again. 

I don't really care either way. As long as I don't have to watch it I'm fine :p

It seems like that shouldn't be allowed. Then again does anyone watch the Olympics anyway?

Yes, just not on NBC though because they're rather crap as far as the Olympics are concerned...

Really? 

Are you absolutely sure in what you are saying?

I might not be right about this having anything to do with freedom of press (that is why I put it in tiny tiny font with a question mark),

but it seem that it is you, who needs to educate yourself on "public event" definition!

Also stop being so patronizing to others, and arrogant in your response!  Especially since you are moderator.

Are you still thinking that Olympics are not a perfect example of a public event?

In your comment you say they are a Public Event and should be broadcast by anyone who wants it. Well just like any other professional sporting event, they are run by money, and money dictates who broadcast them, who gets into them, etc. So NO they are not open to anyone who wants it. 

So by your definition of Public Event (not the dictionaries) you are way off base. And my response was not arrogant, for you to even mention "Free Speech" or "Freedom of Press" in the context of this situation is completely absurd and shows on face value that you have NO idea what either one of those are. Because had you know what they were, you would know that they have nothing to do with this situation and therefore should have not even been brought up.

If this was somehow a topic about the government censoring the press or preventing it's citizens from speaking against the government, then maybe....