Windows 8.1 Update.

Me : I was wondering if you installed the Windows 8.1 Update

Them : yes, I installed The Windows 8.1 update when it came out

Me :  Wait, You installed 8.1 or the 8.1 update.

Them : I installed Windows 8.1 update for Windows 8.

Me : No there  is an update for Windows 8.1

Them : Oh, you mean there is an Update for the Windows 8.1 update I just installed For 8?

Me: Yes

Them : Oh I don't know if I installed that. Let met Check. Well I just went to the properties of  computer and it just says Windows 8.1 does that mean I have the update?

Me: No, I mean yes, I mean err... it doesn't say it there. You have to check Windows Updates its a large one, about 600mb

Them: Oh. Let me Check, well it says I have 5 updates none of them are 600 mb

Me: You have to install those first reboot and then check again, then it will show up.

Them : Oh, ok I got all the updates down now it says there is just 1 important update, but it there is no option for install.

Me: You can have click it put a check mark in the box and then then click install?

Them : If it's that important and required for all future updates, why isn't it already checked?

Me: No clue.

Later in 2014...

Did you get the Windows 8.1 update update?

:laugh:

Isn't this an important update in Windows Update? Or is it still optional?

Isn't this an important update in Windows Update? Or is it still optional?

Ya I don't know, I don't have a machine that didn't have it. I remember it showing up as optional but I cant' remember.... If it did I was going to add on to the joke.

Him : It shows up as optional ... so if it's optional why do I have to install it?

Me : Well it's a required update for all future updates, but it's optional to install.

They should've just called it 8.2 and keep going on that route for each big update. But also make it possible to download and then slipstream to create a new installation medium.

Installing Windows 8.1 from the store now seems to include the Spring Update with it, so that'll help clear some of the confusion among average users.

Installing Windows 8.1 from the store now seems to include the Spring Update with it, so that'll help clear some of the confusion among average users.

Correct... that was a very welcome surprise when I did that on a computer a few days ago.

Ya I don't know, I don't have a machine that didn't have it. I remember it showing up as optional but I cant' remember.... If it did I was going to add on to the joke.

Him : It shows up as optional ... so if it's optional why do I have to install it?

Me : Well it's a required update for all future updates, but it's optional to install.

Ye I remember back on release day that it was unchecked / optional. But oh! You've written this as a joke, I thought it was a case that you have had.

It can be avoided by asking is there a search button on the Start Screen.

It can be avoided by asking is there a search button on the Start Screen.

In which they respond... What's the start screen?

Correct... that was a very welcome surprise when I did that on a computer a few days ago.

Yup, I was surprised as well. :)

Now if only they'd provide Windows 8.1 Update 1 iso's that worked with Windows 8.0 product keys to the public. That would save a lot of time.

Yup, I was surprised as well. :)

Now if only they'd provide Windows 8.1 Update 1 iso's that worked with Windows 8.0 product keys to the public. That would save a lot of time.

why? Just use one of the the 3 generic keys for which ever version you have. Then after you are in windows for the first time go to activate, tell it you have a new key and enter your windows 8 key.

why? Just use one of the the 3 generic keys for which ever version you have. Then after you are in windows for the first time go to activate, tell it you have a new key and enter your windows 8 key.

Because the current ways to get the keys and .iso's is questionable. :/

Because the current ways to get the keys and .iso's is questionable. :/

It's not questionable if the hashes match! ;) :D

It's not questionable if the hashes match! ;) :D

Still seems sort-of questionable as it's not what they intended you to do. Oh well!

Also, is there a to get the Windows 8.1 Update 1 .iso publicly?

Why didn't you just ask if they had Windows 8.1 Update 1 installed.  Seems Windows 8.1 update is confusing to some who dont know.

It seems to be confusing a lot of people, inside and outside the IT industry.

In the properties of computer Why don't they just call it Windows 8.1.1

I'm having to pretty much go by "Is the windows store auto pinned to the task bar on an existing and/or new profile" for first glance.